G9 for Birding

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
G9 as a birding camera. I am currently using a Gx8 with my PL100-400 and unless Oly comes out with a OM1 III next spring it looks like the G9 is my best choice for BIF only camera (whatever I get will live on the PL100-400). After comparing images from DPR it seems like the G9 has at least a stop advantage over the Gx8. On cloudy days once I hit 3200 ISO on the Gx8 I am losing detail. It also looks like the G9 has maybe a half stop advantage over the Em1 II. Don't use stabilization when shooting BIF's, but DFD vs Oly focusing makes a hard decision for BIF only.

Did the software upgrade make CAF any better for birds with complex backgrounds. How about blue sky? I shoot birds about once a week, while my buddy is a daily shooter and his D500/200-500 has at least 1.5 stops advantage of the Gx8 and of course I get 2 of 5 in focus and he nails at least 4 of 5 (don't want the size due to an old injury, had Nikon gear and just too heavy @ 69 with injury).

Living in Oregon I often shoot on cloudy days and ISO 3200 @ 6.3 is on the edge. Could get the G9 fairly soon or wait until late winter to see what Oly is going to do. I read the rather complete post by Ziggy. Just looking for thoughts on the software upgrade and if given the constraints you like the G9 for BIF.

Attached is a ISO1600 +2 exposure comp with the Gx8 100-400 to show the lack of detail and noise (RAW with some PS).

goose2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

panamike

Mu-43 Legend
Good question, i had the EM1MK11 for a while last year with the 100-400, went back to Nikon but it was still too heavy for me at my age and in my condition, bought back into m4/3 a couple of weeks ago with the G9, too soon to say how good it is with BIF.
Obviously this has had some NR on the background none on the bird but this is ISO 6400 on the G9

P1000567e.jpg

ISO 2500

P1000177.jpg

panamike

Mu-43 Legend
This is the same file with no PP just reduced for posting.

P1000567.jpg

panamike

Mu-43 Legend
Em1mk11 ISO6400 no PP

P1090727.jpg

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
my understanding is that the Panny AF system is very good at initial lock-on, but not so good at follow focus; esp. for varied backgrounds - this is a comparison to Nikon from a friend who does a fair amount of such work and uses both systems

or maybe I have that backwards??

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It does look like the G9 is cleaner, probably at least a stop. I have a sneaking suspicion that Oly will introduce a EM1 III in the spring of next year, decisions, decisions:)

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Using G9 I once shot a video of a redtail hawk before sunrise. To my surprise the video ISO was 6400 as was my reference pics of the Hawk. And it was usable for 4K.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
snaimpally, saw that video. I was kind of looking for a review like Ziggy did after the AF update for BIF's specifically. Thanks for the post.

Mountain

Mu-43 All-Pro
What software do you use for NR? I use DXO for NR with my GX8, and have been happy enough, though I'm not a big BIF shooter. I'm not sure if this helps, but here are some high ISO samples (I think all ISO3200+) with GX8 + PL100-400 + DXO Prime NR. They aren't perfect, but the software seems to help some.

42971408081_33fe728dcd_b.jpg
Owls of the World from Hawk Quest and SSPRD (captive)

39916883421_9a0b187a93_b.jpg
P1150234_DxO

36896567116_2e995fcf80_b.jpg
Muskrat

39371359032_9bab788763_b.jpg
Cutest Rodent Ever?

45458231232_091acd7590_b.jpg
Creepy Crawly Photo Shoot

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
In my experience, G9 does quite well if you already had a focus on the bird, and try to follow when the bird takes off. But it was difficult to get the focus when the bird was flying already, especially against busy background. Low light condition made it almost impossible. Just in general, keeping flying bird in AF target area through EVF, while burst shooting, is really tough.

kinlau

Mu-43 All-Pro
My G9 + 100-400 has given me the best shots of Chimney Swifts in flight, but it requires you to prefocus on a closer subject first. I don’t usually bother with bif against busy backgrounds since my Canon 7D never did that great either in that scenario.

panamike

Mu-43 Legend
I appreciate your main question has not been addressed but when i get my replacement G9 i hope to give BIF a serious go,the problem is i have just gone from a D500 back to m4/3, i know there is a timing curve i have to get back in to for mirrorless.
Hopefully i will have more of an opinion in a couple of weeks.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks Mike. Looking forward to your report

panamike

Mu-43 Legend
Decided to drop things in this thread to cover many aspects, went out today with one custom mode set to try on fairly large and close BIF, naturally not a lot of subjects presented them selfs.

The camera was set on the smallest single focus box with no exposure adjustments and spot metering, this bird was way too far off even for 400mm but i was surprised how well the stabilising allowed me to keep the focus point on target,they should have and will be dumped but decided to share them first.

P1000051.jpg

P1000051e.jpg

P1000052b.jpg

P1000052.jpg

If i had exposure compensation set in and not had to raise the shadows i think they could have been decent shots.

Daniel J. Cox

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Daniel J. Cox
Decided to drop things in this thread to cover many aspects, went out today with one custom mode set to try on fairly large and close BIF, naturally not a lot of subjects presented them selfs.

The camera was set on the smallest single focus box with no exposure adjustments and spot metering, this bird was way too far off even for 400mm but i was surprised how well the stabilising allowed me to keep the focus point on target,they should have and will be dumped but decided to share them first.

View attachment 734500

View attachment 734501

View attachment 734502

View attachment 734503

If i had exposure compensation set in and not had to raise the shadows i think they could have been decent shots.

One of the ways I make setting Exposure Compensation much quicker is to change the front dial to Exposure Compensation. This removes the need to push the +/- EV button before turning the dial. When a bird appears against a bright white sky as yours did, I simply dial the front dial to the right three clicks, sometimes five clicks, to get a proper exposure. Once you get used to working this way it becomes second nature.

panamike

Mu-43 Legend
One of the ways I make setting Exposure Compensation much quicker is to change the front dial to Exposure Compensation. This removes the need to push the +/- EV button before turning the dial. When a bird appears against a bright white sky as yours did, I simply dial the front dial to the right three clicks, sometimes five clicks, to get a proper exposure. Once you get used to working this way it becomes second nature.

Thanks,when i had my G80 i had that on the second custom mode with shutter priotity, i had only set one mode for today and it was manual, just finished setting up the second one.

panamike

Mu-43 Legend
A set of nearly head on shots

P1000191.jpg

P1000192.jpg

P1000193.jpg

P1000194.jpg

panamike

Mu-43 Legend
Good shots Mike, but at what frame rate were they taken. I'm looking at the tree in the background at the upper right and the wing positions. Fast frame rate Mike?

All the best.

Danny.

Thanks, 7fps i would like to use 5 and i cant see why Panasonic have to make me jump from 2 0n low to 7 on medium, obviously even with all their photography knowledge they still have no idea :026:.

Latest threads

Top Bottom