G'day from Australia

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by russell, Dec 28, 2010.

1. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    Hello, just thought I would say 'hi' seeing as there is a sub-forum dedicated to it.

Great site. I am very excited to discover it and to discover micro 4/3 in general.

I am hoping one of the Olympus models will be what I have been waiting for for 5 years or more -- a decent replacement for everything I loved about my OM10. I basically gave up serious photography with the advent of digital compacts as they just made film-based photography seem so laborious and expensive. DSLRs have been mostly out of my price range but are also extremely ugly. Also I hate the idea of my nice Zuiko primes going to waste.

Plus nothing screams "compensating" more than a big black Canikon with thick, fat zoom click-click-clicking in everyone's face! :rofl:. How many Christmas Days have been spoiled by these?

Outstanding function and understated elegance of form, with affordability - it seems like someone is finally providing this in digital form and I get to keep using my old lenses and satisfy my brand loyalty at the same time.

The only snag will be convincing the minister for internal finance to let me buy one :).
    • Like Like x 2
  2. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

G'day Russell.
    Sounds like you've already convinced yourself. You won't regret it.
    I have an Oly DSLR (e510) and now an EPL1 and find myself grabbing the Pen mostly.
    In fact I took the 510 for a run yesterday and was surprised just how big and heavy it is.

Just be prepared for a bit of a learning curve. You'll probably become an enthusiast whether you want to be or not! Its addictive fun.
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Russell, thanks so much for jumping right in and introducing yourself! There are many of us who found our way here due to our "old fashioned" Olympus love.:wink: It looks to me that you're well on your way and will do very well with your Minister of Finance. Perhaps the presentation should point out all the money you'll save by using those Olympus lenses? :biggrin: Just tally them up!
  4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Russell - I came from an E-3 and 5 lenses so know what you mean about intrusive and heavy gear. Do you have a digicam at the moment or are you still using film?
  5. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

the mu43 cameras are so small maybe the "Finance Minister" won't even see what you buy. Anyway I'd recommend the G1, GF-1 or G2, very cheap in Melbourne at the moment.
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Now you just need to choose which m4/3! Biggest advantage of the Olympus models if you're using OM lenses is the sensor based stabilisation. Without wanting to plug the opposition too much, Zuiko and other OM mount primes are also amazing on big, ugly Canons as well as m4/3.
  7. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello and welcome from Holland !
  8. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Greetings Russell.
  9. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    I still have the film gear but don't use it as it's hard to justify the expense (especially given my taste in film and processing) in comparison to digital.

Just for family snaps and other routine purposes I have just an ultra cheap point & shoot -- or click & pray as I call it as you feel totally at the whim of chance as to whether anything usable will result! (It's a Canon A470.)

How cheap? I could be tempted by the GF1. Although I'm usually the last to care about appearances, I just don't like the way the G1/2 look like pretend DSLRs.