1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Genuine 'free' LR presets.

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Dave in Wales, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I'm looking for genuine 'free' LR presets.

With no requirement to 'log-in', 'tell your friends' or give them my 'email' address.

TIA

2. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

I just keep a "throw-away" email address, specifically for signing up for things. That way I don't have to worry about being spammed. Or is that not the issue?

3. phlk

phlk Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2014
    London UK
    Hi Dave

Here is a link to the settings that I use. its not a preset as such (you have to load them yourself and then save as a preset) but the 10 mins it took me has set me up well. I use a variation of Erik Meijs presets for OMD5/EM-1 (thank you Erik) . I use them with lightroom 4, they are here;

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54885433

Try these and see how you get on. If your are interested to see what I get out of my EM1 using raw and Eriks presets here are some flickr links to my shots

https://www.flickr.com/photos/phils--photos/sets/72157649939230910

https://www.flickr.com/photos/phils--photos/sets/72157650267135267

Overtime I have reduced the sharpening though at this stage its down to taste

Hope you get on well with them, and if you share them please give Erik a mention

Phil

• Like Like x 1
  4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Someone takes the time to export their presets, maybe organize them, describe them, upload them to the internet, make the link available, and you don’t even want to reimburse them for their expertise, time and trouble with a few kind words to your friends, or provide you email address, or log in?

Why that’s just despicable, I say just des... des... despicable – just Daffy Duck despicable LOL

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I can understand him. If u like me had an history of annoying virus etc. you get very cautious about stuff on internet. eliminating risks etc..

• Like Like x 1
  6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    And that is why you choose wisely from whom you download things from. Of course when you are looking for free with no strings attached...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I have learnt the error of my ways, I to have downloaded a 'nasty' somewhere along the way. :cautious:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    I am struggling to see how "genuine free" addresses this concern ... I would have thought purchasing from a reputable source would be the smarter option, not trying to get something for "nothing" and expecting the risk to be nominal or non-existence.

Andrew

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I got maxims presets(livingloud) from this site and they were free and terrific. so yes, there is some smart ways to get free stuff...

10. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I think there's a perception of lightroom presets being 'free' because there's nothing proprietary about most the presets. Most those presets can be replicated by tweaking various sliders.

A while back I got some 'free' (signed up mailing list with spam email) presets from one-soft. I found I deleted most of them because most of them weren't very useful or special.

I don't mind paying for a preset, if it's actually good and not overpriced.

I don't think we should bag someone out, just for asking if there are any free ones.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    The problem paying for a preset is that you can't try before buying.

And for presets you really have to try with your pictures.
    What works with some examples won't work necessarily with your own pictures.

In fact, I think I never found ONE preset I download to be really usable.

Anyway, a lot of users are making presets for their use and don't mind sharing with other users.
    So there is some place for free presets.

12. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Thanks Phil,

I followed the settings to the letter and wound up with a 'complete mess'. I had three goes, each with the same result.
    The problem seemed to be the settings for exposure i.e. lights/darks/blacks/whites/shadows/highlights.

Sorry, thanks anyway

Dave

13. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    You do realize that it's a 'reverse tone curve' preset? Meant to recover shadows and highlights and be a starting point for PP.

I think you are looking for 'finishing point, no PP needed' presets.

14. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Hand's up, it does work :yahoo:don't know what went wrong the first 3 times.

But it looks to be a very good 'starting point', especially colour wise.

It is now part of my 'User Presets'

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  15. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
  16. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Does anyone have maxims presets available? I went through his thread but he seems to have removed them all

17. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
  18. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Did you notice the preset uses Adobe Standard profile? LR now supports Oly and Panny profiles. I played with one of the author's EM5 presets last year. Stripped out the Adobe Standard and all the color adjustments. Added my preferred profile of Camera Natural. That leaves all the hue, saturation and luminosity sliders at zero so there is more room to adjust. Plus I like the Oly colors better.

19. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    Erik Kim has a couple of free presets related to street photography and Rivals is offering two free presets, the rest have to be purchased.