1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Gariz half case for E-M1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Neftun, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
  2. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I got one. I sent them a message that they should raise the leather up on the inside of the grip (where the fingertips grip),
    so that all three fingers come in contact with the leather. As well, there is a small gap near the top-outside of the leather grip.
    As well, they could include a rubber plug to cover the hole where the battery door is located (optional use, of course).
    I also rubbed an alcohol soaked rag on the point where the right-hand fingertips grip the leather to remove the slippery shoe polish.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Good points. Does the case improve the handling in any way? Or would I be better off with one of those metal base-plates?

4. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    It does add class to the camera at about twice what a base-plate would be.

P1010011.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Is it me, but what on earth is the point.

6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    It does add a level of protection when slinging it over your shoulder, or it rubbing against the rivets of your jeans when walking about. If you grabbed a camera/lens for a day trip, without a bag, it would protect the corners well from banging into stuff. It is a reasonable investment if you carry just the camera on the strap when you go shooting. I keep one on my E-P5 (an OEM half case) because it is likely that camera I'd grab and run with. In that case, it also adds a bit of thick to the grip, which I like.

7. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I'm thinking of buying one from a good impression of the e-m5 version. Better grip and handling, especially after generous amounts of Sugru on that one, plus as mentioned added protection, is the point. Plural, actually. YMMV.

8. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Looks really nice!

9. iluvgf5

iluvgf5 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2012
    got one too... adds that little bit for my pinky... otherwise it is just all for vanity! i luv leather! :biggrin:

i do agree with post #2 about raising the height up to the curve part of the handgrip

• Like Like x 1
  10. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    Works good with a cheap Chinese sling. :eek:
    E-M1 Gariz half-case + sling.

• Like Like x 1
  11. G1Reflector_949

G1Reflector_949 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Do those who have this half case find there's a gap around this area between the camera grip and the half ca

I see that the E-M1's grip has a bit of a contour to it and essentially tapers up towards the top. Being the case, I believe this Gariz Half Case does not exactly follow this contour so closely around this area and may not be as tight a fit at the upper end of the grip area.

Do those who have this half case find there's a gap around this area between the camera grip and the half case?

12. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    It could be that the entire Olympus right grip is not exactly "vertical", and so it would not have been possible to make a leather grip that
    precisely followed the contour of the grip all the way to the shutter button. The leather also slightly hinders the memory door from opening.
    Other than that, it is a nice addition to the camera.