1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Gaffers Tape? Is there a difference

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by WT21, Aug 8, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'd like to tape up a new EP3 I'm getting. I've heard gaffers tape is the trick, but I don't know much about it. Is it basically matte black duct tape? Is there a difference in brands? Is it easy to remove? Will it lift the finish off an Oly black body?

Thanks for any insight!

2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I always thought "real" gaffer tape was residue free, I've had plenty of similar tapes that definitely weren't!

What is the taping meant to do?

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Cover the logo and some of the silver trim.

I did a search on Amazon for "gaffers" tape and got a billion hits, so I was leery about getting the real stuff -- finding the residue free stuff. Maybe B&H would know.

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Rosco Gaffers Tape (0.9" x 82', Black) 851422212425 B&H

Residue free, black.

(I used electrician's vinyl black tape on my OM-D, but I've the black body so I only covered the white lettering. And no, I'm not 'posing as a pro' (I don't have to pose as an old timer, I am an old timer :biggrin:), I simply like the looks of a blacked out camera body. I also blacked out the logo on the lens caps and shoulder strap.)

HTH

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've got plenty of electrical tape. Does that work as well? I think it will leave a residue over time, but I'm assuming it could be cleaned up with either denatured alcohol or mineral spirits??

I, too, am just looking for a blacked out camera. Just for fun.

6. Stewmander

Stewmander Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    +1 for gaffers tape. It is more like black masking tape, kinda like the "blue painters" tape but it has a bit of stretch to it.

I have used it to seal a film door to prevent light leaks. It worked great. Most importantly, gaffers tape won't leave a residue. I think electrical tape will leave quite a mess behind, the electrical tape I have used was very stickey.

A good camera/video store should carry gaffers tape, I got mine at Samy's here is So Cal.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I've never had any trouble with gaffer's tape leaving residue. It certainly has much less propensity to leave traces behind than does something like duct tape. Of course, my uses are generally more short-term, so if you leave it on your camera for a long time, I guess there's a possibility that the adhesive will become "dried out." My guess is that if this happens you would be able to gently scrape off any residue with some sort of gentle plastic scraper without impacting the surface of the camera.

As far as brand, I would probably just drop by a camera shop you trust and pick up whatever brand they stock. I can't really tell you which brands I've used, but I've never really noticed a huge difference between those I've tried.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I dunno :confused:.

I'm figuring it will be easy enough if it does leave a trace - alcohol or spirits or Goo-B-Gone; it takes so little tape that the residue, if any, can't be much.

Of course if camera is left is sun for length of time (such as in a closed automobile) the adhesive on the electrician's tape might melt 'n migrate.

I figure it's not worth worrying about, but other's mileage may vary - see the warning post above by OdBm.

There was another thread, where an OM-D owner used toothpicks VERY carefully to remove the white paint on the camera body. Seemed to work, but time consuming.

Jim

9. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Think of duct tape with adhesive that isn't as strong and instead of the smooth, shiny backing it's matte and slightly rough.

Permacell is the brand you're looking for,

Permacell 1G225BLA Gaffer Tape 25 Yards x 2in- Black 1G225BLA

It won't leave glue behind on the surface but I still wouldn't leave it on for extended periods. Change it once and a while.

10. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    0dBm is right on the money. Gaff tape will be tough to remove and leave residue if left on for extended periods. For short term use (it's intended purpose - a few hours to a few days), it is strong, holds very well, but is removable with little to no residue. In theater there's a saying that gaff tape is like the Force: it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ;)

Electrical tape, no matter how long left on or how quickly removed, will leave a sticky, gooey mess. It can be cleaned up fine, it's just messy.

11. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Well...maybe. I took off the electrician's tape that I had covered the "OMD" lettering just to check and there is NO residue of any kind. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

It may be dependent upon what surface the tape is applied to?

I know that if left long enough on Bakelite plastic electrician's tape makes a mess (I used to work as a repair tech and replaced a fair number of housings on barber clippers that had been "protected" by electrician's tape) but the OM-D housing doesn't appear to be Bakelite.

Not that I'm recommending it for the OM-D for others :eek:.

(I also tried the 'toothpick' removal idea and after nearly an hour and having gone through two dozen wooden toothpicks I got all but very small traces of the paint removed. Interesting, seems effective, but requires a LOT of patience. And toothpicks :wink:).

Olympus should offer a special 'black out' model :biggrin:.

However it's done, I do like the looks of the blacked out OM-D.

Jim

12. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    As a Canadian, hockey tape works for a day out!

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think I can remove residue with various cleaners. I think my main concern is pulling paint off a black EP3 if the tape bonds with the finish.

14. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    I've found that automobile paint polishing compound gently removes tape residue - better than scraping

15. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Along the same lines, you can use toothpaste -- it has just enough abrasive in it to remove the residue, but not so much that it attacks the paint. Other similar options are peanut butter (really!) or a paste of baking soda and water. As far as commercial solutions, you could try Goo Gone or even gentle application of a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

As with anything, you should test in an inconspicuous area (like say the bottom of the camera) before you jump in. Also YMMV and I am not responsible for any damage caused by using any of the methods I've described. :rolleyes: