G9 and Astrophotography

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Ok, in the next few weeks I am going out to some dark sky areas and I hope to shoot some astro-landscapes with my G9. My question is do you leave the stabilization on or shut it off on this camera? Reason I am asking I though I had read somewhere that there was no need to turn it off? That does not sound right to me. So, astrophotographer out there do you or do you not turn off image stabilization when shooting the night sky?

GR

Stanga

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I keep IBIS on, because I find that it dampens the vibrating picture on the LCD screen far quicker when the ground beneath the tripod is disturbed from passing traffic, the local train line, and strong breeze hitting the tripod.

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Sounds like it does not make much difference...I appreciate the feedback! Thanks much.
GR

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I assume the G9 works in the same manner as the E-M1II:
IBIS will turn itself off. I've had my E-M1II on a tripod before then I bumped the tripod, watch watched the IBIS engage and as I adjusted the ball head the view became very stable as I had the shutter release depressed half way. After leaving the tripod still for a moment I could watch slight bumps of the tripod cause the view to wobble before the view stabilized again.

Never had any issues in regards to the IBIS on tripod operation in my use of the E-M5 and E-M1II. I guess Thom Hogan spreads a bit too much of a certain myth on Nikon's VR on tripods. You can turn it off if you want to feel safe. Just don't forget to turn it on afterwards...

Last edited:

chikubi

New to Mu-43
Pg. 148 of the G9 manual specifically recommends to turn it of when using a tripod.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I haven't used my G9 for astro yet, but either in AZ or EQ mode with drives running on my Sirius EQ 5 AZ-EQ I turned off the IS on my Gx8. If you are just using a photo tripod you should have no vibrations (assuming is it a fairly good one).

Trixter

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Leonard
My Panasonic G85 manual says to disable stabilization if being used on a tripod. I thought it would disable itself, but after shooting a 4k video on a tripod, I could see in the resulting footage that it was very subtly trying to "stabilize" the stable tripod shot. This was further confirmed when the battery ran down quicker than if IBIS were turned off. So I recommend shutting it off if you're going to put it on a tripod unless you can verify its behavior through testing.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
If you're doing night sky landscapes on a tripod with 10 to 15 second exposures, it would be best to turn off all stabilization. But, leaving it on would not cause any issues other than eat battery life.

Give it a try and shoot one with it on and the other off, and post them here.

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
If you're doing night sky landscapes on a tripod with 10 to 15 second exposures, it would be best to turn off all stabilization. But, leaving it on would not cause any issues other than eat battery life.

Give it a try and shoot one with it on and the other off, and post them here.
Thanks. I will try it both ways. My trip last week to shoot dark sky shots got cancelled due to us having extensive flooding where I live. When things get back to normal I hope to head out for some shooting.
GR

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
My Panasonic G85 manual says to disable stabilization if being used on a tripod. I thought it would disable itself, but after shooting a 4k video on a tripod, I could see in the resulting footage that it was very subtly trying to "stabilize" the stable tripod shot. This was further confirmed when the battery ran down quicker than if IBIS were turned off. So I recommend shutting it off if you're going to put it on a tripod unless you can verify its behavior through testing.
Thanks for the information!
GR

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Ok. I finally got to get out under some dark skies to try shooting some astrophotography with my G9.
Results? Mixed success. I found it difficult to see stars with both the LCD and the EVF so basically guessed where to point my camera. As for using stabilization vs not using it, I tried both ways and really saw no difference. I was impressed with the G9 starlight focusing using MF. I still have a lot to learn shooting out in the dark and processing those type images to get good results from it. Will do more practice when I get a chance.
GR

Mikehit

Mu-43 Veteran
In my experience, if there is a slight breeze that could tremble the tripod I leave it on. If it is totally calm, I turn it off.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom