1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Gear Advice...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by toyanucci, Apr 20, 2015.

1. toyanucci

toyanucci Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2014
    Currently I have an EM1 and the Panasonic 14mm as well as the Olympus 25mm, 45mm and 75mm lenses. As you can tell I love me a fast lens (I wish sigma would make a 1.8 zoom for M43 but alas they probably don't think there is enough demand to justify or pay for the research)! I love my primes, but sometimes I have missed shots because I've had to be changing lenses. Reviewing my shots I find I use the 25mm the most followed by the 45mm for most portraits I do then the 14mm and lastly the 75mm.

I love the 75mm and I know it's one of the best lenses out there for the system but I don't usually get the opportunity to use it as many portraits indoors and even outdoors don't allow for the needed distance to use the 75mm. So while it may be better than the 45mm I use the 45mm more because of the focal length. I have used the 75mm when photographing performers from side stage and especially at night it can't be beat! Below is an image I took from side stage without needing to do much cropping at all:

15508139714_3475666baf_c.
    75mm

But below you can see the benefits of the 45mm as in this setting I didn't have much room to work with when photographing my daughter the day she was born.

16210882120_a5587e61c6_c.
    45mm

The 25mm is a great all rounder, can do portraits and everyday shooting which is why it's usually on my camera, and the 14 is for whenever I need something wider.

17066289946_5628bc2178_c.
    25mm

16597503945_b466771737_c.
    25mm

But before I go on and on about my lenses, let me get to the point. I think I want/need to get the 12-40 pro lens as it would be very convenient vs all my primes and my girlfriend friends can stop asking me "how do you zoom?!" when I give them the camera to take a pic of me lol. My issue is I know I will be able to get rid of the 14mm as it will be redundant (except for it's convenient size!), but it's so hard to think of parting with any of the other primes. Practicality says get rid of the 45mm as it's close to the 12-40 though not as fast, and I have the 75mm which can do portraits and will make my kit more versatile. But another part of me is saying I hardly use the 75mm so get rid of that and the 14mm and keep everything else, but so much range will overlap that it really doesn't make sense.

Please give me your advice and help me decide which direction to go in, and if anyone wants to part ways with their 12-40 I'll snap it up as well lol.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    You're thinking about it all wrong, stick with the primes and get a second body :D

A used EM5 would be cheap and effective. Choose two lenses at a time, good combos would be 14/25, 14/45, and 25/75.

If you had to simply ditch one of your primes, I would say the 45. It's not that far off of the 25 for more general use, and a few steps back and using the 75 will always give better portraits.

Edit: Hah, I just realized that my Nikon FX kit mirrors exactly the focal lengths of your m4/3 kit: 28, 50, 85, 150. The 85 gets left home most often, even though I love that focal length.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd keep the primes. I like the extra speed on m4/3s vs 2.8, although depending on how you shoot it may not be that big of a deal. In your shoes I'd consider picking up an LX100. 24-75mm zoom, pretty fast lens (1.78-2.8) 4K video and other bells and whistles, compact. Great IQ, thought not in same class as 12-40, but you'd have your primes for that. Also helps to minimize lens changes.

That approach is not for everybody, but something worth considering, I think.

4. toyanucci

toyanucci Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2014
    Another body would be great, but it would add to the number of things I'd have to carry and it would mean a bigger camera bag.

That shows my current setup. That was when I just got the 75mm and thought I'd use it alot, I've since switched places of the 75mm with where I 45/14 are in the video. If I keep the 25m and 75mm and get the 12-40 I would probably have to keep the 12-40 in that whole section where the flash and 75mm are in the video and carry the flash elsewhere.

As you can see, I have thought alot about this and am still stuck as to how to proceed.

5. toyanucci

toyanucci Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2014
    Looking at reviews of the LX100. Thanks for the advice!

6. Wandering Aengus

Wandering Aengus Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2012
    If the slower speed on the 12-40 won't bog you down, I don't think your images would suffer. Your wallet probably will because you will get it and realize you can't actually part with the Oly 45 or the 75. I know I couldn't. I don't have the same love for the Panny 14, but they really don't bring much on the used market, so I haven't talked myself into parting with it either.

The second body is a solid idea as well.

7. toyanucci

toyanucci Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2014
    Do you find you use the 12-40 more though? I know speed isn't everything and the IBIS makes shooting with a slower lens at lower shutter speeds not a bad thing, but I'd rather have the option of a thinner DOF than not, but sometimes practicality comes first.

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Other than the 14 I'm not sure getting rid of the 25 & 45 makes sense. At least to start with. You would need to see if the 12-40 works for you first otherwise you might just have to turn around and sell it to get them back.

Have you checked you images to see what your average apertures is or are you sure you're always wide open? Of course the extra aperture does help the camera in AF and metering. Fast glass is not fast just because of being able to use higher shutter speeds but also because of the extra light for the camera's systems to use before the exposure.

9. toyanucci

toyanucci Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2014
    I take photographs of people mainly which I discovered after going through my photos lol. I also shoot wide open a lot but not always. When needed I stop down but when doing portraits I'm usually wide open because of how sharp these lenses are wide open and to get as much separation as possible when needed.

15857391723_35ae2f259b_c.
    45mm

16394983764_5912a45f7d_c.
    45mm

16759909080_4f2c76c401_c.
    45mm

I'm so torn because I know the 12-40mm can't give me this kind of separation. I guess a used em5 may just be the best option after all...

Oh, and I'd definitely keep the 25mm either way, it's too good to let go!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wandering Aengus

Wandering Aengus Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2012
    The 12-40's weatherproofing was what sold me on it. I am not afraid to float a river with it on my camera. Changing lenses on a river is not always a good idea, especially if it is raining.

I still use the primes just as much. I know, not the answer you were hoping for.

11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Unless you need the weather sealing I would look at the E-M10 + grip. The grip makes the E-M10 beefier than the E-M5 and with out the grip it's a great match with the 14 for size.

What the E-M10 gives you is some of the little things that were updated on the E-M1 from the E-M5. Processor, AF updates, plus a bunch of little things that you might take for granted on your E-M1, but might notice when they're gone from the E-M5. Also if you get it with the kit 14-42 is solves your "how do I zoom problem"

Just a thought YMMV.

12. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    You have that bag very efficiently packed! I think a second body with the 12-40, and the 75 on the other would cover all your bases. Or, primes and a second body. Either way I think a second body would be a benefit.

It is indeed a dilemma, one which you don't lose with either. The primes are great, as is the 12-40 by all accounts. I'm struggling with much the same dilemma. I have the 12, 17, 45 and 50-200 SWD. I plan to get a second body (current is EM-1) and keep thinking the 12-40 would be perfect, but don't want to lose the speed of the primes (and I can't afford both).

Good luck!

13. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Looking at your photos, I'm not sure you need to change a thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. toyanucci

toyanucci Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2014
    Yup! I can't really afford both either lol. I don't shoot wide that often but I'd love the 12 if I stay with primes...someday lol. I've been looking and a used em10 is way cheaper than the 12-40 which would save me some money while allowing me to be flexible. It's definitely a consideration I'm looking at seriously.

15. toyanucci

toyanucci Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2014
    Photography bug bit me about year ago and It's been a GAS filled ride the whole time lol. Thanks for the compliments!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    get a used 12-40 ??

You know you'll regret selling the primes. As to second body, why not a used GH1? They are selling for $150 and represent outstanding value and really are quite the equal of the current Oly bodies (and who knows, you may find yourself liking that tilt swivel screen on occasions).

PS: sometimes I want wider than my 14mm is, and as that's not really common I've found that the Panasonic GWC-1 adapter makes my 14mm into a 11mm f2.5 lens which is quite reasonably sharp for such a wide.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  17. PMCC

PMCC Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2013
    What about just buy the 12-23 instead? Then there is no need to give up any fast prime, which you'd prefer anyways.

18. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I have, or have had and sold, all of those except the 75, which is just too long for my style. If I need to go longer than 60mm, I switch to a long zoom.

All that said, once I got my 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, I fell in love and now use it for over 75% of my shots. The IQ is on a par with the 12mm, 25mm and 45mm and better than the 14 and 17 (IMHO.) It stays on my camera all the time, only coming off when I decide I need a "specialty" lens. The disadvantages, as you know, are a stop or stop-and-a-half less speed and the size/weight, which is more than any of the primes. If I need that extra speed or shallower DOF, I have the primes. To counter the weight and bulk, I use the Really Right Stuff grip and "L" bracket. Without some sort of grip I suspect I wouldn't be as happy with it.

Count this as one more enthusiastic vote for the 12-40 PRO.

19. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Just remember em10 use different battery, it's not like the one in em5.

20. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    don't ya just love datsheet .... its one of the reasons I keep my GF-1 and GH-1 ... same battery in both. I only need to carry one charger and a few batteries to do both bodies.