GAS Attack...

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well, it's that period of the year (you know the one, winter sales...), and there's a clearance on the E-M10 mk II at a fair price of ~ 300 € brand new with the 14-42 IIR. The brain says no, it's now an old camera, the heart says yes as I regret so much selling mine, plus I have a gift card of 150 € from Xmas that's burning my fingers.
Would you buy that camera new today ?
Please schedule an intervention...

M.

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime Silva
Well, it's that period of the year (you know the one, winter sales...), and there's a clearance on the E-M10 mk II at a fair price of ~ 300 € brand new with the 14-42 IIR. The brain says no, it's now an old camera, the heart says yes as I regret so much selling mine, plus I have a gift card of 150 € from Xmas that's burning my fingers.
Would you buy that camera new today ?
Please schedule an intervention...

M.

I still use my E-M10 mk II and love that camera. Better than the feature striped down mk III.
It's a nice small camera to take for a hike or on holidays.
With the gift card it will be a 150€ purchase. Not a big hole on the wallet.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have the EM10-mk2 as my small brother to the EM1. And I use it, when I don't want to carry the bulk of the EM1, like going out to dinner and family events.
Based on the specs of the mk3 and playing with one, I prefer the mk2. I miss some of the stuff that Olympus removed for the mk3.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
EM10.2 is Olympus’s finest budget m43 camera. At €150 I’d go for it, but not at €300. I’d also dump the 14-42R as soon as you can - it‘s a pretty unspectacular kit lens.
Yes taking into consideration the exchange rate it is more expensive than mine when I purchased it.

But I have noticed in the few shops that I frequent that still have them the price has not come down. I think shop owners know they will move them at the high price as those that want that model will pay for it since there is no real replacement if you want all the features of the Mk2

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
EM10.2 is Olympus’s finest budget m43 camera. At €150 I’d go for it, but not at €300. I’d also dump the 14-42R as soon as you can - it‘s a pretty unspectacular kit lens.
In fact, I surveyed most 2nd hand sites and 300 € is the rate for a used model in good condition. It often commands a higher price than the mk III (and for a good reason, let's be honest). And I hadn't seen one new below 500 € until now. Hence my interest, but I also agree that as a rule of thumb Olympus gear is on the expensive side of the scale.
M.

Honestly a brand new E-M10 Mark II for essentially 150€ in my opinion sounds like a no brainer. However: Is there a chance you'd use your 150€ coupon for something else in the near future? Can you actually use the E-M10 or is it more like sitting on a shelf?.... oh you got me there with my second Pen-F which is mostly sitting on my shelf too.:whistling:
The second iteration of the E-M10 line, while I haven't owned one, still is hold dearly among MFT users and many consider it the finest budget friendly, amateur camera Olympus has produced for the system. Mark III has been dumbed down in terms of firmware features and while the Mark IV sports the 20 MP sensor, newer image processor and Olympus has restored some of the former firmware functions, it still seems not to be as sophisticated as the Mark II.

In my opinion, if you don't mind the (proven) 16 MP sensor and the (also proven) Truepix VII, there is little reason against this camera. The EVF in my opinion is still good, same as the one used in the Pen-F. By the way I did a quick check on MPB and they actually have an E-M10 Mk II in "excellent" (second best) condition listed for 234€, so a "like new" condition would most likely be around 260-270€.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Welp, it was nice to entertain the idea, but I went back to the retailer today, and they realised they had misplaced the box with the accessories and couldn't find them. :dash2: In short, after a bit of talking, they were willing to sell the naked body for about 150 €. No charger, batteries, nothing. I passed. (I have no doubt about the seller, it's a reputable chain and they were as pissed as I was to miss the sale).:doh:
Out of frustration, I ended up buying a PC Envy 13" x360 laptop, powered by a Ryzen 7 to replace my old original x360.:D
M.

turbodieselvw

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Life is too short. If you can afford it go ahead and buy it. and if the dealer calls and tells you that they’ve found the box, go for it.

scb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
At that price, I would! If the camera meets your needs and you enjoy using it, why not? The E M10 Mark I was the first camera body that I really fell in love with, and I still have the E M10 Mark II that I use along with the E M5 Mark II. I'm thinking about getting the E M1 Mark II at some point, but if I do, I really don't think I want to sell the E M10 Mark II as it is the camera (along with E M10) that I learned the most about photography. Sure, it has it's limitations, but put a good piece of glass on it and it will take wonderful photos.

jameskuzman

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Jim Kuzman
The Mark II was, by my own subjective opinion and criteria, the best E-M10 body hands down. The Mark III was a significant step back in every way that mattered to me, so if I was in the market for a 10 and found a new Mark II, I'd snag it, box or not.

Jim

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Yes, I also use the E-M10.2 along with my E-M5.3, so I'd say buy it for that price. Especially since you said:
the heart says yes as I regret so much selling mine

Does buying that camera solve some photographic problem that you have?
@oldracer , you've been on this forum long enough to know the meaning of the word GAS (the first word in the topic of this thread). It's the exact opposite of solving a photographic problem, as far as I know. ;)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom