Gave up waiting for GH2 - ordered GH1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jalex, Mar 7, 2011.

1. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Panasonic Direct is now selling the GH1 Body only for 349 dollars if you are eligible for their EPP (employee program). I have an Olympus epl1 which I am quite happy with but mainly wanted a better video quality in a second body . . . I think even this non hackable GH1 will probably provide that. At that price it was hard to pass up. I'm thinking about parking my 100-300 lens on the GH1 and keeping the 20mm pancake on the epl1 and carrying both bodies on outings. For those of you who have been fortunate enough to get a GH2 but who also had the GH1 . . . am I going to regret not waiting it out for the GH2?

Thanks in advance,
    Jane

2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Hi Jane... I never had a GH-1 but I do have a GH-2. From all that I've learned studying them, I decided to wait for the GH2 no matter what. Not that the GH-1 would be a poor choice by any means, but I didn't HAVE to have a GH at any particular time and I'm glad I waited.

I'd say if you really need the body, then jump on the GH-1, because it's such a great price. You could always flip it later and pick up a GH-2 when availability is better. Not a bad idea even if you don't really NEED the body.

But if you don't really NEED the body, you could just hang out a bit and be patient. I can't imagine it would take that much longer to get a hold of a GH-2.

3. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

I echo Dhart's sentiments. If it's not absolutely essential that you get a new camera body now, you might be better off waiting on the GH2. Personally, I absolutely love my GH2. It's extremely responsive, very easy to use and IQ, in my own personal opinion (I'm not a pixel peeper), is great! In addition, the video capabilities of the GH2 are awesome! I have yet to see the full potential of this camera. :)

4. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Thanks so much for the input from both of you (mqavila) and Don :)
    I'm glad to hear that you really are happy with your GH2s . . . I think I might just go ahead and get the GH1 and as you suggest sell it when I get a GH2. That price is pretty hard to pass up.

Note: canceled the GH1 order and will wait it out for the GH2.