G9 L-Bracket from SmallRig

Real Name
Rick
For owners of the G9, SmallRig is releasing an L-bracket. It looks to be well-made, SmallRig has a good reputation. Right now, pre-orders are available for 50% off: US $34.50. For that price, looks darn good compared to RRS.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I pre-ordered & they charged my card but did not ship on the date they said they would (AFAIK) and did not respond to my Email.

I am close to disputing it on my CC...

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
I recall seeing this video at the 4/3 rumors site on the GH5 L-plate from smallrig. He had two complaints about it.
  • Evidently it doesn't quite fit in the true Arca Swiss mounting system. This would seem to me a pretty serious failing. Hopefully the G9 plate is slightly thinner so it will fit.
  • If you are doing run/gun type videos, you can't fold out the monitor so you can see it when you are looking down from on top. Now, I imagine that the G9 users may be more interested in stills than video, so this may not affect them as much. Pictures of the L-plate show that the bar is solid like the GH5 version, which means it probably has the problem.

Real Name
Rick
I recall seeing this video at the 4/3 rumors site on the GH5 L-plate from smallrig. He had two complaints about it.
  • Evidently it doesn't quite fit in the true Arca Swiss mounting system. This would seem to me a pretty serious failing. Hopefully the G9 plate is slightly thinner so it will fit.
  • If you are doing run/gun type videos, you can't fold out the monitor so you can see it when you are looking down from on top. Now, I imagine that the G9 users may be more interested in stills than video, so this may not affect them as much. Pictures of the L-plate show that the bar is solid like the GH5 version, which means it probably has the problem.
I had seen the closed side frame you mention, but thought there would be sufficient room to swing the screen out for what I typically do (would have preferred the non-flippy screen type), based on the photo on their website. The RRS version is almost 4x more expensive ($150), so I am thinking I will be ok, basically a stills shooter. The alternatives on Amazon weren't particularly attractive, and at least as costly. We'll see.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

whumber

Mu-43 Veteran
For owners of the G9, SmallRig is releasing an L-bracket. It looks to be well-made, SmallRig has a good reputation. Right now, pre-orders are available for 50% off: US $34.50. For that price, looks darn good compared to RRS.
TYTYTYTYTY! I would have ordered the RRS version but it does not extend to the grip which is most of the benefit for me.

Last edited:

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Still no notification or even a response to my inquiry from Smellrig - I am pretty sure it violates US law to not ship within xx days of payment...

I think I may need to dispute this on my cc

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thx - keep me posted; I sent a 2nd Email...

Other Chinese Co.s seem to have fine customer support...

whumber

Mu-43 Veteran
I wouldn't expect any replies this week as it's a major national holiday.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Evidently it doesn't quite fit in the true Arca Swiss mounting system. This would seem to me a pretty serious failing. Hopefully the G9 plate is slightly thinner so it will fit.
I purchased one of their cages and handles for my G85. The handle used a nato rail fitting but was too loose to fit the rail and was replaced free of charge, and I did not have to return the faulty one. I did not purchase directly from Small Rig but a ebay supplier. Do not remember their name off hand but they have also provided free of charge some spare screws when requested with another order I placed with them. I will try to remember to add a link to their page as they are very quick with all questions I have asked..

Edit;
This is where I have purchased all my SmallRig gear from
cinemarig | eBay

Last edited:
Real Name
Ian
If the L-bracket portion does not have an open notch, use the of the rear LCD will be severely compromised.

I have the RRS bracket for my E-M1 II, and notch in the bracket allows you to swing the LCD out while still allowing some rotation in the horizontal position. Without the notch, the rear LCD is extremely limited in its movement, and would essentially be a fixed rear LCD unless you're shooting in portrait orientation.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I guess we now wait to see how well it works on the G9 and if it disables anything important like the pivoting of the rear LCD...

Real Name
Rick
Mine arrived last evening. Typical SmallRig fit and finish. A little heavier than I was expecting, but extremely solid.

The L plate does get in the way of the screen flipped out when pointing up or down, but still somewhat useable that way at a 45 degree angle. But the L plate is easily removed by one of two methods:

Removing the adjustment screw with the included, magnetically captive screwdriver, and sliding the entire side assembly out...

Or, removing two hex screws that attach the L plate to the adjustable plate (which leaves those two threaded sockets available for mounting something else to the side).

Love the slit below the grip for attaching my hand strap without any additional mounting hardware, and there is also a recessed area to accept a Peak Design dongle.

Both bottom and side dovetails fit all my arca swiss clamps, and I like that both will slide in from only one direction with a solid stop on the other.

With the L bracket extended, it makes a nice second grip for video work.

Again, really solid, and almost factory like fit and appearance. Guessing this will be a full timer on my G9. Much more comfortable resting camera on a rock or brick wall with this. Only reason I can imagine removing it is if you want the smallest, lightest setup possible, but that is not really the G9's forte anyway.
Not fair! :) You got your notice after me but received your unit before me!

Good report- sounds like it will do the job.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
some use red Loctite (which requires a torch to remove...)

a lot of less expensive ballheads or clamps vary in their adherence to the Arca-Swiss std.

RRS is usually safe; likely Markins too

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
do you own a Bridgeport?

otherwise (and maybe even if you do) putting a well made clamp on there is the thing to do - or upgrade the entire head...

I'll be interested to see how things go when mine arrives - I have many old RRS clamps, an RRS BH-40 ballhead, Markins "Traveler type" ballhead, and a very old original Arca-Swiss ballhead. Markings is a flip clamp; others are screw clamps.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom