G9 Slow startup and image review times ?

Sootchucker

Mu-43 Veteran
I really like my G9, and for most parts it's a great camera and very enjoyable to use. However about the only part of it that frustrates me is the lag in turning on and also when reviewing images. I’m using the fastest Sony G and Lexar 300mb/s cards but there's still like a second or so delay before it decides to either turn on (i.e the viewfinder or rear screen comes to life on power on), or when reviewing images from the live view screen. When in review mode, going from image to image is instant so I really don’t understand it ?

I've tried it with a number of different cards and all the came. The same cards in my Olympus bodies (EM1 MK II and EM1X) are lightning fast with instant turn on and review ? This is my second G9, (the first one I sold then regretted it a few months later), and that did the same thing as well.

Is it just me or has anyone else having the same issue ?

I had these issues a lot but I was two versions behind. Now I'm running 2.0 and I haven't notice it happen yet but I haven't gone in a backpacking trip, where I noticed the latency most after bracketing 5 or 7 shots.

joele

Mu-43 Regular
I have the same issue, though sometimes its ok and other times it's really laggy.. Latest firmware too, I just live with it as otherwise great camera, but would love to know how to fix, using Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB x 2.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I notice that after a “cold start,” mine is a little slower to ready. However, it seems to be faster after that. I suspect it goes into a deeper sleep/hibernate when not used for a while to further conserve battery.

Preview always seems slower than my past cameras, but that doesn’t bother me much. I’m rarely, if ever, in a position where I need my camera ready “right now.”

amp

Mu-43 Veteran
I noticed the same behavior by my g9 too.
It acted like that from day one, so I figure it must be normal. Lastly, on day one I downloaded the latest firmware.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Hmm...I thought it was my SD card. UHS-2 is supposed to be faster according to all the experts, but based on what some of you are saying it sounds like the delay still exists. Almost spent hundreds to upgrade, glad now I didn't. There's about a 1 second delay for review. Turn-on time doesn't seem any longer than what one would expect. I use my on/off swtich constantly. I expect to wear it out before the rest of the camera.

This list was made about 1-1/2 years ago, but should still apply unless there are now better options.

https://mirrorlesscameras.net/best-sd-cards-for-panasonic-g9/

I'm using Sandisk Extreme (not pro) UHS-1 64g X 2.

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Once I realized it’s just a preview lag, it was all good. Probably has something to do with the preview module not being kept in RAM when the camera mode is on, so it has to load it from internal storage. The camera is likely keeping as much RAM free as possible to handle the various burst modes. All those shots are kept in RAM initially and then written to storage.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Once I realized it’s just a preview lag, it was all good. Probably has something to do with the preview module not being kept in RAM when the camera mode is on, so it has to load it from internal storage. The camera is likely keeping as much RAM free as possible to handle the various burst modes. All those shots are kept in RAM initially and then written to storage.
Agreed. In the grand scheme of things, a second or so delay to review a shot isn't a big deal. However, waiting for a thousand photos in JPEG and RAW to upload via UHS-1 is a pain. I may try one of the UHS-2 cards just to see if it helps, but I hate to spend $100 on an experiment.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Agreed. In the grand scheme of things, a second or so delay to review a shot isn't a big deal. However, waiting for a thousand photos in JPEG and RAW to upload via UHS-1 is a pain. I may try one of the UHS-2 cards just to see if it helps, but I hate to spend $100 on an experiment.
I see those long unattended processes as a “go get a coffee” moment. :)

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've noticed my G9 is slower than my other Panasonics to review an image (I don't use auto-review, I only press a button) but other than that it's quite speedy.

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
If the turn on time is really one second, that's pretty fast considering what has to take place when the camera is first turned on. The camera does read the card, so I suspect the more files it has, the longer it may take. The SD card is not going to play a huge roll in the turn on process. The camera preview image is loading a smaller JPG than the actual photo. Also, SD cards have three speeds - Read, Write and Copy. Read is always the fastest while Write is the slowest. Buying a "faster" card is usually referring to the write speed.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't remember the channel but early this year I watched a youtube test where sandisk cards [I think extreme pro] were used with the latest sandisk card reader and the upload speeds were vastly improoved compared to using third part card readers.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
I don't remember the channel but early this year I watched a youtube test where sandisk cards [I think extreme pro] were used with the latest sandisk card reader and the upload speeds were vastly improoved compared to using third part card readers.
Yeah, I'm just trying not to spend money on it. The only time I have that many photos is after a trip to the dragstrip or an airshow, so 6 or 7 times a year. Other than that 50 is normal.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom