1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Get a 2nd body now or wait for the E-P5 or new OM-D???

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by yekimrd, Feb 6, 2013.

1. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    With the Olympus sale going on and the price of second hand OM-D's getting lower, I'm seriously considering getting a second body; I only own primes and at times I've decided to forego a shot because I didn't want to keep on switching lenses.

I just wanted to hear from Mu43 members who either 1) own 2 bodies and prefer to shoot in this manner, or 2) tried using 2 bodies but later sold their 2nd body after realizing it wasn't worth the extra cost. :confused:

Also, for those that do recommend getting a second body, should I wait a little bit for the newer cameras to be announced or just bite the bullet then sell later even if at a loss? What I know for certain is that if a new OM-D comes out (or an E-P5 with better IBIS and either a NEX-like viewfinder or pop-up flash) that I'll buy that but still keep the E-M5 as a 2nd body.

Thanks in advance for your help! :smile:

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I picked up an EPM2 body when the price dropped recently. I don't like swapping lenses too much, and I prefer primes. I was thinking of waiting on the new EP5, but then I decided it might be nice to have a compact body in addition to my EM5. Sometimes I go out with the EM5 and EPM2 with two lenses mounted, sometimes I just take one body and one lens. It all depends on what I think I'll be shooting.

The draw for me re new bodies is a new sensor that's better at high ISO. My guess is Oly won't be going to a new sensor anytime soon, so I went ahead and added the EPM2. Now if they release a new body with a new sensor that's got even better high ISO performance, I'll want it immediately. :frown:

• Like Like x 1
  3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I already have 2 cameras, but my dream is to have a body per lens!:rofl:

Almost a necessity for my style of shooting out here in the wild. I just never know what I will take a picture of while standing still illegally in the middle of the road. :biggrin:

As far as what to get, I'd love 5 OM-Ds. If something much better comes along, an OM-D will always hold it's value higher than other bodies. m2c.

Hey! Good to have Cadillac problems isn't it? :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Many years ago I used to shoot wedding receptions with two bodies, one with color film and one with B&W, either two Nikon Fs or a Nikon F and a Nikon SP rangefinder. (The SP was kind of a collector toy and I now rue the day I sold it and its companion S3.)

These days I'm mostly a tourist photographer, which means that there is often no time for lens changes when a shot presents itself.

In addition to the obvious advantages of having two different lenses immediately available, two bodies means that if one dies, is lost, or gets stolen, you are not out of business. This is important to me when traveling.

Regarding the latest and greatest, my strategy is to buy from the early adopters. Let them take the depreciation and help the manufacturer wring out his design. I'll take the device (camera, computer, whatever ...) at 30-50% off when it comes on the market. Right now I am shooting 2 G1s, which I like a great deal for the ergonomics. I give up low light performance, so I expect to switch to a pair of OM-Ds at some point. But the G1s are entirely adequate for almost everything I shoot, so I am in no rush.

When I was shooting film, having two different model bodies was no big deal. With digital and the labyrinthine menus and multitudinous settings I found that anything but identical bodies leads too quickly to mistakes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I would say it depends on what you have to shoot. If you have time to changes lens, it's not too bad. If you have some action going around (kids for example) and you want to switch back and forth for portraits and the beautiful landscape you are in, 2 bodies is a lot more convenient. If you are covering an event (wedding for example), 2 bodies is a must (and I would say a minimum).

Then environnement can be a deciding factor too. If you are on the beach, it would be advisable to use 2 bodies instead of changing lens (wind, seasalt, sand = not a good place to change a lens and expose the sensor).

As for when? I would wait a bit. Rumors talk about an announcement in march so if you are not in a rush, I would wait until april. If you had lost your camera, I would say buy it now because life without a camera is too boring but for a second body, I would wait a a couple of months.

• Like Like x 1
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Not funny. I now have my 14 on the E-Pm1, the 45 on the E-PL5, and the 45-200 on the G3. I do have some 14-42 zooms but i don't use them. I need to buy another lens .. .

7. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I just ordered a new GX1 for $300. I plan on "glueing" the 20mm to it. My EM5 can deal with lens changes. I've got LAS( legacy acquisition syndrome) right now. Of course LAS is generally less costly than GAS. But wait....the GX1!:eek::mad::biggrin::rofl: Is the GX1 now considered "legacy"?

• Like Like x 1
  8. w4rmk

w4rmk New to Mu-43

Apr 19, 2011
    $879 refurb with the 14-42 lens is quite the deal. You can sell the lens for $100 and end up with an OM-D for $779. If they do come out with a new OM-D any time soon I suspect it won't be in that price range for at least a year.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I grew up in the film-only days, where zooms were made from the bottoms of Coke bottles.

(In a deep, Voice-of-God, inflection), ... In a world where only primes were sharp ... a real photographer used two bodies ... (end Voice-of-God).

I use two bodies, even with zooms I'm always changing lenses, so two pour moi. With primes, two is a must for how I shoot. Two will make your life of shooting much easier, but you'll get a lot more 'looks' and a lot more respect. :smile:

Gary

PS- As to the second body now or later ... this is all about photography, the sooner the better for you and all your fans around the world.
    G

• Like Like x 1
  10. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    This is exactly how I feel. :smile: Is the EPM2 really small? I have the Olympus messenger bag (the smaller black version) and am hoping it will fit with a small prime in one of the pockets that way I don't have to buy a new bag.

