G9: Strange Imaging Phenomenon

SamoyedPapa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've been testing a newly acquired G9, and on the rare occasion, I'm getting a wave effect as you can see from this (out of focus) panned image of a bird against what should have been a clear blue sky. It was taken using a 100-300 v1 lens fully extended, 1/1600', f/5.4, ISO 400, AFS, OIS/IBIS on. I had taken another static shot, which I had since deleted, but it too showed "color waves" in the background. I can't seem to replicate it intentionally, so this is the only image I have to share at the moment.

Does anyone have an idea what may have caused this? A friend who is knowledgeable in the science of imaging suggested it was compression, so I'm wondering if there is a fault with my particular camera's image sensor or processor. Or could the IS have caused this as I panned the camera, although that would not explain the problem with the other static image.

P1000371.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Can you remember if you were using the mechanical or electronic shutter whilst panning?

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
I'm sorry, I just can't imagine this bird, heron, is flying against blue sky.....I mean, it seems the bird is flying on the water and the photographer is standing on the bank on the shore...based on the shadow on the underside of its left wing.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Looks like the bird is flying over water and a good distance from the water. Seems the camera focused on the background. The bird looks to be flying into the wind, which is indicated by the ripples in the water. When there is wind, or gusty wind, there will be small ripples in the water where the wind is strong, and larger ripples where the wind is slower. I suspect the variation of waves you see are from the gust hitting the lower part of the pic, and the calmer water is at the top. Factor in the shallow depth of field at the oblique angle and the lower part is out of focus. That's what it looks like to me.

Last edited:

SamoyedPapa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks everyone for their feedback. I was standing at the edge of and level with a small body of water, with the camera pointed skywards, which is why I didn't think initially that I had captured water in the background, but the closer I look, it does appear to be ripples across the water surface. So far, the camera has yet to replicate the earlier static scene with the artificial light pattern, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Latest threads

Top Bottom