1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GDay Brisbane Australia

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by BBWilly, Apr 3, 2013.

1. BBWilly

BBWilly Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    Hi I would like to say hello and what a fantastic forum this is.

I am looking at both a OMD 12-50mm kit and a Pentex K-01.

Leaning towards the OMD mainly because of size and wanting the wife to feel comfortable using it and some of the features as for the the Pentax well its a lot cheaper as they are running it out so I would have more to spend on lenses etc.

I am so confused my brain says OMD my wallet says Pentex.

grrrrrrrrr

2. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Hi BBWilly,
    Welcome to the forum. Good to see another Brisbanite here.
    Have no idea about the Pentex but have come from Canon FF myself and the OMD has been great.

Best of luck with your decision and welcome again.

3. FlyLo

FlyLo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Don
    Welcome mate, I'm from brissy as well, and have only recently joined up.

I was in the same delima, although it was between a gx1 (which I had already purchased) and an OMD, which I found for a great price.

I probably didn't need the OMD but I got it anyway (and will get rid of the gx1). The OMD makes me happy not only to use, but to look at too, and that's gotta count for something right? Haha.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

4. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    Welcome BBWilly to mu-43. NoComments from Whirlpool here ;) Hope you enjoy your stay. Good bunch of peoples in this forum. Go with the OMD. You will be happy with it. If you don't mind secondhand gears, there are some OMDs going cheap in the Buy/Sale section. There is one for sale atm from Melbourne (from Livnius). I met him personally and he is a nice guy to deal with.

5. BBWilly

BBWilly Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    Thanks guys yep will go with the OMD then.

Most of Livnius gears gone :frown: bit of a shame and after a Silver OMD as I like the nostalgic look of it.

Anyway 1.2k just cleaerd through my bank accounts so tomorrow i will go for a drive :smile:

6. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Get a refurbished OMD, $759 I think. The Pentax just don't have the glass man!

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome BBWilly!

Looking forward to some shots from the new OM-D EM-5!

Regards,

Jim

8. smarikoe

smarikoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Good Op :thumbup:

I managed to snag the Silver OM-D with 12-50mm for about $1070 in the past (JB Hi Fi) so definitely shop around. Ended up selling the 12-50mm for 300 bucks so pretty much got the body for $770! :biggrin:

9. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    welcome, from another brisbanite! There are quite a few of us here.

10. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    And another welcome from yet another Brisbaneite. Yes, there are quite a few of us here, and the number seems to keep growing.

11. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Refurbished Olympus camera's in the states have an obscene postage to Australia for some reason. Not really worth it unfortunately :frown:

Welcome Willy!

12. BBWilly

BBWilly Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    Thanks guys really good to see a number of users in Brisbane makes me feel very comfortable this is going to be a real journey for me whilst I have had a D70 way back when I think I have just about forgotten the little I had learnt back then through trial and error.

What lep me back to this was last Sunday we put all the eggs out for our 2.9mth old son and he had a fantastic time getting the eggs out of the bushes etc but we missed most of it photo wise our little point and shoot just couldn't handle the low light conditions to be honest I felt a little heart broken that i couldn't get any decent pics my wife said she felt the same so we decided that it was time to get something decent with the next baby arriving in a months time so we needed a camera that both could use and my feeling was that OMD would fit the bill.

I took the wife to the camera store and she held the camera last weekend and said she really liked it, when I asked what the difference was between that and the SLR she said that she felt quite intimidated by the D7000 and I guess that's fair enough not the first time I have heard someone say that about and SLR.

I can also start playing around in macro again something I have missed and to be honest I felt at times with the D70 way back when it was a bit of a chore to use in a way

So anyway looking forward to the journey we are heading to the store tomorrow I think so I should be as happy as a pig in mud by 1600 hrs tomorrow I would say.

13. BBWilly

BBWilly Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    Yep looked into that today not really worth it may as well just buy new unless one has a 2month old one or something :wink: that they no longer require.

14. BBWilly

BBWilly Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    Yep thanks mate I have had a look but I am going to head to Photo Continental tomorrow i am going to pay more but I have found them good to deal with in the past hope they haven't changed.

Dont really want to go with grey on the body basically because of the warranty issues i had with my D70 it was grey and I had some issues it would have been cheaper to buy in aus back then but ya get that I am happy with lenses but just seems more can go wrong with a Body.

And a possible 3 week wait for kogan about the time the baby will be due.

15. FlyLo

FlyLo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Don
    All good :smile: Yeah, that's probably a wiser move.

Photo Continental have always been super helpful every time I've been in there. I bet you're counting down the minutes!! :biggrin:

16. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Camera Pro in town and also in the Valley had the lowest price in Brisbane when I bought my E-M5 and they also are good people to deal with.

17. BBWilly

BBWilly Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    I was so tempted to tell work that my son was sick at daycare so I would need the rest of the day off and go and get him :redface: and drop in and get the camera but I didn't I was strong.

But I also need to make sure the wife is included mainly because I want eher to feel like she own it as well.

18. BBWilly

BBWilly Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    Thanks David will keep them on mind they are cheaper have you ever had to deal with them for service?

19. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    Surprise that so many members are from Brisbane. I am sensing a .... Brisbane Photo Walk is coming soon :)