Had it happen a few times but never made a mental note of what i did, well it happened today on this leaf shot, i just zoomed back a bit and it focused re zoomed and it focused again.
It would seem that Olympus must be aware of this problem since they allow you to customize the focus distance limits of the lens via their firmware. (At least with the E-M1 II and E-MX cameras.)I sent an email to Olympus here who rang me and discussed.
The bloke was surprised which surprised me knowing how widespread this is
This is not a new problem and all Lumix users seem to have experienced it one time or another. Your technique of focusing on something closer, to break the camera's insistent desire to not focus on the correct subject, is the only workaround I've found.I've had the combination of the G9 and 100-400 lens for over a year now. Currently at the latest firmware update as far as I know (v 1.2). I still run into a problem when photographing birds at close range...If the G9 grabs focus on the background, it is nearly impossible to refocus on the foreground bird. The only thing I can do at this point is point the camera at another nearby object that nearly fills up the framed image, then it will refocus on the foreground and I can then focus on the foreground bird -- if it's still there.
I have tried every focus point setting known to this camera. I have tried every autofocus setting known to man. No matter what setting, if you lose close focus and it grabs the background, good luck in re-establishing foreground focus on subjects that fill up about 40% of the frame or less.
The strange thing is, is that the G9 appears to recognize that a foreground object exists, but never switches focus. I use back button focus and keep pumping it, hoping it will grab the foreground subject.
It's always been a frustration with this camera and the 100-400mm lens. (I wish the lens had a close focus switch so that it would prevent the lens from trying to focus to infinity.)
I'm curious to know if others have this same problem and if there is any setting I am missing (although I think I have tried everything).
Because of this problem I primarily use this camera and lens for wildlife video work only.