G9, v2.4 firmware, and hummingbirds!

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
So I know a few questions have come up with the G9 and the 2.4 firmware update, and how AF has improved, specifically AFC. Well I was outside today and was fortunate enough to have a pair of hummingbirds feeding in some vines. A few things to note, it was rather breezy, so not only did the hummingbirds and plants have a fair amount of movement, so did I while handholding the G9 + PL100-400. ISO was set to auto, animal detect was on, and AFC was selected on the dial. That's it. As far as performance went, sometimes the G9 put a box around the bird, but quite often it did the AF-boxes, but stayed pretty much locked on to the hummingbird either way. There were a handful of times when it missed focus when bringing my eye to the EVF, but way more often than not, it acquired the bird and stayed locked onto it pretty well, provided I kept him in the FOV. On the times it did miss, I just bumped the AF-near and that cured it.

I took a little over 40 images, and I walked away with a lot of good ones, IMO (not sure on the total bounty, just yet). Most I found had the right focus, a handful were soft, and some were just not photos worth keeping due to poor angle on the bird. As you'll see in the sample shots, this was a very busy background, and the bird could blend in rather easily, but the G9 managed to find it with pretty high success, IMO. While I don't know how this would have faired with the previous firmware, I was extremely pleased with the outcome.

And now some results:
P1001295.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P1001326.jpg
P1001333.jpg
P1001336.jpg
P1001339.jpg
P1001340.jpg
P1001343.jpg
P1001347.jpg
P1001348.jpg

t2490jh

New to Mu-43
Very nice. Just did my 2. 4 update yesterday. My longest lens is the 20-200 Leica. So hope to repeat your success.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom