GAS, again

Alf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Everybody knows that feeling, when everything can be cured by the sudden acquisition of that sweet, sweet new hardware....

Here we are: I'm still shooting with my Mesozoic black E-PL3, mostly with the 20/1,7 mkI and sometimes with the 45oly,7.5samyang, and 1442 oly trimurti.
Once a year I borrow the 40-150R and head east.
This time, it's going to be different.

The contenders:

E-PM2 off eBay, cheap and fast. Has IS and can use my vf3, but the cheap on is red.

GM1 with 12-32. Fast shutter speed and fast focus for the 20mm

E-M10 body only. New, fast, has evf, and I hate handling it. It costs as much as the GM1

GX7! Appears for 100eur more than the Em10/gm1, and with a 1442ois I won't use. But has evf,is and cuteness.

What to do?

broody

Mu-43 Veteran
Can you get to a store to try out some of the bodies? Sounds like you need to make it clearer what you need other than just a new sensor. If you're reliant on an EVF, that crosses off the GM1, if you want reasonably fast focusing with the 20mm, you should go with Panasonic. However, affinity for Oly or Lumix control layouts and ergonomics is a highly personal issue...

Art

Mu-43 All-Pro
E-M10 completely cured GAS for me. Disregard IBIS in E-PM2, it induces shutter shock and not very effective. E-M10: excellent IBIS, much better build, great evf, flash. I find P20 AF speed is inadequate with Oly bodies especially in low light. I sold the lens and bought PL25 which is way faster. Allegedly, Panasonic bodies focus faster with P20. If that's the case, GM1/P20 might be an interesting lightweight combo if you don't need flexibility or flash. But then why not just get RX100 mkIII for even smaller size and more flexibility? To me, m43 system is all about flexibility: lenses and flashes in particular. This makes the system usable for travel, low light, creativity, video, etc.

sphexx

Mu-43 Regular
GX7 body is only €25 more than the EM10 in UK currently (with 2 year Panasonic warranty promotion).
Panasonic official refurb bodies are £429 and seem to be in plentiful supply at their refurb outlet so I suspect they may be just new cameras that are surplus -- they only ship to UK.
I thought I would get an OLYMPUS EPM10 but also did not like handling it so got GX7.

sushi

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Syukri
I second the E-PL7 suggestion! Exactly the same spec as E-M10 but cheaper and you'll still be able to use your VF3

sushi

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Syukri
And imagine the selfies you'll be able to take with the E-PL7 and 7.5mm combo lol

hemuni

Mu-43 Regular
I'd go for the gx7 (in fact I just did). I had the gm1, but didn't like the pocket camera feel of the body. I prefer the menues in my ep5, but shuttershock, missing evf and bad video made me get the gx7 and I'm very happy I did. The ibis is much better than I thought it would be, just as good as ep5 in my experience, so far. Personally I'm not getting another oly body until they fix the shutter shock issue and improve video.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle

sushi

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Syukri
I'd go for the gx7 (in fact I just did). I had the gm1, but didn't like the pocket camera feel of the body. I prefer the menues in my ep5, but shuttershock, missing evf and bad video made me get the gx7 and I'm very happy I did. The ibis is much better than I thought it would be, just as good as ep5 in my experience, so far. Personally I'm not getting another oly body until they fix the shutter shock issue and improve video.

Pretty sure they fixed the shutter shock with the newer models (E-P5/E-M1 onwards). Probably not so much improvements on the video though :redface:

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Get an E-M1, MMM3 adapter and a 14-35mm f2 lens. It will cure your GAS and put a restraining order on your bank account. Win, win every which way.:biggrin:

MrDoug

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I visited 2 camera stores in Portland, Oregon and they both said it's hard to keep the GM1 on the shelf.. Very HOT seller FWIW. Same sensor as GX7 in a smaller body.. People like small now days.. out selling GX7 so they say...

Timmy

Mu-43 Regular
What to do?

I've got the almost same kit as you and considering a newer sensor. Tough decision! I think the PL7 looks like an excellent buy (especially as I already have the VF2). The new GM5 looks intriguing, I guess it'll still be too small for comfort.

Other than that all comes down to handling and trying stuff in camera shops, if I get a long lens in the future the EM10 would make more sense.

Latest threads

Top Bottom