1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Gave in and bought a G2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DarrenG, Jul 12, 2011.

1. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    I'm a GF1 owner and love the camera. I've had much more fun with m4/3 than I ever had with any other cameras.

But the few shortcomings of the GF1 have persuaded me to invest in a G2. I'll keep hold of the GF1 as a backup, compact option. For me, the better EVF (I have the add-on EVF but it is dire), better handling with larger lenses etc were what drove my decision.

I did look at the G3 but it's more money and didn't have enough to justify the extra cost.

Just waiting for delivery now. As I already have the 14-45mm, is it worth me keeping the 14-42mm that it comes with or would I be better selling it on?

• Like Like x 1
  2. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

To my opinionj it's better selling because I argue that the 14-45 is a better lens, but maybe someone can tell more.

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I forget to say sell if you already have another lens for the GF1 or don't use both at the same time.:biggrin:

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have the 14-45 and it is a terrific (albeit a bit slow) lens. I think it's the nicest m43 kit I've seen so far and the maybe nicest kit lens I've ever used (Canon 10D, Nikon D40, Olympus E-500/E-520/E-P1/E-PL1). I'd keep it over the 14-42.

5. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Mu-43 Regular

6. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Yes thanks, will be sending off my claim form as soon as the camera arrives. A welcome bonus :smile:

Looking forward to sampling the G2's EVF, all the reviews suggest it's a lot better than the EVF-1 I have!

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Enjoy your new EVF, and keep your old lens, sell the new.
    As soon as you can get an adapter and a manual 50mm lens : the EVF makes this combination some kind of magic.
    (Which you could have done after your own thread here ; )
    https://www.mu-43.com/f35/background-defocus-8722/

• Like Like x 1
  8. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Already there, bought an old Canon FD 50mm and an adapter :)

9. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Sell the 14-42, put the 14-45 on the G2 and buy a pancake lens (Lumix 20mm F1.7) for the GF1.

Simples! :)

10. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    I'll sell the 14-42. Already have the 20mm which is almost permanently attached to the GF1. Now to save for the 100-300m :)

11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Your plan to buy a 100-300 is another reason it was a wise decision to purchase the G2. Larger MFT lenses like the 14-140 can be a real borderline proposition on the GF1 - or even the new G3 - not in terms of function but in terms of ergonomics and comfort.

12. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Indeed, already have the 45-200 and that is very unwieldy on the GF1 handheld.

13. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The 45-200 is quite comfy on the G2 (at least I think so). It is becoming a favorite walk around lens for me.

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'm looking for one at a reasonable price here in Italy but is very difficult to find.

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Just to mention, I also have succumbed to the dark side. I found the G2 very appealing at the $300 price but decided against it. Then I suddenly sold a few a things and $300 appeared in my hand. I took this as a sign from the sensor gods and ordered the G2. I'm hoping the G2 and E-P2 will complement each other in my bag. Given the nature of the mu43 system, it's possible to have two fairly different bodies as mutual backups.

• Like Like x 1
  16. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

I also got a sign from the sensor gods that showed me a 45-200mm new at a lower price here in Italy 299 euros; well I think I'm going to get one so I can use it on Pana and Ol as soon as I get aOly body. So like you I can complement the two different ways to IS. If with primes I'm too shaky with Pana I use Oly: clever no?:rolleyes:
    So that's a very nice reason for buying another body. And my K5? Well too heavy (thats my lie).:biggrin:

The truth is I love :43::wink:

17. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    My G2 arrived and I'm delighted with it. With the GF1 as a second body I have my perfect system. The EVF on the G2 is a delight, the handling is much improved with longer lenses and it's all I'd hoped and more.

18. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Here in italy there is a g2+kit zoom+3d 12mm lens for 499 euros... I wanted to buy the evf for my olympus epl2 and the 3d lens but i'll spend the same and get a body + kit lens instead of an hot shoe accessory ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

Can you tell me where?

20. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    --Sorry for italian language--

Buongiorno elandel.
    È un'offerta sul sito di vendite online del mediaworld. Nei negozi l'ho visto a 100 euro in più ma magari non avevano ancora adattato il prezzo.
    Link: http://compraonline.mediaworld.it/w...category_rn=60746132&siteId=mobile&fromPage=1
    Lunedì ik sito segnalava non disponibile, ma ieri mi è arrivata la loro mail che era tornato in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 2