Gave up on the Olympus focus clutch

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I gave up on the focus clutch on the 12-100 and 40-150/2.8.
On the 12-100, I kept accidentally knocking the clutch from AF to MF, then when I wanted it to AF, it just sat there. ARGH :wtf:
The switch on the side of the lens, while not as convenient, in my experience is less likely to accidentally get knocked to MF when I want AF. In fact I have yet to accidentally knock the switch from AF to MF.​
So after the Nth time, I gave up and went into the menu to turn the clutch off.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I understand, but I have left mine still, however I changed the focus AF+MF to ON in Menu A1, second line (E-M1 II), & then MF can be used anytime (while holding shutter button at half position) & then use the switch when using MF full time.

DaveJP

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Plumb
When using the 40-150 2.8 I frequently knock the focus clutch on inadvertently, so it becomes a nuisance. However, it's never bothered me on the 12-40 2.8, and I've been using that since I changed to M4/3 back in 2017. I wish the focus clutch disable function could be assignable to the lens Fn button; then you could turn it on or off conveniently.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I assigned the depth of field button to A/F/M focus. And just use that. Left middle finger, and , boom! Just like a 🖕but sideways.

Tread-Lite

Mu-43 Rookie
I absolutely love the clutches on Olympus Pro lenses and almost never engage them by accident. On the contrary, I sometimes accidentally toggle the AF-MF switch on my PanaLeica 8-18 when I mount or dismount the lens and it is less obvious when you look at the lens or when you shoot at 8 mm. I guess, it might depend on how the lenses fit into the bag. Oh, and I normally carry them with hoods reversed which might explain why the clutches stay put.

YMMV

New to Mu-43
I too love the clutch and use it often. IMO a much more intuitive solution than a small side button sitting next to one or two other identical buttons that control features I do not want to touch (e.g. IS).
On the 40-150 I experience that the clutch does tend to move while the lens is sitting in the backpack but that never really bothered me.
My 2c

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Those pesky things have given me several sweaty moments, I dont own any oly stuff with such any more.

Actually pondering off-loading the 45 f:1.8 for the Panasonic 42.5 f:1.7, which will leave me oly-less, other than the BCL(s) which dont have any alternatives.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Even with no prior experience with ILCs, I've never accidently activated the MF clutch of 12-100mm either, so it is hard to understand. It is happening when you guys are putting the camera back in the bag? Or is it while you are operating the camera? I can't help but wonder if I am the one who is holding the camera improperly, still trying to get used to the shape and the weight of it.

Real Name
Paul
The killer moment for me was when I slid my M1 and 12-40 into the underwater housing without realizing the clutch was bumped until I was deep in the sh!t on a night dive in Washington's San Juan Islands. I threw quite the temper tantrum until I remembered reading somewhere that you could turn off that feature through the camera menu. A great example of sensory deprivation is trying to hover in cold dark water at night while fumbling through the elegantly simple Olympus menu system with thick gloves and itty bitty buttons. Once I figured it out, it's been that way ever since. I now program a front button on the body for MF.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Even with no prior experience with ILCs, I've never accidently activated the MF clutch of 12-100mm either, so it is hard to understand. It is happening when you guys are putting the camera back in the bag? Or is it while you are operating the camera? I can't help but wonder if I am the one who is holding the camera improperly, still trying to get used to the shape and the weight of it.
These 'accidental' shifting of the AF/MF ring can happen when changing lenses or it gets bumped in awkward situations. It's happened to me on the 12-40 lens but not normally on the 40-150. People have different situations & different bags & circumstances etc where these sort of things can happen & "it doesn't happen to me" doesn't mean it won't happen with others. If I found it a constant occurrence then I would be irritated too, but thankfully there are options to deal with it. Sometimes habits can be highlighted for causes of certain occurrences which may be modified too.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
With respect to pulling the camera/lens out of bag or something like that, the presence or lack of a backwards mounted hood on the 12-1090 probably makes a difference as well. The included hood's petals tend to extend over the ring a bit semi protecting it from being bumped out of position. Other lenses that didn't come with an included hood such as the 17/1.8 are probably more prone to it if the user never got a hood or uses a 3rd party one that isn't reversible.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
Those pesky things have given me several sweaty moments, I dont own any oly stuff with such any more.

Actually pondering off-loading the 45 f:1.8 for the Panasonic 42.5 f:1.7, which will leave me oly-less, other than the BCL(s) which dont have any alternatives.

The Pergear 10mm/8 and 7Artisans 18mm f6.3 are viable alternatives to the BCL's, the 7Artisans is MUCH better optically than the 15/8 BCL (it's not a simple triplet), and 2/3rds of a stop faster to boot.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom