G85 Users : exposure lock when using back button focus?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by heli-mech, Aug 10, 2017.

1. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Could anyone with a G85 (newest firmware) verify the following behaviour.

In custom menu:
    1. Set AF/AE Lock to AF-ON
    2. Set Shutter AF to OFF
    Then half press shutter and see if the exposure locks, mine doesn't, and even if you try to map another function button to AEL that button just mirrors the function you programed the actual AEL button for (ie AF-ON)

My GX85 does not do this, it locks exposure on shutter half press when using back button focus and all my previous cameras either did this or gave the option to do this. As it stands there is no way to lock exposure and recompose when using back button focus, you can use exposure compensation to a point or touch AE but thats a bit of a pain.

2. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    You must be using one of the automated modes, I work in Manual Exp mode almost exclusively in both still and video. For me (on all the G series, GX series, and GH series) the back button (when configured to AF ON) does one single autofocus operation, locks focus, and switches automatically to MF. It remains in MF until I press the back button again (in which case it reverts to default half press of shutter for AF), change mode, or power down.

Because I'm already in Manual Exp mode, exposure is already locked at where I have it set. You might give Manual a try, once used to it it's pretty simple and quick to use.

3. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Thanks, but at this time I am just trying to determine if there is a firmware bug, issue with my camera, or just a weird programming choice, as pretty much every other camera I have used that you can setup for back button focus at the least gives you the option to lock exposure with half press if the shutter.

4. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Anyone?

5. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Im at work but I'm sure my G85 exposure locks on half press. (I too have it set up for back button focus).

Interestingly though, the evf view doesnt 'lock' unless I'm in M mode with 'Live Preview' enabled.

6. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    If you can check later that would be great, I thought mine did too, before I go and do a full reset (or warranty inquiry) I wouldn't mind a confirmation one way or the other.

7. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Just home. Half press of shutter locks the shutter speed exposure in A mode.

Af/Ae Lock = AF-On
    Shutter AF = Off

Firmware 1.2.

8. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Thanks, guess I'll try a reset and see if I can reload the firmware.

*update: full reset fixed whatever the problem was, just have to redo all settings everything now...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 12:52 AM