1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Review Gariz Soft Release Buttons

Discussion in 'Reviews, Tests, & Shootouts' started by Amin Sabet, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I've been thinking about ordering these, but the button looks to add some protrusion to the whole package. I think my E-PL2 would be ok but I think my E-P1 might snag on it pulling it in and out of a bag.

Amin, does it feel pretty secure?

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    The one on my E-P2 it feels pretty secure. I've never had it pop off before. I too thought it would from being thrown in a bag and all, and moving around loose in a bag- but it's never budged.

I don't know how clean it would come off though ;)  but the adhesive seems pretty strong to keep the thing from being knocked off.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisraines/6238619795/" title="E-P2 with Gariz soft shutter button by Dennis Raines, on Flickr">
    6238619795_6728c1dcc4.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    "500" height="375" alt="E-P2 with Gariz soft shutter button"></a>

3. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I use these on my Pen cameras as well, although I've got the black ones on my E-P3 and E-PL1s and the red one on my E-PL1.

4. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Just acquired mine for the GF1 and G1, thanks for sharing Amin.

5. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Went back to them

OK, you guys did it. You convinced me to try the buttons again. I put the black one on my GF1 and used it this past weekend. I guess I DO like it. Maybe the black one works better than the red one I tried before. :rofl:

6. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Has anyone tried the silver and gold buttons yet? If yes, how are they?

Thanks in advance

7. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Silver one here, I've had it on my EP1 for months without any problems... Takes a little getting used to, but does help with shutter speeds.

8. ultratramp

ultratramp New to Mu-43

Apr 4, 2011
    Manila button distributor info

Could you send me info re the Manila distributor? Thanks!

9. agwe

agwe Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2011
    Manila, Philippines
    You can go to www.echostoreph.com.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

10. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    I thought you were all crazy but ordered them anyway - and I must say, this is really nice. I hope it stays on, but so far I am very happy and really like the feel of the button. Thanks for the tip,

Stefan

• Like Like x 1
  11. Photon Phil

Photon Phil New to Mu-43

Dec 30, 2011
    Fantastic review, I never thought of how it could help at slow shutter speeds.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    I got one for Christmas - I love it!

13. tmingyue

tmingyue New to Mu-43

Aug 16, 2012
    I can’t but agree.

14. atmo

atmo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Ireland.
    Any similar products that don't have the glitzy silver branding? Wouldn't mind a plain black one.

15. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Okay, I have to say it: $12.00 for a small piece of molded plastic with a silver logo on it?! Surely a clear sign of the apocalypse.

16. marlon671

marlon671 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    I can answer this question. I had one installed on my epm1. During installation I somehow dropped the button while i was spinning it to get the right orientation of the logo. It fell adhesive side down right on the record button. I have not pressed it down but was shocked at what happened once I tried to lift it off the rec button.. Keep in mnd the gariz button wasnt even on the record button for more than 5 seconds... as I tried to lift the gariz of the record button, it pulled the record button right off the camera :eek: ! i was able to seperate em and pop the record button back in.. The gariz button still had plenty of adhesive to adhere on to the shutter button. When it was time for me to remove the gariz, I used a piece of floss and slid it in between the adhesive and shutter button and it came off clean. left a tiny bit of residue but was easily removed with a soft cloth dampened with water.

Now that i have an om-d, im fine without the gariz.... just me though... id hate for that gariz to get caught up somewhere and yank my shutter button off!

Just my $0.02...

17. rolling green

rolling green Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
    Finding use for the extra Gariz button on my FL-600r flash. Makes locating and depressing the adjustment button much much easier.

View attachment 263869

18. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Top Veteran

Just received these for my EPM1 and G3. It really helps on the EPM1 in terms of comfort. Also, I don't know if it's my imagination but it really seems to dampen the thunk of the shutter on the EPM1. This could be very handy at low shutter speeds. I've never been completely happy with the position of any shutter button on any camera I've used. They've always felt too low in relation to where my finger rests. I cleaned each shutter button with rubbing alcohol and a micro fibre cloth. I wish they didn't have the Gariz branding across the button but you can't have everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

View attachment 292046

View attachment 292047

19. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    For those of you who've had these on for a long time now, do you still think they make a real difference? How have they held up under long term use?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.