GAS hitted me! (Pen f involved)

Real Name
Chris
I picked up a pen-f and am happy with the viewfinder. I was not expecting to like the Vf based on negative comments and was pleasantly surprised.

AllanG

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Allan
Never regretted getting my Pen F. Its my travel camera with the P14-140mm lens.
It just does the job without getting in the way - it looks and feels like my old Leica III

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
I was wondering about the OP since he was thinking of getting a Pen F while comparing the F’s EVF to the VF4.
That's why I haven't chimed in, the EP -5 and VF-4 are a combo that I love but never having handled a Pen F , but I still follow post like this one .

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
The viewfinder was just one thing among others. The main issue was the gear acquisition thing, the itch to swap gear just for the sake of swapping. I think there is a risk that this train never ends if you don't fight it, there are alot of us that go from new body to new system, back to compact lx100 to canon, to sony and finally back to m4/3 again. The question we flee from is, are the photos we make good enough? I can only speak for myself and I think they are, I have zero reason to change gear

Took this one with my gx7 and o45 today for example. Would pen f made it better? Maybe one or two percent :)

IMG_20190106_201437_065.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

MarylandUSA

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul Franklin Stregevsky
In the Hot Deals forum, a guy in my state is selling a Pen F for the best price I've ever seen: $540. I was tempted, but I'm left-eyed, so the EVF wouldn't work for me. Plus, $540 is about twice what I've ever spent for a camera or camera body.

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
In the Hot Deals forum, a guy in my state is selling a Pen F for the best price I've ever seen: $540. I was tempted, but I'm left-eyed, so the EVF wouldn't work for me. Plus, $540 is about twice what I've ever spent for a camera or camera body.
yeah that was almost the same price as I was offered here in scandinavia. But there are many holes where that money could be placed better.

I get if people buy new stuff all the time if money isnt a big thing, but the thing is, their behaviour seems to affect people like me, that have a limited budget. it takes some will power and "grown-up-ness" to resist that urge. To be satisfied with current gear. a zen like way of living.

maybe the greatest cure of all is to start making more photos with the cameras you already have.. :)

Last edited:

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
Just wanted to share my new sugru grip for my ep5, I think it looks OK, and turns the feeling of the camera more into gx7 ergonomics, which is great!
The pen f urge is gone by the wind :)
8890135-01.jpeg

MarylandUSA

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul Franklin Stregevsky
Just wanted to share my new sugru grip for my ep5, I think it looks OK, and turns the feeling of the camera more into gx7 ergonomics, which is great!
The pen f urge is gone by the wind :)
View attachment 710290
Looks great! I have a 3D printed grip on my first ep 5, which I bought online from Japan two years ago. But that seller no longer makes the e-p5 grip, and I could use another...for my second (whitea0 E-P5. I should try Sugru. I'll use your photo as a model.

Last edited:

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
Looks great! I have a 3D printed grip on my first ep 5, which I bought online from Japan two years ago. But that selker no longer makes the e-p5 grip, and I could use another. I should try Sugru. I'll use your photo as a model.

Thanks. I used two packs of 5gram sugru. I just build up the form style of the existing grip, good luck,

ron777

Mu-43 Rookie
I own and use, among other systems, a Pen F. I have read, on the Olympus rumors site, that there is a Pen F II being prepared for announcement and or release in the not too distant future. The site listed the assumed general features that suggest improved IS and AF, along with a 20MP sensor (old or new, who knows). And all that sounds interesting, but hardly exciting. That said, if I had to pick one feature that definitely requires some remedial attention, it would not be the EVF, which I find more than adequate but, rather, SD card access, which for anyone with an average sized hand and fingers has to be an issue. Personally, I have resorted to a small pair of tweezers to accomplish the task of removal, but more convenient suggestions would be appreciated.

ata3001

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ron
I have owned a black Pen F for about 6 months & am also left eyed. I have absolutely no issues using the EVF. I do have the screen "touch" turned off, but never had it on any other camera anyways, so no big deal. I came from FF Nikons & a Nikon D500. I used Leica M3 & M6 film cameras for many years & this is the closest thing to them. A few recent pics.
P8270149-149August 27, 2018Ron Snyder copy.jpg
_1070109-24January 07, 2019 copy.jpg
_1190024-24January 19, 2019 copy.jpg

MarylandUSA

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul Franklin Stregevsky
How did it go with your sugru grip?
Beautifully! I've been waiting for my white BCL-0908 lens to arrive so I can show the white camera, white Sugru, and white lens. Maybe I'll get a photo before then.
And now I have 15 grams of black Sugru for that black camera in my future.

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
I own and use, among other systems, a Pen F. I have read, on the Olympus rumors site, that there is a Pen F II being prepared for announcement and or release in the not too distant future. The site listed the assumed general features that suggest improved IS and AF, along with a 20MP sensor (old or new, who knows). And all that sounds interesting, but hardly exciting. That said, if I had to pick one feature that definitely requires some remedial attention, it would not be the EVF, which I find more than adequate but, rather, SD card access, which for anyone with an average sized hand and fingers has to be an issue. Personally, I have resorted to a small pair of tweezers to accomplish the task of removal, but more convenient suggestions would be appreciated.
The pen F already has 20 mp sensor. The card used to stick with some cards but now clicks in and out pretty easily.with a finger. If you put on a grip,which to me adds little,,the card problem gets a little harder. I thought the small EVF would be a problem ,but I can use it,especially if you peer over your glasses. The one thing I don't like as compared to the EM1 ii are the focal boxes,which are thin and show limited adjustment in configuration. Carrying around a big lens is harder with the Pen-f. The Art wheel is unique and the other controls are one of a kind. I find them confusing. At times you have three wheel type controls that do the same thing,then they do do something completely different because you accidentally pushed another button,so have fun. I do.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
The pen F already has 20 mp sensor. The card used to stick with some cards but now clicks in and out pretty easily.with a finger. If you put on a grip,which to me adds little,,the card problem gets a little harder. I thought the small EVF would be a problem ,but I can use it,especially if you peer over your glasses. The one thing I don't like as compared to the EM1 ii are the focal boxes,which are thin and show limited adjustment in configuration. Carrying around a big lens is harder with the Pen-f. The Art wheel is unique and the other controls are one of a kind. I find them confusing. At times you have three wheel type controls that do the same thing,then they do do something completely different because you accidentally pushed another button,so have fun. I do.

Enjoy your "fun". Do some people....................sadly most people...................ever appreciate that most "classic" images were created using (by today's standards) crap "technology"? FFS why does the emphasis always seem to be on GAS? The Pen F has 20mp as opposed to 16mp? What the feck does that matter?
I've switched to m43............so what?............my best images are still full frame and apsc because my focus/emphasis was on the image and not on the limitations of the gear I was using to get those images. The gear suited my aspirations at that time. m43 is inferior.........end of.........despite what owners of the system may feel that they need to assert with regards to their choice, and direct us to urls of "acknowledged" photographers using the system (who invariably have low res images on their site to support their choice). The value of m43 is size/weight, nothing more, nothing less................get over it!

FFS folks..................get real.......................(todays) m43 bears no comparison (at 100% viewing on a computer) to todays apsc or full frame at same viewing ratio.............so get real and forget about what a Pen F can offer over over another m43camera.................creative dial?...................WTF is that about? I thought the photographer should have been creative not the tool? I bought into the PenF for it's size/ergonomics............if I thought I had to rely on it for "creativity" than in a moment of sobriety, I'd realise it was time to give up on photography. If you want to invest for the 20mp as opposed to 16mp...........then good luck on spending the extra bucks if you're only showing your images online. I'll be honest..................I'm a whore lover................I bought it for it's looks and feel

PS Kraken spiced rum is the flavour of today :)

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
Enjoy your "fun". Do some people....................sadly most people...................ever appreciate that most "classic" images were created using (by today's standards) crap "technology"? FFS why does the emphasis always seem to be on GAS? The Pen F has 20mp as opposed to 16mp? What the feck does that matter?
I've switched to m43.....

PS Kraken spiced rum is the flavour of today :)
Cheers! Enjoy the day.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Pen-F is a very nice carry-around camera. Doesn't bang into me like a heavy DSLR-type does, nor does it draw as much attention either.

It was my first Olympus body and it led the way to the E-M1 Mark II as a second. I bought the manual focus Laowa 7.5mm f/2 lightweight model lens to fit a m43 drone camera, but it resides more on the Pen-F now.

I used it to shoot a bike trail sunset in a town which gave me a first place sunset award with it out of 1,600 prints entered. I printed it myself on some super-glossy Pictorico white film with a dye ink printer to pop the colors and it must have "Wowed!" the three judges. At least the town's Chamber of Commerce director liked it and hung it in the town I took it in.

Bike Trail Sunset - 2018 1st Place.jpg

Better image link is here in the "Showcase Laowa 7.5mm f/2" lens thread: Showcase - Laowa 7.5mm f/2

Latest threads

Top Bottom