GAS = new lens time

battleaxe

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So, right now I only have the 14mm with my GF3, and while it's nice sometimes I want a longer focal length. I maybe going to Mardi Gras in February, so I kind of have that in mind. I was thinking of the 19mm, partially for the price. Then there is also the 30mm, but not sure if I'd like the focal length. Which part of me just thinks maybe I should just get the new 14-42mm. Searching for that lens also brings up the the Panasonic 45-150mm surprisingly can be had for a very nice price. I like the look of it, but not sure how handling would be on my GF3, nor if I would want such long focal length(I have a Sony SLT if I really needed a longer focal length), but the price and GAS and newness of it has me looking at it.

I guess what I really would like is a 14-105mm lens that starts at f2.5 and end at f4.5. Suggestions, tips or ideas? Thanks.

Meph

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Keith
I'd second the idea of the 20 1.7. Really nice lens you can get used for a good price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mu-43 mobile app

battleaxe

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have, but it seems like prices on amazon are around $320 second hand(or 375 if I go version II). It's a bit more than I prefer to spend, unless you can point to where I can get it for less. Part of the reason why I am looking at the 19mm. What would be a good usage scenario for the 30mm? It's a bit wide for portraits, no?

kadamnation

Mu-43 Regular
It might be a bit wide for traditional portraits, but 25mm & 45mm are my favorite lengths for street photography—wide enough to get some context, but close enough that you have some more detail. I haven't used a 30 myself, and for Mardi Gras a zoom might be nice to be able to get a combination of the wide angles and the specifics of the action, but if you can get your hands on a 30mm you should try it out to see if you like it. It could be an excellent complement to your 14mm, but it's really a question of what you enjoy shooting! :)

Real Name
Andrew L
I am leaning toward the 19mm, you might end up liking the focal length better than the 14mm, then again maybe not. The 30mm is close to my adapted 28mm, which is a fun longish normal, so if you are looking to truly augment rather than replace the 14mm, go with that.

battleaxe

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Besides wildlife what scenarios could the 45-150mm be used for during an urban vacation?

Is there a reason why the 45-150mm is so cheap now? Should I like look at the 14-45mm if I am doubting the 19mm or 30mm as not being flexible enough?

broody

Mu-43 Veteran
Besides wildlife what scenarios could the 45-150mm be used for during an urban vacation?
Plenty. While normal/wide lenses allow you to capture places in all their glory, a telephoto allows you to capture situations and moments. The combination of reach, good DoF, and perspective compression allows you to isolate a subject extremely well, which is fantastic for candid photography, portraits, and interesting details. I wouldn't take this lens indoors, but when you're outside and you're finished snapping the scenery with your 14mm, it's time for this lens. You'll be surprised!

Is there a reason why the 45-150mm is so cheap now? Should I like look at the 14-45mm if I am doubting the 19mm or 30mm as not being flexible enough?
The 45-150mm is so cheap because:
a) it's often offered as part of a 2-lens kit with Panasonic bodies, at a very low price already,
b) the above also makes it one of the most common telephoto zooms on the market. High availability is followed by an even lower price, and
c) Panasonic has many other similar zooms for sale, which compete directly with this lens and are regarded as higher end (in truth, other than the expensive 35-100mm, they aren't - the portability and IQ of the 45-150mm trumps the advantage of a bigger lens's longer end).

EDIT: I would also consider the 60mm Sigma. While you might think it's a little unwieldy to go around with just a 14mm and 60mm focal distances, they complement each other well. Also, this lens is on a league of its own as far as image quality is concerned, and the price is just *too* good. I also have a GF3, a 14mm and a 19mm, and in your position I wouldn't buy the 19mm. They're too close as focal lengths to be an interesting combination. I find myself taking one or the other, but never both together as the hassle isn't worth the minimal difference in creative possibilities...

jolieteddie

Mu-43 Rookie
I have the GF3 and GX1, which I use most of the time. I have both the Sigma 19 and 30, and have the 60 en route from Adorama.

I have been using the 19 and 30 the last couple of days shooting indoors, sans flash, in a museum. While the 19 has a nice angle of view, I find that the 30 performs better for me all around. Love shooting with it. I'm looking forward to the 60. These inexpensive lenses are decent primes at f2.8. I've been using them regularly in place of a wide-mid range zoom more and more even though it involves lens changing.

broody

Mu-43 Veteran
This talk has me re-thinking the 30mm, but the 45-150mm is also tempting based on what is being said. Does 45mm angle work well for the streets?
It does, only differently. Photos taken with longer-reaching lenses feel, ironically, more intimate with the subject. 45mm is Ming Thein's favorite focal length for street shooting (or one of his favorites, anyways), I recall reading. Whichever of these lenses you choose I think you will find quite satisfying, only in different ways.

flipmack

Mu-43 Veteran
I've had the 14, 19, and 30. I found the 14 to be too wide for daily use. The 30, though a wonderfully sharp lens, was just a tad too long. The 19 was perfect. I'd imagine that the 20/1.7 would be nice, but at the price that you can find the Sigma 19/2.8 for, it's a steal if you don't need compactness or that extra stop or so.

The 19 is 'glued' to my EPM1 and my recently-acquired GF1 will be 'glued' to my 7.5mm fisheye. I've found that I abhor changing lenses when out and about...

BTW - when I started using the 19 more, I effectively stopped using my 14 and 30.

Latest threads

Top Bottom