G9 covers first airshow - good and bad!

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think that's why Canon are putting little LCD indicators on their lenses.
I just saw a review on the Canon 70-300 with that screen.
It works just like the old DoF scale, but with electronics, so it works with a 2-ring zoom.
COOL :D
Now when will other manufacturers do that.

Last edited:

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
What was your custom multi setting?

What fps? Anything over medium burst involves prediction.

When you lost a lock did you bail or try to regain it? Some of us have found that it can go soft but recover.

Btw, some photographers say this AFC failing is a result of the CDAF tech.
Thanks Ziggy,

Custom multi was a centralised diamond shape just a touch larger than the standard multi setting.
I did try to regain lock but in tracking if you lose lock and the subject has moved you have 2 problems
1. You have to use Fn.1 to bring back initial lock on frame
2. You will need to refocus as the aircraft has moved and anything closer will be out of focus so difficult to identify and lock onto.

I was using mechanical shutter at medium setting so as not to go crazy.

I understand that the new DFD CDAF system is supposed to be as good as PDAF.

Ziggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks Ziggy,

Custom multi was a centralised diamond shape just a touch larger than the standard multi setting.
I did try to regain lock but in tracking if you lose lock and the subject has moved you have 2 problems
1. You have to use Fn.1 to bring back initial lock on frame
2. You will need to refocus as the aircraft has moved and anything closer will be out of focus so difficult to identify and lock onto.

I was using mechanical shutter at medium setting so as not to go crazy.

I understand that the new DFD CDAF system is supposed to be as good as PDAF.
Well, it isn't in a couple of contexts, I've found. The DfD makes it quicker but in those contexts it's just quicker to fail.

I do a lot of BiF and have been shooting this rig alongside a D500 (with PDAF).

These are the two contexts: Panasonic favours the more distant focus lock if there's a choice, and if you use single point even where it's fully on the subject sometimes it just won't lock. This may be associated with lower light or a flat subject.

So if I'm panning on a bird, it's in the mid distance or further and there's a busy background, even if some green boxes are lighting up on the bird, if any boxes or parts of them are on the background, that wins. Closer than mid distance it will work.

That's with the PL 100-400mm. I've had slightly different results with the Oly 12-100mm.
I came to the conclusion that repeated half-shutter-button presses is sometimes worth it, but of course you can lose an erratic subject altogether as well.

Mathieu of mirrorlesscomparisons also reports a relatively low keeper rate with the G9 compared with other mirrorless cameras in wildlife shooting. The Best Mirrorless Cameras for Wildlife and Bird Photography – 2018 Round-up

On my last bird shooting trip on two occasions I lost important shots with the Panasonic. Now if the occasion can't be repeated I take the Nikon rig.

I'm no tech expert but think that the preference for the more distant lock would be a programmed choice. Others see it as a consequence of the AF tech as I mentioned.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Hi @lansky
Some nice shots there
I havent read through this thread yet - just responding to your initial post
To be honest I wouldn’t have even engaged the tracking
From my point of view it is reasonably well known that tracking on all M43 cameras is and is likely to remain for the moment poor for fast moving subjects
I would probably use it for tracking people moving around or running towards away or across the frame etc but certainly wouldn’t use it for subjects like this or for my preferred subject - Motorsports
I always use standard CAF and experiment with and adjust the CAF settings
I have recently. Even using both the EM1/2 and my G9 for Motorsports
Although my recent experience with very fast moving subjects (100 mph plus) has left me leaning towards the EM1/2 I have quite a few well focussed and indeed ‘tracked’ shots where I have had the G9 on 7fps burst and have captured a series of Speedway riders with regular CAF (Speedway riders are travelling at up to about 80 mph I believe)
You can see some of these in my G9 Motorsports thread
I was reviewing my flikr account shots last night in order to decide whether to take my G9 to this week’s Speedway event and found that I have quite a few very well focussed shots from Speedway and indeed a few but smaller number from the faster moving World Superbike event at Donington
I would persevere but just select standard CAF or even try AFF a few times as I think with practice and getting used to doing things a little differently you will get some great results
Some of your shots certainly look nicely sharp
For what it’s worth I was considering choosing between the EM1/2 and the G9 but have decided that I like both cameras too much and I will be continuing with the G9 including this evening at Speedway where the light is going to be very good due to a current heatwave here ( yes we have them once in a while in the UK !)
The only thing that may have a bearing on the results tonight is the dust levels which is due to a problem with incorrectly supplied shale having to be removed from the track - but the dust certainly adds some dynamics to my pictures when they work
Don’t know about you but having thought that the top display was going to be a real bonus - I’ve yet to use it although I’d imagine that the night vision option would be a great feature for night use
PS I have to say that the custom multi focussing screen is a huuuge advantage over the Olympus set up imo
Regards
Rob

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Hi @lansky
PS not quite sure if I’m understanding your reference to using Fn1 to reset the focussing frame but pushing the toggle/joystick in immediately recentres the focussing system which I have to say is another superb feature on this camera as you can also very quickly offset the custom multi pattern you have selected (diamond etc) to any part of the screen to allow for movement towards the peripheral areas of your frame if required or if that suits what your subjects are doing (such as a aircraft moving quickly from right to left or upwards / downwards)
You can then still lock on and capture them as they move towards the edge of your frame and then you can very quickly reset to default (centred in screen) at the push of the joystick
Regards
Rob

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Rob,
Thanks for both your responses and information, I think I will give up on tracking unless it is close, large and steady! I will probably stick with the multi pattern and thanks for the re-centering tip using the joystick - never thought of that even though the D500 joystick does the same thing.
I do like the top screen and again it is the same as the D500 so I am used to using one.
I would normally use my D500 with 300mm for airshow / car racing etc but wanted to try the G9.
I am going to Thruxton early Jul for the truck racing so will take both kits and see how the G9 performs with large fast trucks where tracking should work...............I hope if not I know the D500 will deliver.
I do know that Panasonic monitor this site so lets hope they read all the comments by users about AFC / tracking and frustrations of G9 users and can put a workable resolution in a firmware update.

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks Ziggy,
It was listed by Panasonic as addressing the AF tracking but only in video - see below from Panasonic site:
Improvement of AF performance
• AF tracking performance in video recording has been improved.

Alas it has not improved AFC tracking in photos, this does indicate to me that it can be done via firmware so fingers crossed they resolve this soon as my faith in AFC tracking for anything other than close in / big subjects has been
knocked resulting in some loss of faith.

Last edited:

Ziggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yep.
In my thread on the G9 and birds, comparing it with the D500, I said the Panasonic does 80% of what I want but there's gold in the other 20%.
And to be fair, Preburst gets some great shots that the Nikon never could.

gcogger

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Graeme
Mathieu of mirrorlesscomparisons also reports a relatively low keeper rate with the G9 compared with other mirrorless cameras in wildlife shooting. The Best Mirrorless Cameras for Wildlife and Bird Photography – 2018 Round-up
A minor point, but the criticism was not for wildlife in general, but specifically for birds in flight against a busy background. To quote from their summary:
"The AF of the G9 excels in almost every way and in our in-depth comparison with the E-M1 II, we found it to be better in most situations except for birds in flight, or more precisely, birds flying against a busy background."
I appreciate that was the context of the discussion, but I didn't want people getting the impression they should discount the G9 for general wildlife shooting.

Real Name
Ian
A minor point, but the criticism was not for wildlife in general, but specifically for birds in flight against a busy background. To quote from their summary:
"The AF of the G9 excels in almost every way and in our in-depth comparison with the E-M1 II, we found it to be better in most situations except for birds in flight, or more precisely, birds flying against a busy background."
I appreciate that was the context of the discussion, but I didn't want people getting the impression they should discount the G9 for general wildlife shooting.
Was that comment about the E-M1 II pre or post FW 2.0?

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am not at this stage using back button focus on the G9 but I do use it on my Nikons so I will try it and see if that helps / has an impact on AFC work.
I am off to photograph truck racing at Thruxton next weekend so will take the G9+100-400 and yet again try the tracking with large objects and if that does not work I will again try the multi selection and back button focus.
I am still considering taking the D500+300mm as a "just in case".

Last edited:

Bill Smith

Mu-43 Regular
I shared your frustration when I took my G80 and 100-400 to Bournmouth airshow last year. I found tracking to be not worth using and I got little success with any other focusing modes. I got home and found just a bunch of seemingly out of focus shots. I had a fair few keepers with my Canon 50D and 150-500 from previous years, so the G80 was a major disappointment, given I've been happy with it otherwise.
This got me looking and I found a guy with the same setup as me, taking some really good shots. I don't know if he's a member here, but here's a link to the thread I found on an airshow forum. He shares some photos along with his settings and technique that may be partially transferable to the G9. (he's called Hatstand on the forum)

RIAT 2017 Saturday (non-DSLR m43) - Updated

I'm interested as to how you get on, as I've been thinking of a G9, hoping the tracking may be better, although I suspect my ability is letting me down more.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Went to an Airshow over the weekend and tested out the G85 in a real world situation. It was tough slugging until I managed to set it up to focus properly. For those of you doing the same in the near future here are the settings that worked for me:

- AFC
- One centre point focus and then expand the focus are to the max
- Shutter speed prioroty
- Depending on the lighting spot for metering
- 1/1000 shutter speed or higher (jets) and 1/250th or slower for prop planes to get prop blurr
- Quick AF off
- Constant preview off
- ISBIS for panning on in camera
- AF sensitivity +2

OHHHH And one last thing...SHOOT IN JPEG. And medium burst for everything but jets...high speed burst for them. 4500 pics in RAW is a pain in the....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom