GAS hitted me! (Pen f involved)

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
Hi there.
Been running with a ep5 and a gx7 since two years ago. I have resisted gas pretty good during this years, but the lower prices of second hand pen f got me hurt a bit so I just bought and canceled an order for a mint pen f.
First I thought it would be great, but then I rethinked some things and this is my conclusions

1. Vf-4 is one huge bright thing, outshines the vf on pen f
2. Image quality seems almost the same.
3. Same bad battery power, almost same size and style.

So things went down into, build-in vf or not... And even there I thought ep5 had a some strong position with vf-4.

So, I guess I will wait for pen f ii...

Is there someone else there who is sticking with your ep5?

(my gx7 is just a second camera, I use it if I have forgot to charge my Olympus .. Why? It's silly but I don't feel like using it so much, kinda "lifeless" tech imo

IMG_20170713_000443_336.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

ron777

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi there.
Been running with a ep5 and a gx7 since two years ago. I have resisted gas pretty good during this years, but the lower prices of second hand pen f got me hurt a bit so I just bought and canceled an order for a mint pen f.
First I thought it would be great, but then I rethinked some things and this is my conclusions

1. Vf-4 is one huge bright thing, outshines the vf on pen f
2. Image quality seems almost the same.
3. Same bad battery power, almost same size and style.

So things went down into, build-in vf or not... And even there I thought ep5 had a some strong position with vf-4.

So, I guess I will wait for pen f ii...

Is there someone else there who is sticking with your ep5?

(my gx7 is just a second camera, I use it if I have forgot to charge my Olympus .. Why? It's silly but I don't feel like using it so much, kinda "lifeless" tech imo

View attachment 708228
1.The Pen F's EVF is integral to the camera body (no bulky addition required).
2. Pen F has a more pixel dense sensor that should provide better IQ than the EP 5.
3. The battery's duration could be better on both, but fortunately they are inexpensive enough for one to carry a few extras.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Have you tried the Pen F? I wondered how you knew about the EVF. Of course, the VF4 is a very good VF.

ron777

Mu-43 Rookie
Have you tried the Pen F? I wondered how you knew about the EVF. Of course, the VF4 is a very good VF.
Not sure which of the posts you were responding to, but in the event that it was mine, I own and use a Pen F, along with several other FF camera systems. It's a great little cam for discrete photos and those instances where the weight and bulk of a FF camera might be less than desirable.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Congratulations on staying the course, and not give in. There will be new cameras out after CES this year. That will bring down the prices of many current cameras, and used cameras.

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
I haven't tried out pen f yet. There's still a possibility for me to collect the camera, it's at the post office atm. But I don't know if I dare, that sweet mono knob may strike me :)
:)

But I have read alot about the viewfinders and if I should trust the internet the vf-4 is still better. But yes I get it, pen f has more things in its bag than that

spdavies

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stephen
I still own and use my EP5 with the VF4, even though I have several newer cameras, both Oly and Panasonic.
I have resisted buying a Pen-F, even though all the raving about it has tempted me.
I have other cameras with smallish viewfinders, like the GX85, so I've got that deficiency covered.
And I have a rangefinder with a stupid twist-out LCD, the GX8, so I have that inconvenience covered also.
Don't need the Pen-F to put them all together,
along with a lame external dedicated EC dial and an unnecessary and awkward front "creative" dial.
The Pen-F seems like it was designed by several committees that never met together,
all with different goals and customers in mind.
But it does look pretty!
All they had to do was build a good rangefinder-style EVF into the EP5 and update the innards,
and they would have made an excellent classic street camera. But no, had to get fancy. Sigh. :shakehead:

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
All they had to do was build a good rangefinder-style EVF into the EP5 and update the innards,
and they would have made an excellent classic street camera. But no, had to get fancy. Sigh. :shakehead:

You got it all! And I fully agree, Olympus listen up!

Real Name
Andrew L
I think there's an unnecessary amount of shade being cast on the Pen F here. I have handled one and it's a pretty nice camera. It has a better EVF than the GX cameras except for the (bulkier) GX8, has tremendous fit and finish, and seems to have found its way into the hands of a lot of people. I see a lot of non-M4/3 sources mentioning owning one. Perhaps it's a result of so many people getting Fuji-itis and going for the retro look above other considerations. Regardless, it's a very compact, hefty and full-featured camera. Not perfect, of course. And too expensive. But I could see getting one if the price ever falls enough to make it an impulse buy for me.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
I much prefer an integrated EVF. I can't use a long lens or shoot fast sports/action/kids using the screen on the back of the camera, too clumsy. And the rear screen on all my cameras have been close to useless when out in the bright sun, especially when trying to determine how well the shot was, too much glare off the screen.

I looked at the Nikon 1, V3, but the EVF was an 'add on' device, not integrated into the camera. To me that was clumsy and just asking to be damaged. I much preferred the integrated EVF on the V2.

Real Name
Andrew L
One of the design features I appreciate the most on the Pen F is that the swivel screen has a great surface texture that's as high quality as that on the body when you flip it on itself. Like the designers expected you to use it with the LCD hidden.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
I own a E-P5 but hardly use it now [mine has broken down a few times] I would love a pen f, I have looked at one a few times. The EVF is not as good as the VF4 but I would also like to be able to use a flash and for macro with my eye sight I cant use the rear screen. I could trigger an off camera flash I suppose but dont really want to.
To me the only thing stopping me from getting one is the funds.

It also seems to be one of Olympus's most reliable cameras. Hardly see any complaints about this model.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The old E-P5 was made before Olympus cameras automatically corrected CA.
The Pen-F gives much better results with lenses like the 9-18 that have a lot of CA, it eliminates it.
(Of course you can do it in PP if you have the tools and the time.)
I sold my old E-P5 and the Pen-F is much better. The viewfinder works very well.
Go for it.

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
No, there will be no pen f or no other camera aswell. It's a nice thing to resist the ongoing madness to change gear every year or so. I stick to the guns until they brake.

I actually brought back my gx7 from the shelf and re read the manual and learned it better, It strucked me that I actually like the jpeg from that one, more natural and Canon like than Olympus. I may go with the gx7 for a good while. But thnx for all replies!

Last edited:

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
spDavies' half-humorous post had me nodding.
I wish the Pen-F had come out with the front knob more functional and the EVF tilting,
if fact I would own one now if they had made that camera.
*sigh*
I have to put up with the add-on VF-4 and VF-2 ... which I consider awesomely good actually.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think the pen f is one of the best looking cameras ever made. Classic good looks. One day, when I have the funds I will own one. So many great little lenses Togo with it too.

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
Not even close. Pen F is unique. The built in EVF actually works fine. I compare it to the EM1-II,not the Ep -7. You only get 1/4000 sec,16 megapixels. The F-1 controls are unique . They may drive you insane. I would get the EM-1 II. ,but you can get the same quality pictures with the F-1

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
I have resisted buying a Pen-F, even though all the raving about it has tempted me.

I never read raving reviews, or indeed raving posts.

I'll update my gear when:
  • it breaks
  • I feel limited by it
so far neither has occurred with my Panasonic bodies, but I have done some gear re-arrangements...

For some photography is about owing gear (and justify it by taking some shots), for others its about taking photographs (and facilitate that with equipment needed). Sure there's some range in that spectra but I'm of the view that its more polarised than people are willing to admit

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Not sure which of the posts you were responding to, but in the event that it was mine, I own and use a Pen F, along with several other FF camera systems. It's a great little cam for discrete photos and those instances where the weight and bulk of a FF camera might be less than desirable.
I was wondering about the OP since he was thinking of getting a Pen F while comparing the F’s EVF to the VF4.

Latest threads

Top Bottom