Gave up waiting for GH2 - ordered GH1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jalex, Mar 7, 2011.

1. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Panasonic Direct is now selling the GH1 Body only for 349 dollars if you are eligible for their EPP (employee program). I have an Olympus epl1 which I am quite happy with but mainly wanted a better video quality in a second body . . . I think even this non hackable GH1 will probably provide that. At that price it was hard to pass up. I'm thinking about parking my 100-300 lens on the GH1 and keeping the 20mm pancake on the epl1 and carrying both bodies on outings. For those of you who have been fortunate enough to get a GH2 but who also had the GH1 . . . am I going to regret not waiting it out for the GH2?

Thanks in advance,
    Jane

2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Hi Jane... I never had a GH-1 but I do have a GH-2. From all that I've learned studying them, I decided to wait for the GH2 no matter what. Not that the GH-1 would be a poor choice by any means, but I didn't HAVE to have a GH at any particular time and I'm glad I waited.

I'd say if you really need the body, then jump on the GH-1, because it's such a great price. You could always flip it later and pick up a GH-2 when availability is better. Not a bad idea even if you don't really NEED the body.

But if you don't really NEED the body, you could just hang out a bit and be patient. I can't imagine it would take that much longer to get a hold of a GH-2.

3. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

I echo Dhart's sentiments. If it's not absolutely essential that you get a new camera body now, you might be better off waiting on the GH2. Personally, I absolutely love my GH2. It's extremely responsive, very easy to use and IQ, in my own personal opinion (I'm not a pixel peeper), is great! In addition, the video capabilities of the GH2 are awesome! I have yet to see the full potential of this camera. :)

4. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Thanks so much for the input from both of you (mqavila) and Don :)
    I'm glad to hear that you really are happy with your GH2s . . . I think I might just go ahead and get the GH1 and as you suggest sell it when I get a GH2. That price is pretty hard to pass up.

Note: canceled the GH1 order and will wait it out for the GH2.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.