1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GAS and how to avoid it

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by peterpix, Jul 17, 2013.

1. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    I'll have to admit to having a certain amount of GAS. And it seems to be endemic on this website. How many threads go on and on about "should I sell my 25 1.4 and get the 17 1.8," or "should I sell my EM-5 and get a Fuji or a GH3," or "should I buy lens x to take a trip, " or " should I sell my primes and get a zoom or visa versa," and on and on.

While I'd love to get the 35-100 Panni zoom, I recall that I had a Canon 70-200 f4 IS for several years and NEVER used it! Anyway, here's a blog post about GAS, from DPreview:

Letting go of the camera: The action steps I took to break free from gear addiction - Olivier "F8" Duong | Documentary & Street Photography

2. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    There's already a thread about this superb article in the Watering Hole forum. But in truth, that thread should be moved to this forum.

3. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Thanks, hadn't noticed the other thread.

4. RajC

RajC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    GAS is what keeps this forum from being really good. As was mentioned, there is too much whining about wanting this or that. It seems like there are many posters who have some issues they think can be filled by using their credit card. They should be spending money on counseling!
    GAS is the bane of photography
    It's why:
    - I seldom read the posts about gear, unless it's something I'm considering buying.
    - I don't list my modest equipment list in my posts.
    - I don't belong to any photo clubs. The few that I've attended at just circle ----s about gear, where people with full-blown GAS think that's a good thing.

5. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron

6. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Sorry, but I'm actually with him on this.
    Common misconception. Unless you are a professional who can work more effectively with certain lenses, and bodies, you do not have "gear needs". GAS in my opinion for many is a motivator to actually stick to a proficiency instead of switching to something else when internal motivation has worn off, and it actually takes practice, and time to get better.
    And that's true for and can be observed with ANY skill that requires gear/tools :wink:

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Nothing wrong with a bit of gas. Gets rid of bloat.

This forum is gear centric. Serious compacts is more image driven. Try that.

Gordon

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I think that it is also the nature of the beast. Sometimes people ask gear questions because they will be spending limited funds on a piece of equipment (perhaps as a special purchase), and want opinions before they make a final decision. Not everybody is up to date on what gear is or is not recommended, so what better place to ask about gear than in a forum for owners of that gear? Will buying a new piece of equipment make somebody a better photographer? Most of the time I would say not really, but this is a hobby for a large majority of forum members, so I just assume there will be gear questions. Thankfully, there are also image threads, and discussion about technique, so I pick and choose accordingly.

--Ken

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas