1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GAS a symptom or a syndrome?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by davidedric, Mar 12, 2014.

1. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Having only recently dipped a toe in the m4/3 world, it seems to me that GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is unusually prevalent.

So my question is : Are photographers afflicted by GAS attracted to m4/3, or is GAS a side effect of m4/3 possession?

:smile:

Dave

2. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I think GAS is in the online forums like here as Sigma CEO put it in dpreview interview:
    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/24...have-survived-because-we-make-unique-products

We are a small minority in the overall market...

3. mrerics

mrerics Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    US
    Eric
    I think maybe it's because m4/3 is still a very dynamic platform. There are lots of newcomers for whom GAS is easy to catch when changing systems (I count myself among them). And even for those who have been with m4/3 for several years, genuinely exciting new lenses and cameras are coming out at relatively fast pace compared to more mature systems like Canon/Nikon or somewhat neglected systems like Sony NEX (err, Alpha :rolleyes:).

• Like Like x 1
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob

• Like Like x 2
  5. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Check out these trick brake calipers and the uprated shocks. Tyres are 19" low-profile and the wheels are faceted chrome.

I got these lures/flies 'cos they're said to be killer - just had to get the whole set. This monofilament line is rated at 600lbs breaking strain but is virtually invisible underwater.

How much do they weigh? Well, they're only a couple of ounces each but they fold up nicely and do the job. This one's four seasons and breathable with a built-in jacuzzi...

I could go on but I think you folks get my point; we're not susceptible to GAS because we're proponents of m4/3. We're susceptible to GAS because we're humans. Besides, two flint-tipped spears are better than one (especially since this one has a pretty trick leather binding). :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Dunno about those 2 choices - but I've got to put some in my vehicle tonight...:biggrin:

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's just as bad, if not worse, in the Canon forums. What I never really understood were the folks who traded up and into each new DSLR body, but still had the cheaper lenses. Never really made sense to me, particularly over the past few years where sensor tech has not really made any major improvements (case in point the D800E/Sony A7r sensor, now several years old, currently still pretty much state of the art. Or the 16MP MFT sensors - there's been a slight improvement after the E-M5, maybe, with the GH4, but it's not groundbreaking. Or any of Canon's sensors since the 5DII and 7D.)

I mean, I'm pretty bad. I'm actually paring down, and seriously considering getting rid of a few more lenses (mostly legacy, since I don't use them quite enough). At my very worst, I had 4 canon L zooms, 2 canon L primes, a macro, a fisheye, the nifty-fifty, sigma's 50/1.4, and that ignores the legacy glass. By comparison I'm almost sedate with the MFT gear :)

8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I had more Nikon lenses (in the Nikon world it's "N.A.S." - Nikon Acquisition Syndrome) than I have in M4/3, but will concede that there a couple of M4/3 lenses that don't get off of the shelf. I must be too conventional - I do have an O-MD :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Simple answer - to each their own. :smile:
    For the most part, I pretty much shoot non-AI, AI, & AI-s on my Df - I guess that puts me in the 'weird' group too...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jason C

Jason C Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2014
    SoCal
    Who cares. Really. I could care less if Joe Schmo has to buy the latest gear, or the perceived greatest gear. More power to him/her.

G.A.S. in neither a SYMPTOM nor a SYNDROME...it's a choice.

Jason

• Like Like x 1