1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Genuine Panasonic batteries for Lumix GX7 ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Paul80, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi all

Sorry for the yet another what battery question but

I use a Lumix GX7 which is supplied with a DMC-BLG10E, if i want to add one of these as a backup they cost around £45 retail, but a search for genuine Lumix Batteries also brings up a DMC-BLG10GK which is of an identical rating but often sells for only £20 retail.

Anyone know anything about the BLG-10GK is it compatible with the GX7 as claimed by the sellers.

Voltage and mAh rating of both batteries are identical.

I know the DMW-BLE9E works in the GX7 but with a slightly lower mAh rating and costs about the same as the BLG-10GK but those extra mAh might be useful.

Thanks for any input on this.

Paul

2. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    We bought a couple of 10E's out of the USA at $30 each that even with the carriage vat etc was much cheaper than UK and arrived within 7 days

3. Redregie

Redregie New to Mu-43

Apr 25, 2014
    St Helens, Lancashire.

I bought a DMW-BLE9E from Wilkinson Cameras for £15.00 (Via their ebay site) its 940mah and works perfectly in the GX7
    They still have them listed.

Worth a thought.

4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The "DMC-BLG10" part is the only bit that matters, the letters after it designate the factory that made the cells inside.

PP was the Sanyo plant in Sumoto, Hyōgo Japan - this designation is no longer after the merger of Sanyo and Panasonic afaik.
    I'm unaware of which factories the E and GK designations refer to however they should be functionally identical, the language and certification on the batteries may be different depending on the market they were intended to be sold in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I have always been a little puzzled by the periodic and intense discussions here concerning aftermarket batteries. Maybe I have just been lucky, but I always buy my spares from whomever is offering the best deal on eBay and I have never been burned. I have a couple of GX7s right now with the two OEM batteries plus three eBay spares. I pay no attention to which ones I use in the cameras and AFIK they all perform the same.

Early on when I bought an aftermarket battery I would weigh it. My theory was that the electrolyte and metals inside were the expensive stuff and someone wanting to make a cheap battery might use less of these. The weights were always the same as OEM, however, so I quit doing this. Regarding milliamp-hour capacity, for a given battery chemistry and a given physical size, everyone is going to get approximately the same result. So I don't worry about that either.

The one thing I do, though, is to mark every new battery with a number. I use a pencil soldering iron to melt it into the end of the battery that shows when the camera body door is open. This way, if I have one I suspect, I can remember or note its number. I have needed to do this exactly once in 5+ years and I don't remember if it was an OEM battery or not.

YMMV of course.

6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I agree in theory. Almost all brand (Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, and Olympus) batteries until 2013 were made using Sanyo cells and many aftermarket batteries were also made using the very same cells. Since Panasonic bought out Sanyo it's become increasingly hard to actually tell who made the cells inside them however as they've stopped getting UL certification (They're using PSE which obscures the origin, not Japan is all it really shows).

I've never had any problems with third party batteries at all, I generally use Watson or Wasabi. I do however use a third party charger rather than the original supplied.

If I recall correctly the difference between DMW-BLE9 and BLG-10 was to do with a law change in Japan which mandated additional safety precautions when charging the battery, some earlier designs had the potential to overheat when charging (I don't think the 9 actually suffered from it, they just released a new version which was certified as such to prevent mix ups in supply).

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I thought it was just to cram a few more mAh in there as they switched from small cameras like the GF3 to bigger ones like the GX7.

8. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    In my case I have a BLG-10 that was supplied with the camera And performs faultlessly, I have a couple of the BLG-9's that perform significantly lower than the 10 sertanly a lot lower than the difference in capacity would suggest, but at least the battery remaining indicator is accurate. I also have DSTE branded that don't last longer even though they have more capacity and the remaining display although works is not accurate. I also have some EXPro batteries that are quite poor performers, even though the EXPro batteries I have for my G5/G6 are significantly better. Although the printing on the batteries is quite different so the ones I got for the GX7 might be counterfeit EXPro as the counterfeiter will counterfeit anything these days, even counterfeiters are not safe in China.

Might give the cheaper BLG-10Gk a go just go see how it performs.

Will report back with the results if I do.

Paul