Gave in and bought a G2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DarrenG, Jul 12, 2011.

1. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    I'm a GF1 owner and love the camera. I've had much more fun with m4/3 than I ever had with any other cameras.

But the few shortcomings of the GF1 have persuaded me to invest in a G2. I'll keep hold of the GF1 as a backup, compact option. For me, the better EVF (I have the add-on EVF but it is dire), better handling with larger lenses etc were what drove my decision.

I did look at the G3 but it's more money and didn't have enough to justify the extra cost.

Just waiting for delivery now. As I already have the 14-45mm, is it worth me keeping the 14-42mm that it comes with or would I be better selling it on?

• Like Like x 1
  2. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

To my opinionj it's better selling because I argue that the 14-45 is a better lens, but maybe someone can tell more.

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I forget to say sell if you already have another lens for the GF1 or don't use both at the same time.:biggrin:

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have the 14-45 and it is a terrific (albeit a bit slow) lens. I think it's the nicest m43 kit I've seen so far and the maybe nicest kit lens I've ever used (Canon 10D, Nikon D40, Olympus E-500/E-520/E-P1/E-PL1). I'd keep it over the 14-42.

5. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Mu-43 Regular

6. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Yes thanks, will be sending off my claim form as soon as the camera arrives. A welcome bonus :smile:

Looking forward to sampling the G2's EVF, all the reviews suggest it's a lot better than the EVF-1 I have!

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Enjoy your new EVF, and keep your old lens, sell the new.
    As soon as you can get an adapter and a manual 50mm lens : the EVF makes this combination some kind of magic.
    (Which you could have done after your own thread here ; )
    https://www.mu-43.com/f35/background-defocus-8722/

• Like Like x 1
  8. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Already there, bought an old Canon FD 50mm and an adapter :)

9. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Sell the 14-42, put the 14-45 on the G2 and buy a pancake lens (Lumix 20mm F1.7) for the GF1.

Simples! :)

10. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    I'll sell the 14-42. Already have the 20mm which is almost permanently attached to the GF1. Now to save for the 100-300m :)

11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Your plan to buy a 100-300 is another reason it was a wise decision to purchase the G2. Larger MFT lenses like the 14-140 can be a real borderline proposition on the GF1 - or even the new G3 - not in terms of function but in terms of ergonomics and comfort.

12. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Indeed, already have the 45-200 and that is very unwieldy on the GF1 handheld.

13. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The 45-200 is quite comfy on the G2 (at least I think so). It is becoming a favorite walk around lens for me.

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'm looking for one at a reasonable price here in Italy but is very difficult to find.

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Just to mention, I also have succumbed to the dark side. I found the G2 very appealing at the $300 price but decided against it. Then I suddenly sold a few a things and $300 appeared in my hand. I took this as a sign from the sensor gods and ordered the G2. I'm hoping the G2 and E-P2 will complement each other in my bag. Given the nature of the mu43 system, it's possible to have two fairly different bodies as mutual backups.

• Like Like x 1
  16. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

I also got a sign from the sensor gods that showed me a 45-200mm new at a lower price here in Italy 299 euros; well I think I'm going to get one so I can use it on Pana and Ol as soon as I get aOly body. So like you I can complement the two different ways to IS. If with primes I'm too shaky with Pana I use Oly: clever no?:rolleyes:
    So that's a very nice reason for buying another body. And my K5? Well too heavy (thats my lie).:biggrin:

The truth is I love :43::wink:

17. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    My G2 arrived and I'm delighted with it. With the GF1 as a second body I have my perfect system. The EVF on the G2 is a delight, the handling is much improved with longer lenses and it's all I'd hoped and more.

18. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Here in italy there is a g2+kit zoom+3d 12mm lens for 499 euros... I wanted to buy the evf for my olympus epl2 and the 3d lens but i'll spend the same and get a body + kit lens instead of an hot shoe accessory ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

Can you tell me where?

20. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    --Sorry for italian language--

Buongiorno elandel.
    È un'offerta sul sito di vendite online del mediaworld. Nei negozi l'ho visto a 100 euro in più ma magari non avevano ancora adattato il prezzo.
    Link: http://compraonline.mediaworld.it/w...category_rn=60746132&siteId=mobile&fromPage=1
    Lunedì ik sito segnalava non disponibile, ma ieri mi è arrivata la loro mail che era tornato in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.