G9 control dial options

panamike

Mu-43 Legend
I sometimes struggle understanding the the options presented in the manuel, this is one of those times.

Can i set the camera to M with auto iso and have the control dial give exposure compensation with out having to press the compemnsation button.

If i can would some one be kind enough to give me idiot proof instructions as its confusing me.

Capture.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ronnin

New to Mu-43
I sometimes struggle understanding the the options presented in the manuel, this is one of those times.

Can i set the camera to M with auto iso and have the control dial give exposure compensation with out having to press the compemnsation button.

If i can would some one be kind enough to give me idiot proof instructions as its confusing me.

View attachment 752688
I understand your confusion with dial assignment, but exposure compensation is primarily used for the automated settings (i.e., ASP) and since you are using M mode, you have the option of changing Aperture or Shutter speed manually and do not need a compensation setting per se. If, on the other hand, your issue was misstated, please repost.
As for auto ISO, yes, I believe that it can be set in Manual mode as with most other cameras.

panamike

Mu-43 Legend
I understand your confusion with dial assignment, but exposure compensation is primarily used for the automated settings (i.e., ASP) and since you are using M mode, you have the option of changing Aperture or Shutter speed manually and do not need a compensation setting per se. If, on the other hand, your issue was misstated, please repost.
As for auto ISO, yes, I believe that it can be set in Manual mode as with most other cameras.

Thanks, i use auto iso all the time but in shutter priority then i can adjust the exposure compensation with the front dial without pressing a button, this of course means shooting wide open.I would like to keep the easy compensation but stop down one stop so want manual, when using auto iso you cant make a exposure compensation in manual with the shutter or aperture as the auto iso adjusts itself to give correct exposure.
The reason i want to keep easy exposure compensation is so i can make adjustments when panning a bird in flight if it goes into different lighting.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
According to that page it can be done, but I think I need to see another page or two to sort out how.

One thing I learned when I'm reading how to do something is to first look at under which circumstances it won't work. They usually list exceptions after the instructions for a particular item. Sometimes I'll struggle with some feature and then read the exceptions and have a :doh: moment. As an example, I couldn't get the camera to activate the panning stabilizer mode, it was greyed out. After several confused moments I realized it was still in 6K burst mode from some experimenting I did at the race track.

panamike

Mu-43 Legend
Ok i must be an idiot, tried setting it up but could not sort out the options, so with the camera on manual and auto iso i thought lets see what the dial does any way. yes you guessed it gives exposure compensation with out pressing the button.

facepalm.gif

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Ok i must be an idiot, tried setting it up but could not sort out the options, so with the camera on manual and auto iso i thought lets see what the dial does any way. yes you guessed it gives exposure compensation with out pressing the button.

View attachment 752818

You mean with no additional setting changes? Like it defaults to that?

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
You can use EC in manual with Auto ISO . The camera is controlling ISO so EC will make it bias towards darker or brighter pics with the ISO while you manually control Aperture or shutterspeed. EC doesn't make any sense in FULL manual where u've set ISO to a specific value..

443F01B5-9224-4E12-B472-F32F96C68237.jpeg
There are many different ways to set up the G9, many of which will, then, change other possible settings. For what it’s worth, here is my current set up

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
This may or may not be of any help. But here goes. I like the way most of the default top and back button layout is for the G9, especially for the photo mode. They seem to be real fast to access without looking at the camera or taking the eye off the EVF.

I know everyone has a personal preference for how they shoot, and that's usually due to the type of style and photos they do. And, the G9 offers a lot of customizatons for it. But in some cases, the G9 has a lot of default settings that are worth adapting to.

Latest threads

Top Bottom