1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Generic tripod mount rings?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Hyun, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Hyun

Hyun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    California
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to get some Canon FD macro lenses and telephoto lenses to go with my E-PM1, and am a bit concerned about hanging heavier metal lenses to the camera on the tripod. I was wondering, is there some sort of generic tripod mount ring? Obviously something that can be securely attached to lenses that don't have dedicated recessed "trench" for the tripod mount ring collar to fit into.

Thanks for any help,

Hyun.

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Ebay search tripod lens collar.

3. Hyun

Hyun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    California
    Thanks, I did, but all the results seem to be for specific lenses, and certainly none for FD lenses. I guess that answers my question...?

4. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Hyun,

I have enormous lens not specifically intended for ring but found a way to place it. Ebay's tripod rings may specify particular lenses, it doesn't mean they might not fit yours of be able to be modified to fit. Read the specifications. All are not the same. form my needs I found a ring slightly smaller than the competitors, though slightly wider than my lens. I removed the self-adhesive protective felt and replaced it with a thicker soft plastic.

If another member hasn't worked through your issue someone has. You might visit http://www.photosig.com is a much larger non-equipment specific group You will have to join to search. You can search All Photos - Brows by Lens; or Brows by Category: Macro. Photos are identified by title, then below the member followed by their (crit points).Obviously members with thousands or 10s-of-thousands of crit points are the members who might be most helpful. Click on their name below the photo and it will take you to their page.

Good Luck

-Chrome

-Chrome

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hyun

Hyun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    California
    Thanks Chrome, I'll give the eBay search another go.

6. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Hyun,

I edited my response. You may not have seen a reference i noted.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hyun

Hyun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    California
    Thanks again!

8. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    You might look into this: Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support with Quick Release 293 B&H I bought one and, although bulky and heavy, I found it to be very well made, very flexible, and reasonably priced. Here is a very fair and useful review: Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support Review which convinced me that I can use it for my adapted tele lens. My adapted lens did not have a place for a regular collar, so I modified it as explained in the review under "Using the bracket with shorter lenses" so it supports the lens adapter.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Hyun

Hyun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    California
    Hi relic,

Thank you very much, that's exactly the kind of contraption I was looking for. And thanks for the review link, too. The price is certainly reasonable.

Thanks!

Hyun.