G9 + 100-400mm lens: Autofocus Locks on Background

Had it happen a few times but never made a mental note of what i did, well it happened today on this leaf shot, i just zoomed back a bit and it focused re zoomed and it focused again.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Shooting a 200-800mm equivlanet is going to be challenging on any format of camera. AF with these long lenses are challenging and some shooting conditions make it even more challenging.

I use the default for the custom AF modes, and one area Manual+ AF with backbutton AF, and not have any problems with AF on the 100-300 at 300 which is a far less capable lens than the 100-400. But when testing out the 100-400 at the camera store with g9, it was pretty fast AF using the AFC and one are AF in manual.

Thus, if it focuses on the background all the time, there could be an issue with the lens or the camera. The only time I had a problem with the lens focusing on the background all the time in AFC, AFS/AFF, and M+AF was when the focus points were set to 255 AF points.

I'm looking at getting the 100-400mm for my EM5 2, but was wondering so checked in here.
As others said, the focus problem isn't unique
It happens with both EM5 1 & 2, 75-300, 40-150 2.8 exactly same as described here.

I sent an email to Olympus here who rang me and discussed.
The bloke was surprised which surprised me knowing how widespread this is

Seems the 100-400mm will suffer same!
Need to decide, but at least I can assume some things will be business as usual

Ajay1

Mu-43 Rookie
I sent an email to Olympus here who rang me and discussed.
The bloke was surprised which surprised me knowing how widespread this is
It would seem that Olympus must be aware of this problem since they allow you to customize the focus distance limits of the lens via their firmware. (At least with the E-M1 II and E-MX cameras.)

Daniel J. Cox

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Daniel J. Cox
I've had the combination of the G9 and 100-400 lens for over a year now. Currently at the latest firmware update as far as I know (v 1.2). I still run into a problem when photographing birds at close range...If the G9 grabs focus on the background, it is nearly impossible to refocus on the foreground bird. The only thing I can do at this point is point the camera at another nearby object that nearly fills up the framed image, then it will refocus on the foreground and I can then focus on the foreground bird -- if it's still there.

I have tried every focus point setting known to this camera. I have tried every autofocus setting known to man. No matter what setting, if you lose close focus and it grabs the background, good luck in re-establishing foreground focus on subjects that fill up about 40% of the frame or less.

The strange thing is, is that the G9 appears to recognize that a foreground object exists, but never switches focus. I use back button focus and keep pumping it, hoping it will grab the foreground subject.

It's always been a frustration with this camera and the 100-400mm lens. (I wish the lens had a close focus switch so that it would prevent the lens from trying to focus to infinity.)

I'm curious to know if others have this same problem and if there is any setting I am missing (although I think I have tried everything).

Because of this problem I primarily use this camera and lens for wildlife video work only.
This is not a new problem and all Lumix users seem to have experienced it one time or another. Your technique of focusing on something closer, to break the camera's insistent desire to not focus on the correct subject, is the only workaround I've found.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am sure the "new sensor" will fix this focus thingy. But in the mean time I am getting 6/7 out of 10 keepers for BIF and for me that is amazing, pretty close to my friends D500/200-500 setup. Plus except for very small birds the electronic shutter at high speeds and 20 FPS is the real deal IMHO.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom