1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GE joining the M4/3 consortium

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by iliakoltsov, Mar 31, 2011.

1. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    GE seems very interested in joining the M4/3 consortium , this will give an insane amount of money for research and development. Panasonic and Olympus are big players but GE is just in a different league all together in terms of turnover.

GE aims to expand into the ILC segment - Crave - CNET Asia

Hope this rumour is true.

2. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    i had no idea they made lenses.

3. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    they are a huge company, they can easily have lenses developed and made by third parties. Or design them and have 3rd party factories make them.

4. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    Key words are "Micro Four Thirds-like " :smile:

BK

• Like Like x 1
  5. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Very interesting news.

6. bigfoot

bigfoot Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 19, 2011
    Over here we build the missile parts, over here the jet engines, and oh yeah, over here the cameras.

Talk about diversification.

7. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    But they do built a hell of a jet engine, the best currently on the commercial market in performance and efficiency. And their major kitchen appliances are fantastic, and make great medical optics as well. They might build a ton of different things, so does sony and samsung. And they do make some good products.

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Their only real option would be to destroy the price premium that m4/3 has on their niche market and break it into a larger field. In order to do that they also need to break their junk POS, er I mean P&S camera stigma. Perhaps they could partner with Samsung, who doesn't seem to be selling well in most of the world outside their home market. It would still need to actually be a good camera.

9. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    I can see a different reasoning , by joining M4/3 they have already a very good technology , patentless mount.

All of that they can then use in their Healthcare department , it is like a long term investment cameras is just really a show room , if this happens then sure that M4/3 will win the evil battle.

10. thmitch

thmitch New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2011
    Actually GE cameras are made and markted by General Imaging. They pay General Electric a licensing fee for use of the name and logo.

11. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    I have read the test reports of their P&S compacts and seen the bridge camera......well never mind, lets go and watch paint dry.

12. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Based on their P & S work, I don't see a lot to be encouraged about.:cool:

13. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Perhaps their addition to the market won't be anything to get excited about, but any additional support backing the MFT technology, is a good sign for it's future.

14. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Unless it gets MFT a bad name, be careful what you wish for !!!!!!

15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Not sure it's a good news at all. GE may very well downgrade m43 image and reputation should they join. I'd rather see Pentax, Fuji or Sigma joining.

16. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

GE is certainly large enough and sufficiently politically connected to affect the m43 world if they enter. However, we photographers ought to also look at the history of Ge in consumer products.....high quality in consumer products has not been a GEforte. If they enter this market, I sure hope they design the control rods to fall under gravity when the battery drains rather than require an electric motor that will not work without the battery.

Just some random thjoughts,
    Tom

17. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I would scale that back a bit with consumer level product not being good. Look at their kitchen ranges, some of the best out there. We can say the same for some of the panasonic consumer level product, some of their phones was just trashy.

18. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Actually, my parents had a GE referigerator and washer die on them within two years of purchase. When purchasing appliances for my home, I specifically refused to consider GE products because of this experience. Perhaps the items my parents had were lemons but I wasn't about to drop my cash to find out.

19. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Yeppers, we all have different experiences and opinions. In our home we would not consider or look at GE appliances due to a whole lot of bad experiences over many years. So, if their ranges are better than other appliances, we had one that burned up. GE is able to do because they can buy their way into anything, but this does not set quality as their objective and I feel strongly that this statement is most true with the GE consumer products.

Regards,
    Tom