Gear as an excuse

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Alf, Aug 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Hi there everyone, long time no see.
    As the forum Elders might imagine, real life issues can be an ostruction to ones picture taking, both in good and bad ways - and I've had both of those - add to it a decent smartphone and most of my pics went that way - with some burts of camera activity almost always processed on mobile via the lovely LR mobile app (one doesn't just pay the Adobe CC tax only to affix the receipt as a car bumper sticker saying I used to be serious about my pics you know).

So here I am, having completed a larger task on the job (hectic as everyones these days), doing what I love, that is ponder.

I shouldn't think of gear, as I'm using mine so little, the voice says.
    Actually, it doesn't. It says something along, hey there, you know what you need, A is asking to shoot some real estate for her, S needs new pics of her for home and facebook, and of course there is your dearest, a sweetest softest portrait lens should fit her just right. And you always wanted to shoot wideangle, foveon, monochrome, whatever.

So please do imagine that I didn't look at gear after buying my OM-D e-M10 (mark I that is), that I mostly play with the lumix 20mm and the Oly45mm, and love my old hexanons and sweet manual samyang fisheye.
    What happended while I wasn't looking?
    What would you do if you were me?

Thank you everyone.

Uh! Pictures!
    28232505541_36313c552e_b. #gofigure by alfrjw, su Flickr

28757706606_55bf45f9f0_b. Arciprete #portrait #fashion #pretaporter by alfrjw, su Flickr

28505297630_85aa76e00a_b. #nightout #portrait #lovelylady #fashion by alfrjw, su Flickr

27342082570_1de7062ab2_b. Eeeeh?!? #beauty #portrait #fashiongram by alfrjw, su Flickr

• Like Like x 6
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hi @Alf@Alf, great to see you and lovely pictures!

My answer to the question is.... Pen F.

Love mine to bits :cloud-9-039:.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Thank you!

Let's say I don't listen to the voice saying to go full esoteric and I don't buy a dp0 and become the first to do Street shooting and available darkness photography using it (or the sd quattro, even more esoteric with its 300MB raw files ).

Let's say I make the sensible choice of going deeper in the mu43 system and get a pen-f

What is the opinion about which lens should go on it?

I already own the luminous 20mm mkI so I could pair it with something wider like the Leica 15mm or the oly 12mm or the oly 9-18 as I didn't like the 12mm that much on my epl3 when I tried it

Or should I grow up and buy an oly 12-40 ?

As we are talking gear both IQ and camera looks are important....

4. LucDeSchepper

LucDeSchepper Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2014
    Netherlands
    Luc de Schepper
    It all depends on what you (want to) shoot and what you miss in your current gear.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    e-pl5 with whatever lens you have to shoot along the em10 to have less lens swaps?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    • Like Like x 4