G9: problem with FW 2.0 unzipping with Mac

kfr60

New to Mu-43
Hi,

As described above I have not managed to unzip the downloaded bin-file to copy that to the sd card.

Anyone else having the same problem? I am using 2018 version of MacBook Pro and software should be the latest one. Earlier I have been ok with this.

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
I had no problem- the file downloaded and appeared immediately as a .bin file. Copied it to the SD card, everything went as normal. Check your download source- perhaps that is the issue?

crapbirder

New to Mu-43
Would not unzip for me at the first and second attempts but did on the third using Windows 7. But that's software for you!!

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
I don’t think you should have to manually unzip the file, I didn’t.
I download it to my downloads folder on my iMac, when I drag it onto my desktop, it unzips itself! Then I paste the bin file onto my SD card!

@kfr60 I don't know how mac's handle zip files but on my pc I had to manually unzip the folder. Have you tried manually unzipping the folder?
A right button click on the mouse should open the option to unzip, at least on a windows pc. Do mac mouses have 2 buttons yet or are they still chugging along with a single button?

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
@kfr60 I don't know how mac's handle zip files but on my pc I had to manually unzip the folder. Have you tried manually unzipping the folder?
A right button click on the mouse should open the option to unzip, at least on a windows pc. Do mac mouses have 2 buttons yet or are they still chugging along with a single button?
Macs automatically unzip the files, this one shows up immediately as the unzipped .bin files. Some of us have moved beyond the mouse ;) and just have trackpads with all kinds of combinations of fingers and swipes (almost none of which I use)

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
Its no good to equate a Mac update with a PC one.
Apple Magic mice and trackpads don’t have buttons!

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
Kfr60, please explain exactly how you are trying to update your G9 and where are you getting the zip file from?
The instructions on the firmware update page is I think quite clear!

Cynthia

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Cynthia
@Mike G, I too, have a Mac. I reformatted the memory card in camera, and downloaded the update to my desktop, and as others have noted, it automatically opened the zip file and the bin file appeared. I did not open the bin file, but I moved it to the memory card without any issues. I hope I am making sense.

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
Cynthia, exactly. Check the contents of the SD card to be sure the bin file is on it. Put the card in the camera, turn it on, press (and perhaps hold the playback button), and you should get the screen asking if you wan tot upgrade the firmware to 2.0. Choose Yes, and Bob is your uncle :)

@Cynthia make sure there are only the Panasonic folders in the root of the SD card. If there is anything else in the root directory, for some reason the firmware update won't work on the camera end. I know this has happened to me a couple of times and removing all the extra stuff from the root fixes the issue.

kfr60

New to Mu-43
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi all,

Thx for the advises. I have to say that I have been so stupid. I didn't understand that Mac is nowadays so clever that it automatically unzip the files. Now everything is ok.

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
Hi all,

Thx for the advises. I have to say that I have been so stupid. I didn't understand that Mac is nowadays so clever that it automatically unzip the files. Now everything is ok.
So glad to hear that, rest assured we have all made similar mistakes!

chikubi

New to Mu-43
FWIW, for future readers, Macs don't automatically unzip files when they download unless you have them set to do so by having "Automatically open 'safe' files" checked in the Safari General preferences. This is the default setting, so that's why most people think it's just what Macs do. If you have your Mac set to NOT automatically open safe files, then just double-click the file directly to manually unzip it.

As a bit of advice, it's very wise for security reasons to turn off the automatic file opening feature mentioned above because it's one of the primary ways for malware and other threats to get on your system. It only takes an extra click or two to manually open any downloaded file, so that's by far the best and safest course of action.

kfr60

New to Mu-43
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very good comment. I will check this right away. Thx.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom