Review Gariz Soft Release Buttons

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I've been thinking about ordering these, but the button looks to add some protrusion to the whole package. I think my E-PL2 would be ok but I think my E-P1 might snag on it pulling it in and out of a bag.

Amin, does it feel pretty secure?

mister_roboto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dennis
The one on my E-P2 it feels pretty secure. I've never had it pop off before. I too thought it would from being thrown in a bag and all, and moving around loose in a bag- but it's never budged.

I don't know how clean it would come off though ;) but the adhesive seems pretty strong to keep the thing from being knocked off.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisraines/6238619795/" title="E-P2 with Gariz soft shutter button by Dennis Raines, on Flickr">
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"500" height="375" alt="E-P2 with Gariz soft shutter button"></a>

JJJPhoto

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jerry Jackson Jr
I use these on my Pen cameras as well, although I've got the black ones on my E-P3 and E-PL1s and the red one on my E-PL1.

Spaceghost33

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Christopher Stelter
Went back to them

OK, you guys did it. You convinced me to try the buttons again. I put the black one on my GF1 and used it this past weekend. I guess I DO like it. Maybe the black one works better than the red one I tried before. :rofl:

Dede

Mu-43 Regular
Has anyone tried the silver and gold buttons yet? If yes, how are they?

Thanks in advance

Gwendal

Mu-43 Veteran
Has anyone tried the silver and gold buttons yet? If yes, how are they?

Thanks in advance
Silver one here, I've had it on my EP1 for months without any problems... Takes a little getting used to, but does help with shutter speeds.

ultratramp

New to Mu-43
Manila button distributor info

Thanks for the review Amin! I've seen these on some dslrs here but never on a m43 body. Think it's time to pimp my gf1. Thankfully there's a local distributor here in Manila so its just an overnight shipment away.

my HTC Desire sent this
Could you send me info re the Manila distributor? Thanks!

apicius9

Mu-43 Veteran
I thought you were all crazy but ordered them anyway - and I must say, this is really nice. I hope it stays on, but so far I am very happy and really like the feel of the button. Thanks for the tip,

Stefan

atmo

Mu-43 Regular
Any similar products that don't have the glitzy silver branding? Wouldn't mind a plain black one.

caimi

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Caimi caimiphotography.com
Okay, I have to say it: $12.00 for a small piece of molded plastic with a silver logo on it?! Surely a clear sign of the apocalypse.

marlon671

Mu-43 Regular
Oh, one other question I meant to ask. Does it seem you could remove it easily enough? That is, it wouldn't damage the camera on removal, would it?
I can answer this question. I had one installed on my epm1. During installation I somehow dropped the button while i was spinning it to get the right orientation of the logo. It fell adhesive side down right on the record button. I have not pressed it down but was shocked at what happened once I tried to lift it off the rec button.. Keep in mnd the gariz button wasnt even on the record button for more than 5 seconds... as I tried to lift the gariz of the record button, it pulled the record button right off the camera :eek:! i was able to seperate em and pop the record button back in.. The gariz button still had plenty of adhesive to adhere on to the shutter button. When it was time for me to remove the gariz, I used a piece of floss and slid it in between the adhesive and shutter button and it came off clean. left a tiny bit of residue but was easily removed with a soft cloth dampened with water.

Now that i have an om-d, im fine without the gariz.... just me though... id hate for that gariz to get caught up somewhere and yank my shutter button off!

Just my $0.02...

chipbutty

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob
Just received these for my EPM1 and G3. It really helps on the EPM1 in terms of comfort. Also, I don't know if it's my imagination but it really seems to dampen the thunk of the shutter on the EPM1. This could be very handy at low shutter speeds. I've never been completely happy with the position of any shutter button on any camera I've used. They've always felt too low in relation to where my finger rests. I cleaned each shutter button with rubbing alcohol and a micro fibre cloth. I wish they didn't have the Gariz branding across the button but you can't have everything.

View attachment 292046

View attachment 292047

MajorMagee

Mu-43 All-Pro
For those of you who've had these on for a long time now, do you still think they make a real difference? How have they held up under long term use?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom