Gear Plateau?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dornblaser, Jul 9, 2014.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    It looks like we hit a :43: gear plateau? With Panasonic's GM1, GX7 & GH4 and Olympus' E-M1, E-M10, E-P5 it does not look like there is a new body, with the exception of the E-PL7, due out this year. The lens roadmap for both companies has slowed to a trickle. 4/3rumors has more posts about non-:43: cameras than it does about :43: cameras recently. You have to leave the :43: world to read about the rumored X-PRO2 with its new 24 megapixel sensor to get excited about new mirrorless. The only thing that I am currently interested in* is whether the new rumored Panasonic fixed lens will have external aperture controls, etc., EVF, and, a 35mm equivalent FL to compete with the X100S. The new 15mm lens gives me hope. My B&H wish list is now almost empty. I suspect that we will have more threads about switching to another system as the year progresses.

* plus the never ending question of why Olympus won't fix their video.

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Maybe the plateauing will lead us to take more pics and switch systems less. Though I doubt it. :smile:

• Like Like x 5
  3. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

There's a limit to just how many cameras people can buy. If the manufacturers feel we are in such a downturn, why put out models that they suspect will fail not on their lack of merit, but on the economy instead. It might be better to save your resources until circumstances are better.

4. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I've got all the lenses that I want and need, maybe at the beginning of next year, I might sell my G5 and E-PL5 and purchase a GX7. I would be happy with that and the GM1. I use to lust after the X100, I bought the Fuji XF1, it was alright, but I soon sold it, had a thing for a Ricoh GR, but since I bought the GM1, I'm no longer fussed with either of those two cameras.I have spent a lot on gear over the past couple of years and now I seem to be happy with my lot.

5. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Personally dont care for any new camera releases from Oly or Panasonic until there is a significant image IQ gain to be had which is where I see the plateau from M43 camera's right now. Even then, can't upgrade every time a camera comes out and gain's half a stop of DR and ISO advantage if you know what I mean. As for lenses the system has really filled in nicely and it was bound to slow down. Really its the UWA and longer focal length ranges that need the attention now and I wouldnt mind seeing 3rd party companies jump in and start making natively designed M43 lenses to compete with Oly & Panasonic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    There comes a point when what you have does "well enough" and rather than buy new gear... we all should be looking at using that money to get us to better places with more photo ops to use that gear more. :wink:

7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'll bet we would buy les cameras if we stalked online forums less ;) not that that's gonna stop me!
    GX1•17/2.8•30/2.8

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Honestly, we've been at an IQ plateau for years now; canon hasn't released a camera with a sensor hugely better than the 5DII, and the D800 is still king of the high megapixel crop. In mirrorless land, Sony's A7 series merely stuff that in a smaller package.

The only real breakthrough to be expected is better tracking AF.

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I wonder if we are approaching a point like in film days where bodies and gear lasted for a long time.

10. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    But what will happen to everyones GAS? it will be a disaster, actually I quite like that idea I had a Canon FD set for ten years till some **** stole it.

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    There were so many bodies released one after the other that prices fell quickly and the manufacturers were losing money. Delaying new releases keeps the prices up. I've been waiting for the E-P5 price to fall the way the E-P3 fell bit prices have levelled out. I love the E-P3 but I would like the improved sensor and 5 axis stabilization.

12. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I am looking into advanced compacts like the Sony RX100 III, Fuji x30, and Panasonic LX8. I switched to M43 for the smaller size. After owning two different M43 bodies over the last two years, I find that I really want something smaller than M43, something pocketable. If an advanced compact can deliver image quality that suits my needs, I am switching.

13. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    My mFT kit has stabilized, I think, and I'm quite satisfied with it, so I am not concerned that offerings have "plateaued." I am, however, also interested in an advanced compact, but not as a replacement for mFT. I want something that I can take anywhere (cycling, running, business travel) that is capable of making decent 15x20 inch prints. The RX100 III seems to be the most likely candidate, and I'm saving up for one.

14. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I've actually hit a creativity plateau that no amount of gear can fix. That's one of the reasons I haven't purchased anything camera related this year. Zilch. Nada. Feels good and my bank account thanks me.

• Like Like x 4
  15. yumyum001

yumyum001 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 5, 2012
    There are only so many hours in a day, are you actually shooting for a living? If not, how are you having enough time to get to know the cameras you have inside out?

Just because I'm not able to afford so many cameras doesn't mean that there are people out there doing that. If you are able to and are having a blast doing that, then more power to you (I guess that's why people have their daily commute and weekend "fun" car right?)

Something to think about:

10 years down the road, are you going to care what camera / lens it was shot with? Will other people?

You will probably be thinking to yourself "Did I really made this picture with THAT camera?"

History tends to repeat itself, look at something you purchased 10+ years ago, how many of those items do you still have?

Moments that cherishes? Do you still remember or even care what it was captured with?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

16. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Well, this would have a positive impact on the consumer. In order to stay in business, the manufacturers would then have to concentrate on developing supporting system components that enhance the user experience of the cameras we do own. I, for one would like to see full auto macro bellows for the m43s lens mount, or a commitment of the 4/3s consortium of doubling or tripling the number of lenses available for the system in a variety of quality levels.

I recall back in my Canon FT-QL days, I had a special low light meter booster that connected to the built in light meter that allowed accurate metering down to an EV of -3.5 for iso (ASA actually) 100 film. At the time, it cost something like $50 US. (A huge amount in those days). http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/ftql/

I'm not looking for that specific item, of course. But the having the manufacturers feeling the need to develop 'stuff' they can sell us besides the same camera with slightly different software would be really nice.

17. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    If anyone is bored with the m43 consortium announcements they just need to go back to Canon. The 7D MkII has been in the works for years. The 7D is five years old now? The Canon rumor site is a yawn fest.

How many bodies are current between Olympus and Panasonic? 8? All with essentially equivalent IQ? How many bodies do we need? They run from ultra tiny to small DSLR size with great options for stills and video. And lenses? There are close to 100 with duplicates and discontinued models.

I'm OK with a slower pace personally.

• Like Like x 1
  18. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The fixed lens Panasonic camera should be interesting.

19. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I would agree with that pretty much, when I look back at the wealth of kit available for the OM1 or the Canon F1 it seems we have a lack of stuff. I still have the Canon lens book that came with my AE1p there was all sorts in there from fish eyes to mega telephoto lenses, the OM had superb macro options as I recall. I seem to remember that some of these things were more or less made to order though and I think some of the Canon offerings still are. It would be good if Olympus and Panasonic spent a year concentrating on new lenses, some exotics some high quality, ones that are needed by a fair few it seems like a 150-200mm fast prime. Then there are the useful to some extras such as bellows and micros coping gear. Mind you I have but one lens I can't get (can get near) that I would like, the rest of the system is perfect for me still want a 67.5mm 1.8 though.

20. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'm so happy with the current Olympus OMD EM5, that I cannot see me needing to switch from that for a long time. The only thing that I can get excited about is when Olympus gets an OMD or EP that has PDAF capability for continuous focus that can keep up with my Nikon DSLRs.

Then, I'd be REALLY tempted to buy another body.

Right now, I like the lenses i have and am looking to add an Olympus 75-300 to round out the m43 kit.