G9 vs EM1.2- Viewfinder stutter/blackout

mrkinnex

New to Mu-43
Hi all,

I'm currently trying out both the Panasonic G9 and the Olympus EM1.2 as upgrades from my EM1.1. I'm leaning towards the G9 for a number of reasons (ergonomics, higher-res EVF, better face tracking) but have encountered some quirks with the EVF that I wanted to run by the collective wisdom here to get some feedback on. Apologies in advance for my long-windedness!

The behavior I'm describing here is in S-AF, single shot mode on the G9. First, I have noticed that with the EVF in 60fps mode, initiating AF causes the frame rate to drop precipitously, such that anything in motion seems to almost jump/stutter across the frame until focus lock is achieved. It's short in duration but is very distracting to me, especially when shooting in lower light or with a slower focusing lens like the 25mm PL where focus takes a bit longer to achieve. Neither my EM1.1 or the EM1.2 exhibit this behavior. So my first question is- have other folks encountered this and is it considered normal for the G9?

Second, I then switched the EVF into 120fps mode, which completely alleviated my first concern, but introduced a new oddity. Now, when taking a shot, the EVF blackout after the shutter fires is much longer. It's disconcerting, and also long enough that sometimes I feel I'm hindered sometimes in followup shots when taking photos of my kids. Interestingly, the behavior is exactly the same whether I use the mechanical or electronic shutter. It especially stands out compared to the EM1.2, where the EVF blackout only lasts as long as the shutter takes to fire. Again, is this something others have encountered?

If both of these are just the way the G9 operates, then it seems I have a choice between a laggy EVF and minimal blackout, or smooth EVF motion and longer blackout. Or opting for the EM1.2 if I want to avoid the issues entirely...

I appreciate any thoughts folks have to offer!

mrkinnex

New to Mu-43
Well, I may have figured it out on my own. After lots of experimenting, it seems that if you let your finger all the way off the shutter button after taking a shot, the camera decides it can take its time coming back from the EVF blackout. If you only let your finger come back to the half-press position, the duration of the blackout is minimal, being the eyeblink I'd expect at faster shutter speeds.

What's a bit confusing to me is that the back LCD doesn't display the same behavior. Go figure...

A bit of frustration along the way, but at least I seem to have figured out my biggest hesitation about the G9!

Latest threads

Top Bottom