Generic Lumix lenses available?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by qtrim, Nov 23, 2013.

1. qtrim

qtrim New to Mu-43

Apr 3, 2013
    I have a GX1 with the pancake 14x42 lens. I love it. But I would like to have a good zoom lens too. On Amazon about the best price for a Panasonic Lumix 45x200 is about $269. Is that about the cheapest I'll find a compatible lens?

Also, what has been your experience buying lenses on eBay?

Thanks in advance for your input.
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    What do you mean by 'Generic'?

Anyways the 45-200 is old news. The 45-150 is newer, smaller, cheaper, and by all accounts better in performance. I would also recommend a fast prime lens inbetween your two zooms.
  3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    There really aren't any "generic" lenses. What there are are secondary markets like eBay and Amazon marketplace where you can buy lenses cheaper than at traditional retail stores, sometimes even used. With the usual caveats about condition and warranty, etc., these can be excellent places to pick up lenses at a big discount and with the knowledge that you'll be able to sell them for little loss if you decide you don't like them. I do it all the time and have found some excellent deals, though you do have to be a savvy and patient buyer.

Actually, some of the very best deals I've found are for the sudden, short-lived blowout sales that often happen this time of year ("Black Friday"). This is the absolutely best way to buy a lens if you can take advantage. I bought a Panny 45-175mm for $199, Oly 9-18mm for $499, and Sigma 30mm for $99--all of which I eventually sold for an actual profit after a year or so.

I think the 45-200mm was selling for <$200 recently on one of these super deals . . . someone might remember the exact price. But as Spatulaboy wrote, I'd recommend the 45-150mm or 45-175mm over that lens anyway. The 45-200mm is notoriously soft at 200mm so you don't actually gain much for the extra length, and it's significantly heavier and larger than the other two I mentioned (and thus a better match for your GX1).
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    No. There's the Panasonic 45-150/4-5.6. If you're willing to go with a secondhand lens, you can save even more.

So long as the seller is reputable, shouldn't be a problem. For secondhand gear, prices on the forum here will generally be better.
  5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Remember, eBay is not a seller its a marketplace and your experience varies from seller to seller. I purchased quite a bit on eBay but there is some risk... mitigated risk. If you buy from a reputable seller (BH, Adorama, Calumet, Cameta etc...) via Ebay, its usually just as good as buying from their website.
  6. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    So if by generic, you mean aftermarket like Tamron and Sigma, no, there are no generic zoom lenses. Sigma makes a couple of great prime lenses. As I'm sure you know you can use Olympus lenses. If you are looking to save a few bucks wait for a sale or check out dealers that have excellent deals on refurb stuff, like Cameta.
  7. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    Lots of people bought the Lumix 45-150 for about a Benjamin by setting up a gear list on GearShop ($50 coupon code sent via email). I did! I saw the price float up and down a lot from $150 to 200. I think that GearShop coupon deal is over but the silver 45-150 is $179 on Amazon. For such an inexpensive lens I was amazed how good it was. No OIS or AF switches but other that that, they didn't cut any obvious corners.

You can also look into refurbs and save a few bucks. They usually come with a generic white box but the lens will be branded.
  8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Your camera is a "Micro Four Thirds" camera
    and takes "Micro Four Thirds" lenses : all of them.

Find them all, check prices, buy what you want.