1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Gear for Morocco

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by davdenic, May 11, 2015.

1. davdenic

davdenic Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    David D.
    Hi
    I'm going in Marrakech and I'm not sure, seems a place for small street gear.
    I'm thinking about 9-18, 20, 45 or 12-40.
    Usually I like to have always a tele but again it seem too big for what I read.
    Any idea or experience?
    I have no time to buy something else, I have
    Em5, 9-18, 20, 45, 60, 12-50, 12-40, 40-150R, 40-150/2.8

2. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    9-18, 20 and 45 should see you alright!

It's very photogenic but takes some guts to take out the camera sometimes.

Be sure to check out the railway station and Cyber Parc, but good places for photos. There are lots of parks with spectacular flora. The mountain backdrops are great. I've a few shots from a trip in January in my recent Flickr stream.

I'd really recommend Earth Cafe in Medina and Amal Non Profit a little north of centre for lunch or brunch. Enjoy the trip, would love to be going back!

3. I don't know if I took all that many photographs when I was in Marrakech, but the bulk of them would have been with the 12-40mm f2.8. Marrakech was my last stop in Morocco so I wasn't using the camera as much as at the beginning of the trip.

4. davdenic

davdenic Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    David D.
    Do you think it's safe if I left some lenses in the riad room?
    And I'm wondering if is safer against pickpockets using one big lens (the 12-40) all day or smaller lenses with frequent changes.

5. Chazzz

Chazzz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Washington State
    I mostly agree with CiaranCReilly because 9-18, 20 and 45 seems like decent coverage, especially for a place where great street pics will surely abound. I know that if I go anywhere with my ยต43 kit, I always have the 20 with me. And now that I have the 12-35/2.8, that also always goes. So where the 45 is tempting, I'd probably go with the 12-40 (is that f/2.8?) or the 12-50 - whichever is faster - so that I had a medium zoom. I know 12-40 covers the 20 and doesn't reach the 45, but it does offer a medium zoom just in case you want it and/or don't feel like constantly swapping out 20 to 45 to 20, etc.

6. davdenic

davdenic Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    David D.
    Well.. I take both and i will see there what is the better. Again I left the 40-150/2.8 at home. I'm sure It could be useful but it's too big :(

7. CiaranCReilly

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    If you have a compact shoulder bag that closes securely I think you will be alright, I guess the balance is looking like your gear is more expensive with a "big" lens.... The riad we stayed in was very safe and I had no problems leaving stuff in the room - Tripadvisor helped us find a reputable place.

8. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Last week I finished 3 weeks in Morocco, including Marrakech. Between dust and oily smoke from 2-stroke motorbikes in the Marrakech medina, I was less motivated to swap lenses than I expected. Having a gear bag that allows one to swap while standing is a big help.

Damn near everyone didn't want themselves or their shop photographed. I resorted to auto and a 9 square focus zone to make my first shot count.

I used the 40-150 mostly from rooftop terraces, for architectural detail and to compress long medina lanes. Also carried O9-18 but most shots were with P14-45.

9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If it were me I would take the 12-40/2.8 and the 40-150/4-5.6 and be done with it.

I'd figure that most of the shots will be up close and the 12-40 is a great choice for that, plus the close focusing distance will be helpful.. The 40-150 can be there for those rare instances you might need it. Keep it simple.

10. davdenic

davdenic Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    David D.
    Well... you have to know they don't like to be photographed so I'm using the P20 shooting without looking in the camera. The 12-40 is a bit too big and weight too much to be used with a single hand all day.
    I've used the 12-40 today early morning when nobody was around.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  11. CiaranCReilly

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Hope all is going well and you're having a good time!

12. davdenic

davdenic Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    David D.
    Yes it is, but I'm not really good at street photography. I think the best approach is to get in touch with people, talking and after a bit ask to make a photo. It needs time and the right skills. Today I've visited a couple of places in the old city out of the touristic route and I saw something more real.
    It's hard to not disturb, it's their city, and we are stranger at their home. For some reasons it's sad, there is a contrast since we want a piece of their world a photo like for animals in a zoo and at the same time they live of tourism.
    I often see some really interesting subjects but I'm feeling like a giant with iron boots.
    It's much better when I drop off the camera in the bag and just enjoy the moment.
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    I'd recommend taking a longish lens, allowing candid shots from a distance. This could help in avoiding being hassled for money or plain refusal of photographing. Other than that I have very fond memories of my trips to Morocco, no particular security risks, even travelling by shared taxis and various other forms of public transport.

Enjoy your trip!

14. davdenic

davdenic Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    David D.
    I've the 40-150R with me but it's too slow in crowded souk. Maybe today I try with the 45/1.8

15. davdenic

davdenic Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    David D.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. davdenic

davdenic Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    David D.
    Hi I update the post in case someone need info for the same place:

Must have in Marrakech for street shots:
    Em5/10
    20mm

For palaces
    12-40 or
    9-18 and/or some primes
    Low light and lot of people around

On Atlas mountain for landscape
    What you prefer there are not limitations

In a souk in small villages for street shots
    Again a small 20mm but better a 17mm but there are less tourists so people stare at you immediately. Really hard to have a chances to shot.

In small villages (not in a souk)
    12-40 or longer, maybe a 14-140.
    I shot 4 women carrying stuff on the head. but I was really far and was not possible to be closer without troubles.

Anyway I shot more than 1000 photos so I found the way even if people don't like it

In my opinion if you speak French you could try to have an open approach, talk with people and ask for a photo otherwise hide your camera or do blind shots like me :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Thanks for the update.
    French yes, but Spanish worked well for me on and inland from the northern coasts. That area was formerly a Spanish Protectorate.