1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GAS (sort of) including 7-14 & Primes

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by DaveEP, Oct 18, 2015.

1. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I just sold my large drone that used the GH4 + Oly 12mm f2.0 / Oly 45 f1.8. I still have the camera and lens, just the drone went.

So, I'm thinking about what lenses I actually use day to day outside of the drone environment, the ones I'd pick up if I'm walking out the door for casual shooting, or maybe taking some room shots for a friend who rents flats (apartments), or perhaps going on a cruise (the major vacation type I take).

I don't need the kit kit to be tiny and pocketable, I'd buy a P&S for that, so having two or three lenses and a couple of bodies is OK, but I'm still thinking of reducing the amount of kit I do take with me.

I use the EM1 for photos more than the GH4, with the GH4 used more for video with the occasional photo where appropriate.

Here's the glass I currently have:

Primes:
    Olympus 12mm f2.0
    Lumix 14mm f2.5
    Lumix 20mm f1.7
    Olympus 45mm f1.8

Zooms:
    Lumix 7-14 f4.0
    Lumix 12-35 f2.8
    Lumix 35-100 f2.8
    Lumix 14-140 f3.5-5.6 ASPH

In terms of the primes, I have to admit I tend not to use them much when walking about and in reality the Oly 12 & 45 were only bought to use with the drone (it had specific lens size/weight limitations). The Lumix 14 f2.5 is almost never used and the 20 only when I'm really wanting to be small and light, or perhaps lower light. I find zooms so much more convenient compared to the primes, especially when you can't zoom with your feet (brick walls, edge of water etc) and for me there simply isn't enough pixel quality difference on real world photos to worry about. OK, for shallower DOF, you can't beat a prime, but I'm not a shallow DOF kinda guy anymore :)

As for the zooms, the 7-14 gets used when I need wide, particularly in small spaces! The 12-35 is on the camera the majority of the rest of the time and the 35-100 only when I need longer. Seems simple, right?

GAS Alert! I was thinking about swapping the Lumix 7-14 f4.0 for the Oly 7-14 f2.8, partly because it's an extra stop of light and partly because of the well documented flare problems with the Lumix on the Olympus body. I've had it happen several times and it was a pain to fix in post. I realise the Oly is bigger and heavier, but then if I wasn't carrying around all the primes as well then it would all balance out.

After that, I was thinking about selling some or all the primes too, and maybe starting again with different primes 'if' the situation arose where I felt the need.

So, questions...
    1) If you had the Lumix 7-14 and swapped to the Oly 7-14 are you happy with the swap? Would you do it again? If not, what causes the regret?

2) If you could keep just one of the primes I have - which one and why?

3) If you could sell all the primes I have and replace with just one - which one and why?

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    You do know that the Olympus lenses zoom in the opposite direction than Panasonic lenses?

3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    1. I kept the Lumix 7-14 and have shot hundreds of photos, very few of which flare was an issue and the f/4 on this lens has not caused me any consternation. The cost of money, size, and weight just is not worth it for me at this point. I have no regrets in not moving to the Olympus lens.

2 & 3. I could not keep just one prime, they serve different purposes. Out of the primes I have, I want one more - a 12mm f/0.95 or wider and/or faster, currently debating the Voigtlander 10.5 Nokton.

If it is just GAS driving this - just wait a month and see how you feel! You have one damn fine kit.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    1. Are you talking about usual lens flare or purple blotches? From reviews, Olympus 7-14 can have flares too and purple blotches, FWIW, were mainly caused by reflections from 16 mpx sensor on Olympus bodies and wasn't an issue on Panasonic bodies/sensors - due to different sensor coatings. Same as Clint, I'm keeping my Pany 7-14 for now, especially as it's permanently modified to accept ND filters in full zoom range.
    2-3. I probably would keep 20 and 14 from your current primes (though they make more sense with bodies smaller than EM1 or GH*), but you may pick some more specialized ones: 7.5 fisheye, Oly 60mm macro, Pany 42.5/1.2 or Oly 75/1.8 for portraits..

5. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    1) The gain you'd get from this swap would be the obvious extra stop of light plus you'd gain weather & dust sealings.
    2) If I could only keep one it would be the Olympus 45mm F1.8 superb for portraits.
    3) I would sell all my primes as they are redundant with the zooms you have and get the Olympus 60mm F2.8 Macro lens. It's the best macro lens I've ever used plus I love macro.
    Bobby:coffee-30:

6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Dave, what drone did you have and why did you sell it?

7. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    The DJI S900 + Z15 gimbal. I was awesome to fly, we flew it professionally as a 2 man crew with 4K footage from the GH4. We've done work for TV and films, with the first film being released by Universal Pictures Q1 2016.

Why did I sell it? The other side of my business (software development) just took on a contract that needs my full attention so won't be able to go flying for a while. No point having the aircraft sat around losing value, so I sold it. If the time is right to come back to it my qualifications still count (as long as I keep logging some time in the air with my 'toy' phantom) so I'm not too worried.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. undergrd

undergrd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Singapore
    1. I think you won't feel a much difference between the Pany and Oly 7-14 but if you have the money to spend, why not or else keep the money for sth else.
    2. I will keep the Pany 20mm f1.7. It can be a general purpose lens or you can use it indoor if you find that your zoom lenses do not have a wider aperture.
    3. Sell all your prime and buy a Pany LX100. It has a gd range with good aperture. Can use it as a second body or at situations when you dun want to bring your EM1 or GH4 out.

9. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Thanks to everyone for the input. I appreciate it.

I think I'm going to sell the 12/f2.0, 14/f2.5 and 45/f1.8 and keep the zooms and 20/f1.7 for now. We'll see how it goes :)

10. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The O7-14 2.8 is quite large if this is a factor, significantly larger than the P12-35 as an example.

11. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I need to find one in a store and play with it.

12. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry

I was a bit surprised. The 8mm 1.8 is not tiny but it is small compared to the 7-14Pro lens.