G85 vs GX85 vs GX8

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by InlawBiker, Sep 21, 2016.

1. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Alright you knew this question was coming. It happens whenever a new camera's announced - I get all excited and must own it! Then things settle down and I look closer - there are 3 or 4 cameras really close together in features here. Help me figure out if I have this all right.

G85 - has everything I'd want it seems - I love it. You also gain a drive mode dial which is kind of nice.

The GX8 - is more or less a beefier GX85:
    + new sensor
    + 1/8000 shutter
    - old shutter mechanism prone to shock

GX85 is pretty much the same as G85 except:
    - smaller EVF
    - No weather-sealing
    - flip-up rather than flip-out screen

The G7 it seems, which I have also been lusting for, takes over as thew new redheaded stepchild of the Panasonic line.

I have been "bit" before with the G3. I bought the G3 new and ended up not liking it, and I learned my lesson about buying new gear that time. However it feels like the G85 is a keeper that could last a good many years.

2. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    The GX85 also doesn't have the Microphone In jack.

The GX-8 has the largest EVF which is tiltable.
    The GX-8 can't stabilize video.
    The GX-8 has NFC. (Yawn.)

If you like the form factor, I think the G85 is a no brainer. (Assuming the reviewers and early adopters don't find any problems.)

Although I think Panasonic has already discounted the GX-85 to somewhat cheaper than the G-85.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    To me the G85 has a far superior button/dial layout. It's just like my G7 that I thoroughly enjoy using. I have my buttons/dials custom mapped, and I can get to absolutely everything I need without having to interact with the menu interface.

4. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Unless the Form Factor is a significant issue the G85 seems to just overall be better than the GX8 as the general consensus seems to be that the 20mp sensor in the GX8 and Pen-F is not significant upgrade. The biggest difference certainly seems to be in camera height, which is what appeals to me in the GX80 (I own the GX7) and which makes me not want to upgrade to the GX8. The G85 is nearly 2cm taller than the GX85 and 1cm taller than the GX8. If that does not matter, it's the camera to get until the new Em1 comes out.

5. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I suspect a lot of us are thinking about these cameras.

1. The way I see things, the only real advantage of the GX8 over the G85 is that the EVF flips up. The GX8 isn't even smaller than the G85 (it is shorter, but also wider), so I just can't imagine why anybody at this point would get a GX8. (Though this means that I expect there to be some good GX8 sales soon.)

2. For me, that means we're really talking about a comparison between the GX85 and G85. I feel like there is great product distinction here: they have very similar image quality, but the G85 has weather sealing, more frills (microphone input, battery grip, better EVF, etc), and has better ergonomics, while the GX85 is smaller and cheaper.

After looking at a camerasize comparison( http://j.mp/2cpo6mI) with my G5, it's clear that the G series has been slowly getting bigger in size. While no single new model has been fantastically larger than the previous, the cumulative growth from the G5 to the G85 is significant. For that reason, and because I'm cheap, I'll probably get a GX85, unless Olympus has a fire sale on the E-M10 ii.

In short: G85 for all of the features plus weather sealing or GX85 for the same image quality, but smaller and cheaper. GX8 has no niche right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    FYI, G85 can do 1/8000 max shutter as well.

I view the G85 and GX8 as equivalent cameras in different form factors. The GH5 will clearly sit atop the Panasonic MILC pyramid.

7. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I agree, I can't wait to see it's final specs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Do all 3 have DFD AF?

Thanks

9. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I wonder how long it will be before we see a GX9, i.e. with the new features in the GX85/G85 in a GX8 body. Personally I prefer the GX8/GX85 form factor, and I'd prefer the larger and tilting EVF of the GX8, but the new shutter etc in the GX85. It's too hard, I think I'll just have to stick with my GX7 for now :)

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    If I prefer an SLR style I would get the G85. But for the way I use m4/3 I prefer a rangefinder. And I prefer the size and tilt screen of the GX85 over the GX8. So for me the choice is simple.

But you said you purchased a G3 before and didn't like? What didn't you like and what are you currently shooting? I went through a good dozen bodies before settling on the features that I really wanted.

11. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    The G3 took good photos, I didn't like the fiddly controls. This was their first attempt to use the touch-screen for most things. It was really hard to change settings without menu-diving, which seems to have been remedied here.

12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    What are you using now and what do you like about it? Or is this another dive into the m4/3 pool from another system?

13. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Good question, I mostly use a Nikon D700, and had a small Micro 4/3 kit for travel, hiking and camping. I replaced the M43 kit with a Sony RX10. So D700 for most things, RX10 for travel and hiking/camping. I would replace the RX10 with G85 + 12-60.

I'll keep the D700 for now. For the most part the Sony takes great photos, but it's even more fiddly than the G3. I don't enjoy using the camera at all. I do want good video though and I'm keen on 4k. I think the new G85 12-60 kit would be a great replacement. Who knows, I'm hopeful the G85 can actually replace the D700, but when mobility isn't a concern it's pretty hard to beat.

14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    While I like the GX8 form factor more, Panasonic made a couple questionable decisions with it. Mainly, I am very disappointed by the dedicated exposure compensation dial - the fact that I can't use the rear modular dial for exposure compensation in A or S mode is annoying, because it is very close at hand and has good haptics. That's merely annoying. But the fact that you can't use a dedicated EV comp dial to bias the brightness in M Mode with Auto ISO is unforgivable for me.

I definitely like the left-side high-magnification tiltable EVF, but I am curious to see how well the G85 works. I think the grip on the GX8 is a little bit too much about style and not quite as ergonomic, though the thumb hook is very comfortable.

The AF-selector dial is in a better place on the G85 (as it was on the GX7). And the drive mode dial is useful.

The 20MP sensor definitely has way better long-exposure noise than the old 16MP sensor, so that's a bit of a bummer. In terms of detail though, without the AA filter the G85 looks like it can get some really crisp results.

Finally, the shutter is clearly better on the G85 (I have no real need for 1/8000s) and the IBIS is also a big improvement, if only because it finally offers a stabilized view through the EVF upon half-press.

In terms of value, I know that the GX8 is available with the 12-60 for free in the US, but there's no such luck in Canada. The GX8 is currently on sale for $949 CDN up here (down from $1599!), but the G85's debut price is $1300 with the 12-60mm, so I expect that will end up being extremely good value in a little bit once the GH5 and E-M1 II launch and gives some air above this camera in terms of market positioning...

As seems to always be the case, I'll keep analysing and then realize that my GX7 is still a really beautiful camera to use. We'll see what the sensor results look like in the E-M1 II. That could be the one that finally makes me upgrade.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. MrQ

MrQ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2015
    Canada
    In Canada the GX8 is already considerably cheaper than the G85. I wonder if it will drop more.... It will become a hard choice then since you do get a nicer evf, 20mp sensor etc. I also like the rangefinder form factor much better.

I think Panasonic will update the GX8 sooner rather than later. Olympus should also look at updating the E-M5ii by Q1 2017. It's falling behind GX85, G85 etc

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Before you jump into 4k, realize that if you want to do post processing of any type (even splicing clips together), you are going to need a powerful computer. You can get buy with a slow machine but the editing process will be painfully slow.

That will depend a lot on the glass you use.

17. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I don't have much issue with my mid-level 2013 13" rMBP. So you don't need some super computer.

18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I shoot Nikon for my event work and m4/3 for everything else. I owned an RX100 and tried a few of the mirrorless bodies, but I agree fiddly. Maybe more consumer electronics than camera? If you're looking for something more like your Nikon you might want to look at an Olympus body. I could setup my E-M10 mkI so it handled about the same as my Nikon bodies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    That's not exactly a cheap or out of date machine. I'm more referring to people still running early i3 and i5 machines with low and slow ram, and so-so hard drives.

20. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    yeah they've essentially killed the GX8. I was surprised to find out the G85 was weather sealed esp since the GX85 wasn't. People who wanted a weather sealed RangeFinder styled body may have been interested in the GX8 but not with the older technology (shutter/ibis) thats in it. Thats where the GX9 is gonna have to come in I guess, but we haven't heard a peep about that.
    But even if they're gonna position the GX9 as a 'Pro' Rangerfinder type camera, what features are they going to use to differentiate it? At least the GH5 will have those awesome 4K movie features and codecs.
    Maybe they intend to group the rangefinder styled bodies together and keep the GX85 as it is then go with the bigger and tilting EVF, weather sealing, bigger battery, the new IBIS, dual SD slots, the new shutter + the upcoming GH5's faster processor and a 20MB sensor /w no AA filter and call it the GX9.

• Agree Agree x 2