1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Gary Fong Puffer Now Available for Micro Four Thirds

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, May 18, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm always excited to see third-party support for our Micro 4/3 system and pleased to share the announcement that Gary Fong has launched a version of their Puffer for Micro Four Thirds cameras.

The Puffer, which mounts via the hot shoe and places a flash diffuser in front of the pop-up flash, is designed to soften the quality of light coming from the on-board flash.

IMG_206697.

More info at www.garyfong.com

• Like Like x 4
  2. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    anybody use one of these? the sample pictures are nice....

3. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    very nice, I would like to try this, would be awesome if it tilts when you want to use the flash as a bounce flash!

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've used it SLRs to good effect. It weakens the flash range, but the quality of light is much less harsh. Definitely handy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    sounds nice, but then I couldn't use my electronic viewfinder on the GF-1

:(

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I hadn't even thought of that. Good point!

7. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Why is this new news? I've had mine for the E-pl1 since December. It does obstruct the flash opening up on the E-PL2, but all you have to do is open the flash, then attach the puffer

8. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    do you have any photos taken with it joe?

9. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Hmmm... was able to buy a generic pop-up flash diffuser that would fit my GH2 locally at a much lower price - 300 Philippine pesos (or roughly US$7) for three pieces (one white one, one yellow one for a warm effect, and one blue one for a cool effect)... This one that I got is supposed to fit almost any camera with a hotshoe (but I guess the pop-up flash will have to be where the hotshoe is as well)... I wonder if the output's the same?

Here's the link to one of the local eBay sellers in my area:

eBay.ph: Brandnew Pop Up Flash Diffuser (3 color set) (item 250821850136 end time May 23, 2011 11:17:28 PHT)

10. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Unfortunately for Gary Fong most if his gear has been copied.

11. GingerCat

GingerCat Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2011
    Good idea, but it's surely possible to rig up some sort of alternative with greaseproof paper? I stuck sample theatre lighting gels on my flash before, I like to improvise : )

12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Am I wrong to think it won't work on gf1....my camera is not in front of me, but isn't the flash off to the side? Or does this thing swivel or shift?

13. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
  14. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    This new version is, I think, only for the bodies that have the off-center flash. If you've got a traditional centered flash (like my GH2) then you should get the generic version for pop-up flash.

15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    There's so much ambient light in those outdoor sample photos it's no wonder we don't see a difference. I'd love to see some traditional indoor shots in poorly lit living rooms (where flashes REALLY wreak havoc)

16. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Looks great. Item $22, shipping to the UK at least $30. Maybe not...
    :frown:

17. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Great I didn't know. I'm gonna order one :^)

18. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Caveat emptor, The puffer is a bitt puffed up!!!!!

Different strokes for different folks is very true. I tried the Gary Fonf Puffer and I find this to be highly overrated and extremely cumbersome to use and store. The build quality is adequate if you are careful when shooting. However, the puffer sucks up what little light you have on the pop=up flash, it contours significantly the color temperature and it really only does a mediocre job of diffusing harsh shadows.

You might want to try a small piece of Rosco or equal diffusion material or form this into a pop-on flash cap a bit of tape. Also, if you can find one of the old translucent Ilford 35mm cartridge cans, just cut a longitudinal slot in this and slip it over the pop-up flash. Both methods work well, save money and pack more compactly than the Gary Fong Puffer.

Best regards,
    Tom

• Like Like x 2
  19. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    • Like Like x 2
  20. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

Kodak and X-Acto

I did exactly the same as Ron for my E-PL1. Works fine.