G9 did not achieve focus with 45mm PL macro lens

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I am wondering why the G9 could not focus - maybe the slow macro lens was too slow to focus?

I was using the center group AF choice. on a small tripod; f3; 1/15 speed, ISO 1600
not focused.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Any ideas?

Last edited:

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
probably, but don't recall

a moment before this one it took a commendable macro shot

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Probably just rushed the shot.
I reassigned my depth field button to manual focus, and use it, when I’m using that lens. One of my favourite lenses that one.

JanW

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Did you check the focus/release priority setting?
If it is set to release the photo will be taken even if correct focus is not yet locked.
With an extremely fast camera and a slow focusing lens that is very well possible.

Henk van Slooten

Mu-43 Veteran
I found this: http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2010/07/panasonic-leica-lumix-dg-macro-elmarit.html

When using the autofocus for close up focus distances, it does not function perfectly. At close to the magnification limit, you will some times experience false positives. The camera reports that focus is achieved, while nothing in the frame is in focus. This also happens sometimes with the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 pancake at close distances, by the way.

Some times, for example when photographing flowers, the camera will focus on the background, and not see the foreground flower at all, even if it covers the whole focus point. In this case, I've found that it helps to temporarily switch to manual focus (MF), manually choose the largest magnification, and then switch back to AF.

JanW

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jan
> When using the autofocus for close up focus distances,

Not really the case here I think :)

It could also have focused on the most contrasty item in view which is the black edge (TV?) on the right.
Carpet is sharp there..
What focus point/group do you use?

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
No - the shot is a few feet away.

Custom Multi focus group with a diamond of about 3 squares on every direction from the center square.

focus/release priority = Focus

I don't recall having this problem before - about 2 years with Panasonic bodies and this lens; 45+ years in still photography...

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Looks like it focused on the strong contrast pillar on the right. I don't know why it sometimes focuses on things not inside the focus box(es.)

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thinking about this some more - there is NO focus point in the file. The add-on for LR could not ID one anyway.

So did the lens not move maybe?

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This happens to me on my G9 from time to time. It's probably fair enough to say that all of my cameras have missed focus from time to time, and the G9 is no different. Hard to say why...

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don't think my Nikons ever did - started with film cameras - but maybe I just forgot...

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I still shoot Nikon. I will say that it never misses by a mile like my G9 does, but it does miss. The thing about some of these computers we call cameras is that when they miss, they miss by a mile.

Latest threads

Top Bottom