GAS Attack. Sigh.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Fmrvette, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    After three days of hemming and hawing I pulled the trigger on the 45mm Olympus prime (in black).

Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.8 Lens (Black) V311030BU000

"Saved" fifty bucks...by spending $350.

However I did save an additional $239...by not buying the Sigma 60mm at the same time :biggrin:.

I was sorely disappointed in some of the results I got using the 12-50mm lens a few days ago and after looking at the data most of the disappointments came from the lens at 50mm.

I have the Nikon 'nifty fifty' with an adapter, but even with the faux focus peaking enabled on the OM-D I have difficulty getting the focus nailed using that lens.

With the Panasonic 14mm and 20mm along with the new Olympus 45mm I'm hoping to be able to retire the Nikon and reduce the usage of the 12-50mm kit lens to occasional usage. (I don't often need the 12mm end and I get good results from the Panny 14mm).

I gotta quit hanging out around here, it's starting to cost me money...

Now...about that Sigma 60...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

2. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

I have a cure for your GAS! Now just hand over all your money...:biggrin:

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Gas attack??? Whats it??? It doesn't exist. You only buy what you need...for that moment:biggrin:
    It's not your fault if the next moment you need something else....:rolleyes:

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    The 45 is a stunning lens that really is under rated becuase of it's build material but the results shout "quality".

No need to feel guilty and please feel free to get the 12mm and send it to me, it may just ease your conscience!!!

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Why did you wait so long to get the 45mm? It's a "must-have" m4/3 lens in my book.

Now, have you checked out the images taken with the 75mm? :biggrin:

6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Jim ...
    This is not GAS .. This is GRASS... Genuine Rationilised Sensible Spending :wink::wink::wink::2thumbs::2thumbs:
    Oly 45 mm 1.8 is the Best lens of digital era when it comes to its cost and output. It puts many big brothers to shame and in my opinion it's a must have lens for everything MFT shooter unless u hate this FL.Enjoy ur toy and show us some pics please :smile:
    Cheers

7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    GRASS?? Only animals eat it. I should tell this to my wife when I spend money on gear: "It's ony GRASS, oh! sorry I mean vegetables, very tasty with salt, lemon and oil.":biggrin:

8. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    By the way today I'm having GRASS on practise: I'm getting a Nikon 75-150 E series zoom (I have nearly all the E series bunch; very underrrated lenses!).

In fact I could have got the very more expensive 24-70:biggrin:
    Yes, I'm happy with GRASS:thumbup:

9. NikkoExiledInSF

NikkoExiledInSF Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    +1

That 45mm you just bought? A mere stepping stone to the 75mm :biggrin:

10. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I waited on the 45mm because I wasn't positive until recently that the 12-50mm kit zoom just wasn't going to "talk" to me. I've tried, with the :43: gear, to limit purchases to those things which will improve my photography.

With the disappointment I felt with the zoom lens during a recent shoot, and with the $50 instant rebate on the 45mm, it seemed to a good time to make the move.

The 12mm prime isn't at the top of my 'want list' because I'm quite satisfied with the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5. Of course I don't shoot macro very often and don't often need the 12mm end of the spectrum. That being the case the much less expensive 14mm is "good enough".

The 75mm is beyond the reach of my checkbook. I've already overspent my 2013 photography budget :eek: with the recent acquisitions of the FL-600R flash, the Sigma 30mm and now the Olympus 45mm. Unless I come into a sudden cash windfall the 75mm will have to wait until 2014 or 2015. In the interim I've got the Olympus 40-150mm which seems to be better than I had anticipated on the OM-D body.

The 45mm will join my small stable of primes (the Rokinon 7.5mm, the Panasonic 14mm and 20mm lenses, and the Sigma 30mm); if the Sigma 60mm continues to get good reviews I may add that later on.

Changing lenses is a trudge, and sometimes results in shots being missed while in the process, but it is not as much of a problem for me as losing confidence in a lens, as I have with the 12-50mm zoom.

It helps that the 14mm, 20mm and 45mm weigh altogether a mere 270 grams, or 9.5 ounces (not including lens hoods). :2thumbs: It also helps that I'm not concerned with weather sealing (although it's a nice perk) or macro capability or even manual focusing. YMMV.

Now...all I have to do is be patient for "up to six business days" for B&H to deliver. And, of course, I ordered the night before a holiday so FedEx/UPS/USPS won't be picking up anything today from B&H. :dash2:

Thanks for everyone's encouragement (both as to the 45mm acquisition and to the willingness of everyone to help empty my wallet :biggrin:).

Regards,

Jim

11. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I've always been interested in the 45mm, but whenever I get the itch to buy it I just put my OM 50mm f/1.4 on the camera and it goes away.

12. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Unfortunately the only 50mm I have laying around the Swamp is the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D lens. If the OMD had true focus peaking it might work for me, but the work-around hasn't been massively successful for me. I had great hopes, but testing has proven otherwise.

I should donate that 50mm and Fotodiox adapter to a worthy, starving student who has better eyes, steadier hands, and more patience than I...:biggrin:

B&H sent a "shipped" notice for the 45mm, but on a holiday that just means the lens has been packaged and labeled and awaiting the truck tomorrow.

Must be a comfort to have an f/1.4 in the bag, available on call...:thumbup:

Regards,

Jim

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I got the 45mm a few days after a particularly fruitless session with my manual-focus prime 45.
    I'm happy I did, but I hate shelling out proper money for new stuff ...

It turns out this mZuiko 45mm is better than everyone else's 50-ish AF lenses, so good job Olympus!

14. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    GAS is dangerous, I tried the 75mm the other day... very tempting... lucky for me my girlfriend is managing to contain my GAS... for now! :biggrin:

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You'll like the 45. :smile:
    I neglected mine for a while thinking the 75 the boss but sometimes, that 75 is just too much :smile:

16. corns5

corns5 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2013
    Florida
    Carol
    I also went overboard and got the 45 from B&H just last night. And I have just gotten this system with 4 lenses....love it! Sold Nikon gear for gas...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

17. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Ah, thanks gang! :2thumbs:

You're making me feel much better about the Spending Of The Dollars.

Also I'm feeling pretty good about getting away from zoom lenses; I'm an old SLR prime shooter at heart.

The 40-150mm and 45-200mm will remain in the kit, I don't have the funds available at present to get the 75mm or the 100-300mm.

But getting back to that Sigma 60mm...:biggrin:.

Only "six business days" until Christmas.

Regards,

Jim