Gamuts - Confused? - Can someone explain?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by robbie36, Sep 4, 2012.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Now I have read up a bit about color gamuts so I do know a bit but the more I read the more confused I get.

I understand that there are a number of color gamuts - most notably sRGB which is relatively small and AdobeRGB (or aRGB) which is a lot wider.

I have generally assumed that it is best to work with the widest color gamut that you have available (kind of like it is good to have a car that goes 100mph even if the speed limit is 75mph).

I realize that for the 'web' and usually for 'printing' you need to be in sRGB so that I convert to sRGB for those purposes. Other than that my camera captures in aRGB, Lightroom processes in a 'wide gamut' (I think?), my external editors are set to aRGB.

I have also just moved from using a laptop that had a gamut much less than sRGB to one with an IPS panel and settings for aRGB and sRGB. I have chosen aRGB again.

But I am not sure that this is correct - it seems I might be better off using sRGB on the monitor. Perhaps it is simply better to do everything in sRGB?
  2. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    If you really want it to be right, you need to calibrate your new monitor. There are lots of devices around to do that such as the Color Munki, i1 display etc. You also need to set the brightness on your monitor to around 90Cd if you are printing and are after a good match.

Given the option, I always use ProPhoto RGB, which is what LR uses, unless I am mistaken.

Good luck, it's a slippery path.
  3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If you shoot RAW and process in LR, gamut isn't an issue for the file until you convert to JPG. RAW doesn't have a gamut and LR works in ProPhoto. Now, if you have a sRGB monitor, you may not be able to accurately see what the file looks like, even if the monitor is calibrated.
  4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Here's a thread I started on this.

And a direct link to the short article mentioned.

wedding photographers - commercial photography - central coast - sydney - newcastle - hunter valley Flash Gordon Photography

Gamut is one issue, but you'll need to consider others as well, such as bit depth, before you can make sense of how it all works.

As stated above, you definately need to invest in a colorimeter and calibrate that nice new screen of yours as son as possible if you want to start enjoying consistant output.