[EXPIRED] General Questions.

Discussion in 'Expired Listings' started by Vincible, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Vincible

Vincible New to Mu-43

0   0   0

Aug 4, 2011
    Dear MU-43. I'm new to this forum and even using paypal to make transactions. I want to buy some equipment and I had couple of general Questions.

I apologize if this post is inapporiate for this forum.. if it is I would appreciate members to send me pm with some info and taking this post down.

Camera, lens, and etc are quite pricy and I dont' want to take any kind of risk.

I understand that normally transactions are done through paypal. Do most people ask/use "gift" option? If not what options do you guys use?

Are there any cases of scam you guys experienced?

from my understanding that if you send money as gift option you are basically just sending the money to the other person and buyer bears all the risk? is it worth it to save copious amount of money.

i want to know how the process works usually! i want to buy!

2. goshxii

goshxii Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

May 9, 2011
    Bronx, NY
    Just buy using regular PayPal, not "gift" option, and you are relatively secured. Those few extra dollars are not worth the risk...

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

0   0   0

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. If you're interested I'll forward the email of my Nigerian agent.

• Like Like x 1
  4. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Yes, the process usually works. I have bought and sold here without any problems and have been happy with my transactions. I would, however, pay via regular Paypal and not use the gift option. As goshxii stated, the extra few dollars are not worth the risk.

5. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    This is the only forum I've seen where I have not heard or read of a bad, scam paypal transaction. The other two forums I hang around on which is car related, not camera, theres a thread about some member pulling a scam more often then you'd want if any. It kills you from trusting those who you can actually trust when fools do stuff like that.

But yes, doing paypal without gift option is the way to go. However I'm not sure if transactions like these are included in the terms unless the seller invoices you which is a way for paypal to verify that was the amount you had to pay.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If making a purchase of goods or services, PayPal acts as an Escrow service. That means that PayPal mediates as a third party in the case of disputes and will charge back your money should you not receive your goods or services. Just as a side note, PayPal almost always sides with the buyer rather than the seller... not exactly fair, but as a buyer you are very safe with PayPal. If you're a seller, just make extra certain you have proof of your delivery, ie proof of work performed or some tracking on goods.

However, PayPal does lift a small levy for this Escrow service (3% I believe), which comes out of what the seller receives in the payment. That's why you may see some people request payment as a "gift", in order to receive the full funds. It's really up to you if you can trust this person enough to do so (ie, somebody you talk to on this forum as a regular would probably be safe), but be aware that if you send payment as a gift then you are losing the safety net of an Escrow service.

I guess, looking back at it... it's kinda weird that PayPal charges the seller for this when they mostly protect the buyer, lol.

7. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    There is also the feedback system. In almost every buy and sell site, there is a feedback system where feedback is left after a transaction, whether positive or negative. Although that is not a fool-proof way of verifying that the person is not going to pull a fast one on you, it is a good way of verifying the way in which this person has conducted his or her previous transactions. Most importantly, use common sense when dealing with online transactions. If you don't feel comfortable with how the transaction is going it is always best not to go through with it.

8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0

Nov 7, 2010
    As a buyer the safest way to set up a secure transaction is to use standard PayPal and fund the transaction via your credit card, not from your PayPal balance. While it is true that PayPal usually sides with the buyer in disputes, your credit card company is even more likely to have your back.

The seller really bears most of the risk in these transactions. That is why many ask for Gift payment, though I've heard that even those can be challenged by credit card company.