:rofl: Definitely agree that an OM-D will retain its value better than the other M43 bodies.

Penn State (where I work at) has this big annual event coming up (anyone familiar with THON or the Penn State Dance Marathon?) and I'm sure I'm going to have to constantly switch between my 17/1.8 and 75/1.8. This is the primary reason why I'm tempted to snatch up an E-PM2.

I can't wait till March/April. :biggrin:

I was thinking the same thing except for glueing my 17/1.8 to an E-PM2.

Where is this? I hope they sell cheap refurbished body only OM-D. Point me in the right direction... Link please...

Gary, careful, you're giving away your age. hehe... You often speak with words of wisdom, as if you were a prophet of the Camera God. :rofl: I'm keeping my eye out for a good priced silver OM-D -- that's to ensure that I get more looks than with my black OM-D. My wife always gets stopped by people asking if her camera (a silver OM-D) was film or digital. hehe...

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I dunno if the fashionistas would approve of contrasting camera bodies.

G

12. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I bought an EPL5 as a second body to my OMD. Problem is that I dont really like shooting with it - we just never hit it off from the first date so it doesnt get taken out any more.

So if I was to have 2 cameras I think I would like exactly the same cameras with exactly the same controls that I can switch easily between.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Two bodies will make your life so much easier and increase your keeper rate. I understand robbie36's frustrations switching between the two cameras, even if the EPL5 had an EVF, it would still be a brain twister. What do you do at Penn State?

G

• Like Like x 1
  14. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    So, if ever 2 OM-D's (whether it be the E-M5 or its successor) seems like the wiser choice then.

I treat children with cancer and blood diseases. I'm at the Med Center in Hershey (yes, where they make the chocolates) and not in State College, PA where the main campus is and where the yearly THON event is held.

15. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I previously owned an E-PL3 which is why I'm still somewhat receptive to buying an E-PM2. The one thing I never liked about the PENs is how anyone behind me can see what I'm trying to take a photo of. And I feel like adding an EVF adds bulk (not to mention cost) to the setup.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I always shoot with at least two bodies, when I'm really out to shoot. Only time you'll see me with only one body is if I'm not there to shoot.

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't find the EVF adds much bulk at all to the setup. Obviously the only time you're worried about bulk is when packing the thing, and the EVF will pack into any unused corner of the bag. That's the advantage over a fixed EVF.

I always bring two EVFs if I bring two bodies. That's important to me. I do understand the prohibitive nature of the cost though.

I always keep my EVFs in a pouch attached to the camera, so they just tuck away into that empty space between the lens and body where a larger grip would sit.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    My only 'real world' experience shooting two bodies was with a pair of 5D mark II's. In theory I had one with me as a 'backup', but it was easier to simply leave a 24-105 on one camera and a 100-400 on the other in Antarctica. I only think it's really worth the hassle if I'm shooting in conditions where a) lots of things happen quickly and there's no time to switch and b) the situation is unique. And if taking pictures is one of the primary reasons to be there.

I elected to go with a pair of 5DIIs instead of a 7D in addition to the 5D because I'm completely familiar with the 5DII, I know what it does, and didn't want to think about differences (particularly AF systems for the 7D) and settings/learn new tricks in the minimal time I had before leaving. Shooting two identical bodies makes things a lot easier, because you don't need to think about slightly different handling/dials/etc. I mean, I have a GF2 body, but I basically never use it, because the quality is significantly worse than the E-M5, and I don't like the handling as much. It's a good 'loaner' though.

• Like Like x 1
  19. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    For now I just have one body (E-M5), but I am thinking about a second body. Trick is there are two lines of use.

One is the old fashioned two-body-two-primes way of shooting. I was tought that way when shooting weddings and sports, and in a way it still feels like the way to do things. But to be honest; I no longer shoot pro, so I find it hard to justify two bodies for just that. Besides, primes are no longer made from the bottom of coke-bottles (thank you Gary :smile:), and quite frankly, a zoom is just more convenient when doing my odd event-shoot.

The other way to use two bodies is to have a backup and perhaps a smaller option. My E-M5 is not that big, but an E-PM2 with a 14 or 17 mm pancake would be a lot smaller en less conspicuous. Add the 45 in a coat pocked, and would make it a rather powerful set. And in case of emergency on travels, it could replace a broken E-M5 for most shots.

The first use would prefer two similar bodies, the second use would prefer different bodies. Luckily with the same sensor in all three last Olies, the output would be close enough to use pretty much the same PP. But I hate to carry two different sets of batteries on a journey.

Most likely I will at least wait until one of the bodies has gone down in price a lot (replacement camera on the horizon-low).

• Like Like x 1
  20. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    My 'smaller option' is an RX100 right now. I don't find the size differential between the smaller bodies and the E-M5 is big enough to really matter (all fit in a coat pocket, none comfortably fit in trouser pockets).