G85 vs GX85

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rumplestiltskin, Dec 2, 2017.

1. rumplestiltskin

rumplestiltskin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2017
    El Paso, TX
    I'm happy with my GX85 but I have a photog friend who thinks she might be happier with a traditional "SLR"-type of body. So I'm wondering if, other than form factor, the GX85 and G85 have similar specs in terms of performance, features and, most of all, does the G85 use the new shutter design that is used in the GX85?

Thanks!

2. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Not sure if it is the same shutter, but it does use a new shutter. I think they called it magnetic or something. Someone else will be able to confirm.

But it is shutter free from what I can tell, and far better than the old generation shutters.

3. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I have both and for stills they are pretty much neck and neck in specs. The G85 has a way better EVF, bright and clear, while the GX85 has a smaller EVF that takes a bit of adjustment to get used to. The GX85 is easier for me to have with me, I usually have the 14-42 ver. 2 "kit" lens on it and in a small bag it stores in the center console of my Honda CRV.

But for planned projects I'll reach for the G85. The G85 has the very quiet shutter, but set the Electronic shutter to ON and it is absolutely silent. Plus the G85 way outpaces the GX85 for video, it has a microphone input which helps you get far better audio than the built in mics can achieve.

She'll probably be better off with the G85 if she's more attuned to the traditional SLR type form factor.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. rumplestiltskin

rumplestiltskin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2017
    El Paso, TX
    Really appreciate the input. I'm visiting with her next week and will let her play with my GX85 but will also show her this thread.

Thanks!

5. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    The G8* has a fully articulating LCD vs tilt only on the GX8*. There are also some differences in the menu options, such as af fine tuning on the G8* that the GX8* doesn’t have. There is also another feature that’s available on the G models but has been omitted from the GX. I know it’s something I’ve used on my previous G models, and that I felt ‘cheated’ when I found out the GX didn’t have it, but it’s that insignificant, I can’t even remember what it is :blush:

Edit: I've remembered another one. A wired remote shutter release. The GX8* doesn't have an input for one, you have to use the wifi app.

Edit 2: I think there's some external flash sync differences too.

Edit 3: The difference I couldn't remember is the function to hold the focus position whilst the camera is switched off. The G models have it, the GX80/85 doesn't

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    For me form factor is a big difference, I prefer the ranger finder style for what I use m4/3 for. I also prefer the tilting vs articulated LCD and that it's significantly smaller from the standpoint of what's missing? The GX flash can be tilted to bounce and has the 4th pin in the shoe to power the little Panasonic DMW-FL70-K and (more importantly) the Olympus FL-LM3 with it's tilting/rotating head. Sure it's not very powerful, but is very handy.

7. jaomul

jaomul Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    Image quality between these 2 is identical. The gx80 is a tidy good camera that I hated using. The EVF never bothered me. I sold it and got the g80 which I prefer immensely, but I could see this being the exact opposite for some people who prefer the smaller form factor

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

Don't forget that the G85 has weather sealing (with the right lenses). That can be a big plus for some.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    jaomul is right on with this. The key to satisfaction with the GX80/85 is to be adaptable enough to get along with the EVF. If coming from the standard SLR/DSLR design and having been used to a somewhat bright optical prism finder, the smaller, a bit darker EVF on the GX80/85 can take some getting used to. But the more one works with it the more one should come to appreciate the instant review in the EVF on bright days when an LCD can be hard to see (I have mine set for 2 second review - light touch on the shutter clears it). And in Manual (both stills and video mode) exposure with CONSTANT PREVIEW set to ON the ability to preview exposure effect in the EVF is priceless.

But for most, I believe the G80/85 with be easier to adapt to due to a more widely used form factor and brighter, larger EVF. Again, I have and use both.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Cagey75

Cagey75 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2017
    A good EVF should make you forget that you are using an EVF. The G80 does this, apart from if you have constant preview on for longer exposures, then you get some lovely lag.
    Better grip, weather sealing, more comfortable [IMO] body to hold and better on-body control options make the G80/85 worth the extra.

11. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I agree with everybody here -- the big differences are the ergonomics (size, EVF & grip) and the weather sealing. I have a GX85 and am not at all tempted to switch, as I like the small size, don't mind the EVF, and don't have any weather-sealed lenses anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Cagey75

Cagey75 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2017
    I never get this, weather resistance for the body is still protective regardless of the lens. Weather resistant lenses only have a rubber gasket to prevent moisture/sand etc getting through the mount, but even a non WR lens provides sufficient protection in light rain or against heavier dust. Say someone spills a drink over your camera, the body sealing is going to prevent any liquid getting in o the electronics via the buttons/controls, even with a non WR lens attached. I'd rather have it than not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    One factor about the GX85 EVF that is often overlooked - it has excellent eye relief (don't know the numbers).
    I wear glasses and I don't even have to press them against the EVF to see the whole image.
    Makes the camera very quick to use on the street.
    The GX85 is almost a perfect street camera.
    It has the design decisions Oly should have made on the Pen F.
    If only it had a better grip . . .

14. I have both, and if I could only keep one it would be the G85. I just prefer the ergonomics of the G85 by a wide margin. For most photo (as opposed to video) uses the the images the 2 cameras produce are practically identical. I do like how little space the GX85 and 14-140 take up in my bag when I am traveling light, and enjoy having both options, but if I could only have one I would except the size trade off, and say goodbye to the gx85.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    I agree - the G85 is the better all-around camera - in several ways.
    Brilliant bargain at the price they are selling for these days, esp. used.
    I think because of people moving up to the G9.
    There is no top to the mountain . . . :shakehead:

16. Krandall

Krandall Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2017
    Metrowest, Boston
    Karen Randall
    Tell her, however, that I was a TOTAL DSLR person... from the time I switched from film SLR, and I LOVE my GX85. I chose it specifically because I wanted a (much) smaller travel camera. I got it for Christmas last year, and had to MAKE myself use it at first. I FORCED myself to leave my DSLR at home on several short trips last spring, so I couldn't default back to the familiar. I took both cameras with me to Borneo in Sept., and the DSLR stayed wrapped up in my luggage for almost the entire trip. I still use the DSLR for (very small) macro photography fro my work, but I always have the GX85 with me. It is a pleasure, and does things the DSLR can't. (the post focus function is amazing!!!!) I've never shot a G85, so I can't speak to that one, but I'm not sure I'd want an "in between" size camera.

Yes, the IMO poor) EVF takes some getting used to, especially if you are used to a big, clear OVF on a DSLR. But I've learned to trust the camera, and I only use the EVF for exceptionally bright situations, where I can't use the screen, and then I have learned I can trust the camera, and only use the EVF for framing and chasing the focus point. Once I learned that it wouldn't let me down, I stopped worrying about the fact that the EVF wasn't very good.

Just a little different POV for her to consider, in deciding what's important to her.

17. Krandall

Krandall Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2017
    Metrowest, Boston
    Karen Randall
    Yes! That is something that has made me consider a G85 actually as a "second body", for bad weather conditions. The few times I had to shoot in the rain, even with a rain cover, I really worried about the GX85.