Gallery and image hosting info: Zenfolio, Flickr and more!

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
This is just for everyone's info. I use Zenfolio which is 40 dollars a year for me and 50 now as of Feb. 1st for new members. It's unlimited and I have about 30Gb of images there now. They give you the codes for different sizes and even embeddable sideshows now so if you have a website or post a lot of pics, it's the best IMHO. I have been using them for three years now. There are many different applications available to upload to them making it even easier. I have a couple of embedded slideshows on my blog and site if you want to check out how it looks in practice. Zenfolio gives you a code when you sign up and if you decide to use them, use my code and you get five dollars off as do I. The code is 7VD-KZY-78V
You don't have to use my code, every where you look for Zenfolio, someone will have a code for you.

http://www.zenfolio.com/

Another good place to host your images is with Microsoft's Skydrive. I've been using it for docs and images for about two years now. It's free and with a 25Gb storage limit and a 50Mb attachment limit, it's pretty cool. There are also several programs available that allow you to upload easily and a very good one is Gladinet that allows you to mount the 25Gb as a virtual hard drive which makes it as easy as it gets to drag and drop files. You have to have a hotmail or live.com email address and that's all you need to use it from any computer.

http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive

http://www.gladinet.com/

Another good unlimited hosting site is Zooomr. I've had images hosted there for at least three years. I think there is a 10Mb per file limit and they give you the codes for embedding images at different sizes into sites and forums so it's a nice place. There are a couple of standalone uploaders available for Zooomr too.

http://www.zooomr.com/

You can also host your images at Gmail. It has close to 8Gb of storage now and I've been using them since they first started and you had to get a invite. There is a little program you can use to mount your Gmail storage as a virtual drive called GMail Drive. There is a 20Mb per attachment limit on Gmail and you can embed your images straight from Gmail by using the
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
brackets.

http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
Zenfolio sample of slideshows and different sizes

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" width="640" height="480" align="" src="http://www.zenfolio.com/zf/code/slideshow.swf" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="id=553705387&background=0xf5f5f5&delay=5&transition=2&loop=1&allowfs=1&allowthumbs=1&showlink=1&allowtitles=0&showtitles=1&autostart=1&allowtopbar=1&allowcontrols=1&transparent=0&frame=0xcccccc"></embed>

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
Skydrive

P1000320.JPG
P1000320.JPG

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
Zooomr

8704255_bded9f58d8_b.jpg
8946566_df27a93e50_b.jpg

8704257_4c22b383a3_o.jpg

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Great info Tex,

considering the fact that my last bill for pbase was $60... it looks like I may well be transferring to Zenfolio this April!

Cheers

Brian

kstevieh

Mu-43 Regular
Webhosting of Photos & printing services????

Where do you all put your photos on the web? Flikr? Shutterfly? etc.

Why do you use that one pro/cons?

Have you used any of the printing services to get prints of your photos? I have a decent epson photo printer but it seems like its alot cheaper to get them printed from the services on the internet.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Steve,

Good questions. I have used Picasa and Flickr. They're free and easy to interface. I now use Flickr primarily because Aperture 3.0 makes it so easy to put up pictures.

I rarely print commercially and not being a pro, never for archival or sale purposes. For my needs Costco is quite good: very good pricing and custom icc profiles for each and every printer they have are available online for free.

BTW, you don't list a location (or country) in your profile...might help others in answering your questions! :thumbup:

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Near &quot;Playland&quot; outside of NYC, NY, USA
I, too, like Flickr for a variety of reasons, such as ease and the way if you want you can become involved or not with your contacts and limit the levels of what various people can see or not see. It's very easy and yes it works with Aperture and iPhoto though I still use the old Flickr uploader.:biggrin:

Flickr has so many people from around the globe and, depending on how you want to use it, you can end up seeing other people's work from around the world... They also have "pools" that center around interests...such as
"Birds in North America" or "Shetland Sheepdogs" or "micro four thirds" or "waterfalls"...almost anything...which you can choose to be involved in, or not.

If you pay them a yearly fee you get some extra perks mainly being able to keep a large number of photos online. I think that you also get the ability to have your photos seen in different sizes...and you can link from here, for example, to your photos on Flickr, too.

I'm guessing most of these sites are similar, I just like Flickr. It's a very handy way to show your friends/family your photos and as I said you can make choose who can see what. Check out how many on this site have "flickr" links in their signatures.:biggrin:

As for prints:redface: it's been a long time, but I'm going to check out Costco since there's one not too far away from me. I used to use Kodak...but I am speaking as a mere "hobbyist" or whatever - not as a professional.

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
I use Zenfolio. It's about as good as it gets IMHO and you can get your prints done, people can order digital copies, prints, password protected, size protected, slide show embedding, your own personalized site if you like.

I've noticed several Zenfolio users here.

Mu-43 Regular
Image resizing and other questions.

Hi,
Just came back from a trip and took pics with the E-P1. I had it set to L-SF so I am guessing the Pic will be huge.

I am using a Mac and was wondering, what would be the best way to upload the images to the web and share with family and friends.
I was thinking of importing with iphoto, so the original files are saved in the hard drive and then open Picasa and upload to picasaweb which will automatically resize it.

Is there a better way. Also i shot some HD videos as well, where can I edit these- should I use imovie or something else (recommend).
I am guessing the file size will be bigger for these clips of 2- 3 minutes. How do you guys compress them for web uploads without loosing quality.

Any websites where I can create nice slideshows with music and also upload videos.

Thanks

Rich M

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi 369....

I use Zenfolio (and there are many, many others...flickr, pBase, Smugmug, etc) for a web hosting service and LR for post processing.

For me in LR, it is easy.....I just export an image using a plugin to Zenfolio. You set the upload size parameters in the plugin (for example, I use 90% JPG, sRGB, 72 DPI, standard sharpening) and that's it.

R

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Near &quot;Playland&quot; outside of NYC, NY, USA
369, I have just moved and then merged your thread into this existing one (which was several pages back) which discusses several different venues...a number of which Rich has just mentioned. Take a quick read through and please add any additional questions!

Mu-43 Regular
I need to share some pics, but want to create a slideshow with music. Does anyone know of any websites that will let create slideshows with music, themes etc.

Latest threads

Top Bottom