Gear, gear and more gear posts!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by digitalandfilm, Apr 13, 2013.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    C'mon people.. Stop with the best this and spy v spy comparisons- I'm sick of it!

Get the hell out there and use your memory cards or film for a change.

Lets have more photo threads and less hardware.

2. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    I honestly don't mind the gear posts, and there are MANY active photo threads to browse when I don't want to read about gear. The only postings I find a little bit silly are those where someone tries to tell the rest of us that we are all using the forum wrong, but that's just me.

Of the 30 latest discussions, as of the time of my post, the majority are dedicated image threads with a total 18 out of 30. I don't see a problem with that, perhaps you're spending too much time on the wrong part of the forum? Overall this is a great photo AND gear forum, and in my opinion we have a healthy mix of both. Don't worry too much, spring is still young in the Northern hemisphere and some of us are still coming out of winter hibernation. Kind of like this guy I posted in the Olympus 75mm image thread...

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    How do we all feel about photo threads that feature pictures of gear?
  4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
  5. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    People post about what interests them, and most people post in both the gear threads and the image threads. You can pick and choose what you look at and where you spend your time. I'd say what I normally look at is around two thirds image threads and one third gear threads. There's a large number of image threads I have on my subscription list which are reviewed daily or more frequently if there are new posts, and a small number of gear threads I treat in the same way. Otherwise, a new thread has to look interesting to me for me to take a peek. I simply can't keep up with every new thread or post.

And there's enough going on in image threads for me not to be able to follow them all.

I don't think anyone needs to change what they're doing in relation to gear threads. You just need to stop worrying about them and following them. Like Oscar Wilde who commented "I can resist everything except temptation", I have a low resistance threshold but I can do it. If I can do it, you can also.
  6. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    People new to the m43 format would appreciate this information.
  7. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Just in case you haven't noticed yet: this is primarily a gear forum.... :smile:
  8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Oddly digitalandfilm wont see this message as he fell out with me oddly over a gear related discussion that got out of hand... but thats all water under the bridge as far as I am concerned.

But on this topic I do agree with him.

I have been a member here for a few years, and yes there always have been gear related threads... but the tone of them seems to me to have shifted over the last year.... It used to be about 'has anyone had this problem' or 'can you explain function x'... or indeed 'look at the groovy pics I got with my new lens/camera/assorted bit of gear'

maybe because we have more choice, maybe because we have more newcomers, there seem to be more ill defined questions like 'is lens x better than lens y'.... where x and y are sometimes different focal lengths...or price ranges... or one of my favorites 'is camera x better than y for video'

Now these may be valid questions if they were couched in a way that gave us some kind idea of the intended use and perhaps where the user was on the learning curve.

But often they are not... and that just leads to long rambling threads that have no focus.

just my thoughts... if people post more pics and learn to rephrase their questions in a way that we can offer useful advice....I might be less grumpy and not fall out with people :)

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    hmmm debatable

10. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Gear talk on a photography forum is unavoidable. The trick is to read the ones that interests you.
  11. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I no longer have any *ignore-ites* here.. :thumbup: