1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

G9 control dial options

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by panamike, Jun 12, 2019 at 3:53 AM.

1. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    I sometimes struggle understanding the the options presented in the manuel, this is one of those times.

Can i set the camera to M with auto iso and have the control dial give exposure compensation with out having to press the compemnsation button.

If i can would some one be kind enough to give me idiot proof instructions as its confusing me.

Capture.JPG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. ronnin

ronnin New to Mu-43

May 30, 2019
    I understand your confusion with dial assignment, but exposure compensation is primarily used for the automated settings (i.e., ASP) and since you are using M mode, you have the option of changing Aperture or Shutter speed manually and do not need a compensation setting per se. If, on the other hand, your issue was misstated, please repost.
    As for auto ISO, yes, I believe that it can be set in Manual mode as with most other cameras.

3. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Thanks, i use auto iso all the time but in shutter priority then i can adjust the exposure compensation with the front dial without pressing a button, this of course means shooting wide open.I would like to keep the easy compensation but stop down one stop so want manual, when using auto iso you cant make a exposure compensation in manual with the shutter or aperture as the auto iso adjusts itself to give correct exposure.
    The reason i want to keep easy exposure compensation is so i can make adjustments when panning a bird in flight if it goes into different lighting.

4. Brownie

Brownie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2018
    SE Michigan
    According to that page it can be done, but I think I need to see another page or two to sort out how.

One thing I learned when I'm reading how to do something is to first look at under which circumstances it won't work. They usually list exceptions after the instructions for a particular item. Sometimes I'll struggle with some feature and then read the exceptions and have a :doh: moment. As an example, I couldn't get the camera to activate the panning stabilizer mode, it was greyed out. After several confused moments I realized it was still in 6K burst mode from some experimenting I did at the race track.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Ok i must be an idiot, tried setting it up but could not sort out the options, so with the camera on manual and auto iso i thought lets see what the dial does any way. yes you guessed it gives exposure compensation with out pressing the button.

facepalm.gif

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brownie

Brownie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2018
    SE Michigan
    You mean with no additional setting changes? Like it defaults to that?

7. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    The only additional setting of dial changes i have is the front dial to exp comp when ime in shutter priority

8. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    You can use EC in manual with Auto ISO . The camera is controlling ISO so EC will make it bias towards darker or brighter pics with the ISO while you manually control Aperture or shutterspeed. EC doesn't make any sense in FULL manual where u've set ISO to a specific value..

9. Jrsforums

Jrsforums New to Mu-43

Mar 13, 2019
    443F01B5-9224-4E12-B472-F32F96C68237.jpeg
    There are many different ways to set up the G9, many of which will, then, change other possible settings. For what it’s worth, here is my current set up

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.