Geotagging (Garmin)

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thought it would be nice if I shared my recent finding according geotagging your photos from a Garmin .FIT file.

I use Lightroom, and it alone has a simple geotagging-function. But I have always used Jeffrey's Geoencoding-plugin because it has more options and gains better control if you just learn it.
"Fuzziness" and "Fill in pauses" is good settings to play with. Also, when you have not correct time in the camera vs gps log you can compensate for that.

A bonus feature which I discovered the other day is that it can use files directly from a Garmin device, ie a .FIT file format.
Normally you use a .GPX but this plugin can use 'GPS Babel' to convert many files so it can use them. Can be useful if you don't use any particular software and just wish to use the original file directly from Garmin.

Actually I have several Garmin's, a car GPS (Nüvi), bike computer (Edge) and now recently a watch also (Venu). All these works the same, it generates a .FIT file (which you can access directly in "activities" folder of the device). But all software I use, training apps mostly, can output a .GPX from the file. You can still end up with a .FIT sometimes and it is good to be able to use them, so here it is.

In the plugin, under "Config", you just enter file extension "fit" and arguments "-i "garmin_fit", see attached pic also. You need to have GPS Babel installed also. Then you can just select the file and it works like a charm.

settings.jpg

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Another great tool, which I just realized I haven't used in a couple of years at least, is GPS Visualizer, a web site that allows you to upload GPS data files and then get a nice map showing your track over laid with the map. It accepts a range of file formats and can give you a range of different output types. But a fun site to play around with if you want to "visualize" a data log.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I just got a Vivoactive 4. Similar to the Venu but with a less nice screen and longer battery life. I figure I'll be fine with it as long as I don't look at a Venu's screen. ;-)

I didn't plan using the watch's GPS tracking feature but your idea of using it for logging photo location might result in me doing that some time. So far I really like the watch but I wish I didn't need reading glasses to read some of the data screens. So far, it's helping to keep me more active although I'm sure that will change once I become inured to its constant nagging.

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
Good to see Jeffrey's plugin is back and working with the latest version of Lightroom.

I tend to use Locus Map on my phone (Android) to track my photo walks or trips where I want geotagging. The output is in GPX format so no hassle with conversions. My watch is used for fitness only activities as it syncs to Strava.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
I just got a Vivoactive 4. Similar to the Venu but with a less nice screen and longer battery life. I figure I'll be fine with it as long as I don't look at a Venu's screen. ;-)
...actually it is a Venu Sq, I think square screen makes more sense on this kind of unit so I was glad to see Garmin has recently made this nice unit for me :)

Got it today. Had bought the standard version before but returned it when I noticed it don't have WiFi :( that is a must have for me. So here is the music edition with WiFi :) Sync automatically when I get home. Very convenient.

_1120239.jpg

Wooh! Now my watch says "take a brake and move!" so I better do as it says, c ya! :)

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
...actually it is a Venu Sq, I think square screen makes more sense on this kind of unit so I was glad to see Garmin has recently made this nice unit for me :)

Got it today. Had bought the standard version before but returned it when I noticed it don't have WiFi :( that is a must have for me. So here is the music edition with WiFi :) Sync automatically when I get home. Very convenient.

View attachment 868266

Wooh! Now my watch says "take a brake and move!" so I better do as it says, c ya! :)
Looks nice! I agree that the square screen makes more sense. You going to put a protective screen over top? I'm pondering that option.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
Looks nice! I agree that the square screen makes more sense. You going to put a protective screen over top? I'm pondering that option.
Don't think so. I feel that as an activity watch it should have scratch resistant glass already, it has Gorilla Glass 3 so I hope it should be quite scratch proof, otherwise I get disappointed :)
But your Vivoactive 4 also has GG3 I noticed. How do you feel about that?
(I use to have protection mostly otherwise actually, lately I put a frosted glass one on my cellphone, and on my Garmin Edge, very nice)

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Don't think so. I feel that as an activity watch it should have scratch resistant glass already, it has Gorilla Glass 3 so I hope it should be quite scratch proof, otherwise I get disappointed :)
But your Vivoactive 4 also has GG3 I noticed. How do you feel about that?
(I use to have protection mostly otherwise actually, lately I put a frosted glass one on my cellphone, and on my Garmin Edge, very nice)
I've read of phone screens equipped with GG getting scratched (although I don't recall which version of GG they were) so I'm probably still going to look for some type of protector. I've pretty fairly successful at scratching past watches and Vivofits. ;-) Mostly from wearing them while working on vehicles or similar activities.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom