"Genius of Photography" BBC DVD

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Boyzo, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Recently viewed the BBC documentary 2 DVD's and near 6hours in 6 chapters.

Covers early Photography and modern small cameras used for Photojournalism and Street Photography.

The famous names are in there and there a interviews with various people pertaining to a particular subject or an associate's of some of the photographers covered in the documentary.

For NY residents there is a very vocal Joel Meyerowitz relating his contact with Winogrand, Joel pretty a energetic guy with his M6 shows how he captures scenes in NY.

Very good cover on Eugene Smith, Capa impressed me, but especially Smith. Some examples of Arbus, images of the Konrad Matthai family
    did not impress me one bit.
    Bresson was in there of course :)

There was little in the way of pictorial work nor did it show the progress up to the current digital age, so don't look for camera brands other that the odd Leica M.There is also no content that one can glean some insite into what makes great pictures, the tendency is to glorify old hero's and Monochrome work and Time Life hero's, Ansel Adams hardly gets a mention

All up I gave it a 7/10 a somewhat predictable BBC Docu that could have been more enlightening.

I think the current digital era is new a horizon that makes it possible for anyone to do good work.

btw not listed on Amazon but my local book store carried it (39$AU)

PL1 Rokkor 50/1.4

2. Michael

Michael Mu-43 Regular

I bought the book a couple of years ago and found it to be one of the best short histories of photography I have read. For me it is very strong on the early years, it deals with the main protagonists and how they thought and handled their subject matter with the then new medium. Definitely worth the cost now, I recall seeing a used copy for under ten quid on UK Amazon!
    Having learned photography early in life on a shoestring and taught photoshop/Mac from its beginnings I am constantly amazed by the amount of terrible work being spread around the web. Even more surprizing is the fact that this occurs in spite of the availability of really good and free tutorials! On the other hand there is some exceptionally creative work being show in blogs and on line galleries that sadly will never grace a wall...

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    This series still runs on the Ovation Channel here in the colony. I've watched it a few times when I'm allowed to watch TV.
  4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks for the heads-up John - will check it out.
  5. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Dymmocks in Melbourne stock it Bill.
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Sounds really good, Boyzo. Thank you very much for this information.
  7. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    I just started watching this, and it's highly addictive. I should be writing for a magazine, but it's just too interesting. Now I want a larger large format camera and materials to do some daguerreotype :D
  8. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

ABC shop have it ($40) and the book as well ($65) - could make nice b'day presents.
  9. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Hint Hint...
    Ah the book is there .. the DVD would be my choice
  10. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Some energetic polishing would required :wink: